Boxer Walker

RIP Arnie, hard as nails and a nice guy with it.  I think I am right in saying he is in both Town and Havens Hall of Fame.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

31 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

RIP Arnie, hard as nails and a nice guy with it.  I think I am right in saying he is in both Town and Havens Hall of Fame.

Yes, you are correct, Boxer is in Whitehaven's Hall of Fame too

RIP Boxer

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Remember him as a Kid and didn't his transfer from Workington to Whitehaven cause a bit of a stir at the time ? Didnt they pay quite a bit of money at the time?

Reminded me a bit of Geoff Toovey. Small, tenacious with a mop of blonde hair everywhere !! 

Cracking little player and did his best to ensure Leigh didn't win the Championship in 82 whilst Haven was well relegated, but finally overcome his resilient team.

Great loss. RIP

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Very sad news. 

Purely on a RL front...he was unlucky from a representative point of view to play during a golden age of scrum halves (Millward, Nash and one or two others). Really good player. 

Very unlucky a bit like lee briers PH but I think he once got selected for a  World XIII.

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Remember him as a Kid and didn't his transfer from Workington to Whitehaven cause a bit of a stir at the time ? Didnt they pay quite a bit of money at the time?

Reminded me a bit of Geoff Toovey. Small, tenacious with a mop of blonde hair everywhere !! 

Cracking little player and did his best to ensure Leigh didn't win the Championship in 82 whilst Haven was well relegated, but finally overcome his resilient team.

Great loss. RIP

Other way around. Town signed him from Kells amateur club. Then the great Town side of the late 70s was broken up and players sold off such as the Gorley brothers to Saints and Widnes, Eddie Bowman to Leigh etc and Boxer was sold to Haven in 1980 for £30k.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On holiday so only just seen the sad news,a true legend of Cumbrian RL who’s talent warranted far more international caps than the couple he gained.

I was at the Recre the day he broke his neck in the game against Hull KR,never thought he’d be seen on a rugby field again but the tough little ###### bounced back. RIP Boxer.

16 hours ago, Derwent said:

Other way around. Town signed him from Kells amateur club. Then the great Town side of the late 70s was broken up and players sold off such as the Gorley brothers to Saints and Widnes, Eddie Bowman to Leigh etc and Boxer was sold to Haven in 1980 for £30k.

Yes, thats the bit I was on about. He could have gone to almost anybody but chose Haven for a huge sum of money at the time. Worky had a decent side in the mid to late 70's.

I remember him playing against the Kiwis for GB partnering John Woods at Half Back. I think he just left Workington.

We had a lot of good players in that 70’s town side but it was the smallest of them all that made them tick. An absolute pleasure to watch him through that time. RIP Boxer, you left a lot of people with a host of great memories. 

A testament to how good Boxer was is the Open Rugby 1979 World Team (voted for by RL journalists from here, Oz and NZ) where he was named at scrum half ahead of the likes of Peter Sterling and Tommy Raudonokis. The only other British player to make the team was John Joyner at centre.

• Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally