My company has signed up to e-training and I've just spent 2 hours doing 3 of the most boring modules ever created in the history of human and alien life... I was just sat in the living room doing it on my phone while Mrs. Goose watched Escape to the Country as well so I didn't bother doing it with sound on despite having to watch a load of videos which didn't have subtitles and still managed to pass with flying colours.

Mainly this was due to the fact the tests were so easy it was bordering on patronising and condescending like they were talking to a 5 year old and I've been doing this or similar jobs for 10 years now without needing to do any of this rubbish so I know how it all works and can do my job standing on my head. I'm guessing my company has only started doing this because they need to get some files in order at head office or something or there's some legal requirements about training that they realise they've not met. 

God knows, anyway very bored now. What experiences have others had with this online training ######? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

We have a whole set of these to do every year. H & S, DSE, Fraud.

Like you just go through the motions.

Same at my own employer. 

It always just feels like a box ticking exercise so the company can wipe their hands clean if anything happens.

• Like 1

I have done some really good s-training courses that have been really useful, mainly IT based as that's my industry. CBT Nuggets is pretty good for IT stuff.

Some other mandatory stuff has been abysmal.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Same at my own employer. 

It always just feels like a box ticking exercise so the company can wipe their hands clean if anything happens.

There's good and bad. A previous employer had some really good online stuff that genuinely kept me engaged and I did feel I was learning. The current one is so poor you can literally start the video and then come on here on a different screen before answering their untaxing multiple choice questions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's not a question of quality for e-training it's a issue of cost so 99% of it is a thing you do so it looks like you've done it, a kind of nice pretense that we all share cos it's simpler that way and it can still go on the CV.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Previous courses, you could press play, turn off the volume, do something else and pass the test at the end.

New course has multiple 'interactions', so you have to keep pressing things to get through it.... same questions at end.....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I think the pass score necessary on these is a bit of a give away about just how legitimate they are.

If I listed all the ones I've done online,  I'd look like a cross between gifted and talented, mensa and qualified for every job ever invented.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

The ones I liked best though were the ones where the information is misleading and even wrong so that when you go back to answer that question you still don't know the correct response.

On 13/05/2022 at 20:24, Red Willow said:

We have a whole set of these to do every year. H & S, DSE, Fraud.

Like you just go through the motions.

I suppose if you were employed in sewage anaylsis, this could be really relevant and useful!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I think the pass score necessary on these is a bit of a give away about just how legitimate they are.

If I listed all the ones I've done online,  I'd look like a cross between gifted and talented, mensa and qualified for every job ever invented.

The pass score on the ones I was doing was 80%. The final test was just 10 questions so you could get 2 wrong and all the questions were were just questions that were taken out of the earlier stages of the training, questions that it wasn't possible to get wrong in the earlier stage because you could change your answer as many times as you wanted until you got it right and moved onto the next video. I did 3 modules and got 90% on 2 and 80% on one despite, as I said, not even watching the videos that accounted for the sum of the training. 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

The ones I liked best though were the ones where the information is misleading and even wrong so that when you go back to answer that question you still don't know the correct response.

The ones I was doing were so poorly put together that not only was some of the info misleading but it was full of grammatical and spelling mistakes as well. A training course that couldn't even get basic English right. The test I got 80% on, I actually failed the first time and was allowed to retake it so just changed one answer I was unsure about and didn't bother checking the rest because I knew that would take me up to the 80% necessary. I was only unsure about the one I changed because it was a number of pictures that were so small and such poor resolution that I simply didn't see the difference between them. I still have no idea which other 2 I got wrong because none of the other answers in the multiple choice made any sense at all so I'm attributing that to incorrect info as you allude to. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The pass score on the ones I was doing was 80%. The final test was just 10 questions so you could get 2 wrong and all the questions were were just questions that were taken out of the earlier stages of the training, questions that it wasn't possible to get wrong in the earlier stage because you could change your answer as many times as you wanted until you got it right and moved onto the next video. I did 3 modules and got 90% on 2 and 80% on one despite, as I said, not even watching the videos that accounted for the sum of the training. 

The ones I was doing were so poorly put together that not only was some of the info misleading but it was full of grammatical and spelling mistakes as well. A training course that couldn't even get basic English right. The test I got 80% on, I actually failed the first time and was allowed to retake it so just changed one answer I was unsure about and didn't bother checking the rest because I knew that would take me up to the 80% necessary. I was only unsure about the one I changed because it was a number of pictures that were so small and such poor resolution that I simply didn't see the difference between them. I still have no idea which other 2 I got wrong because none of the other answers in the multiple choice made any sense at all so I'm attributing that to incorrect info as you allude to. 

It's not just a measure of those making up and creating the test, it's a crystal clear symptom of the importance they're given and lack of any real substance. E Courses the new outsourcing!

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

My biggest problem is having to re do the same modules every year without the learning changing. It just breeds apathy and the click to the end.

I'd say for a good 10 years with my old employer I had to do the exact same fire safety training every single year.