Magic Round NRL

I was hoping for a miracle Warriors rescue job after Cook was binned.

Shouldn't it have been a penalty to the Warriors on halfway, after the Captain's Challenge? A Souths player touched it charging down and then a player in front touched it. The bunker said the challenge was unsuccessful and that it was game over.

Am I misunderstanding the laws?

30 000 in for the first game last night, built up for 40 000+ for the second.

Another 30 000 for the first game tonight, with reports about 38 000 in for the second. All tickets sold leading up to the Penrith v. Storm game later tonight. So about 52 000.

Magic Round is something that no other code can come close to replicating in this country, it is a gold-plated promotional and revenue generating opportunity. The NRL are going to have to do a lot more to make sure that the nonsense that happened last night doesn`t ruin this as a family event. I read reports that the fight in last nights crowd went on for one minute before security intervened. Not good enough.

• Like 4

They`ve been saving this for Magic Round.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal WA’s Minister Sport David Templeman and the chairman of Venues West Peter Bauchop are in Brisbane for Magic Round for talks with NRL powerbrokers about a possible alliance with one of rugby league’s most famous old clubs.

The chairman of the North Sydney Bears, Daniel Dickson, has confirmed the two parties had recent talks.

They are obviously attracted to our heritage,” Dickson said.

“The path for us was always to go alone but they have reached out and we’ll listen to all options.

“We both have a desire to be in the NRL so anything is possible.

The Perth bid is super impressive in that it has the full support of a WA government that is prepared to invest money into the bid and provide long-term financial support.

It would also open up a new market for the game with huge growth opportunities.

The NRL has added the Dolphins as the 17th team for next year but are keen to add an 18th franchise to increase broadcast revenue from the extra game each weekend.

Commission chairman Peter V’landys and CEO Andrew Abdo will no doubt have talks with WA government officials in Perth for Origin II on June 26.

WA would want the majority of home games to be played in Perth but North Sydney Oval would host up to six games each year.

HBF Park, a modern rectangular stadium, would host the matches in Perth.

The Bears might be finished as a stand-alone NRL club but they are pretty wealthy and committed to having a team in the NRL somehow. This sounds promising.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal WA’s Minister Sport David Templeman and the chairman of Venues West Peter Bauchop are in Brisbane for Magic Round for talks with NRL powerbrokers about a possible alliance with one of rugby league’s most famous old clubs.

The chairman of the North Sydney Bears, Daniel Dickson, has confirmed the two parties had recent talks.

“The path for us was always to go alone but they have reached out and we’ll listen to all options.

The Perth bid is super impressive in that it has the full support of a WA government that is prepared to invest money into the bid and provide long-term financial support.

The NRL has added the Dolphins as the 17th team for next year but are keen to add an 18th franchise to increase broadcast revenue from the extra game each weekend.

Commission chairman Peter V’landys and CEO Andrew Abdo will no doubt have talks with WA government officials in Perth for Origin II on June 26.

WA would want the majority of home games to be played in Perth but North Sydney Oval would host up to six games each year.

The Bears might be finished as a stand-alone NRL club but they are pretty wealthy and committed to having a team in the NRL somehow. This sounds promising.

If WA gets its own nrl team it should probably be a true WA team and not the Bears.  

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Copa said:

If WA gets its own nrl team it should probably be a true WA team and not the Bears.  

Exactly, 6 games a year in Sydney isn't a WA team. It's just another way of the Bears trying to get back into the NRL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Within two years, three at a push, that would be an entirely Sydney based club.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I want Perth in but that bid is awful.

Anything that involves the Bears will be a compromise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Within two years, three at a push, that would be an entirely Sydney based club.

There`s a pommy bloke who lives in Perth who posts in the Aussie forums who`s heavily involved in WA Rugby League. He reckons that they`ve had a great year over there this year with 5 or 6 new junior clubs springing up and he insists that the money would be there for a WA bid.

That begs the question of course why involve the Bears, I can only imagine it is their pathways. The Bears aren`t short of a quid which is probably why Souths, Roosters and the Fijian Silk Tails have been tied up with them. 

If anything I would say that Perth would no longer need the Bears a lot sooner than the Bears wouldn`t need Perth. If they`re sending Gov`t Ministers to meet NRL officials shows something is cooking, and I can only imagine the strings that V`landy`s will attach; financial, stadiums and otherwise before they get near the 18th license.

BTW the WA Gov`t. announced during the week a $6b (3.4b pnd) surplus, in an era when Govt`s are drowning in red ink they are cashed up and ready to spend. Foxtel have also said they are ready to tip in for the right 18th bid and Perth fits the timeslot that they need filled perfectly as well. I think there is a lot right about a Perth bid.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There`s a pommy bloke who lives in Perth who posts in the Aussie forums who`s heavily involved in WA Rugby League. He reckons that they`ve had a great year over there this year with 5 or 6 new junior clubs springing up and he insists that the money would be there for a WA bid.

That begs the question of course why involve the Bears, I can only imagine it is their pathways. The Bears aren`t short of a quid which is probably why Souths, Roosters and the Fijian Silk Tails have been tied up with them. 

If anything I would say that Perth would no longer need the Bears a lot sooner than the Bears wouldn`t need Perth. If they`re sending Gov`t Ministers to meet NRL officials shows something is cooking, and I can only imagine the strings that V`landy`s will attach; financial, stadiums and otherwise before they get near the 18th license.

BTW the WA Gov`t. announced during the week a $6b (3.4b pnd) surplus, in an era when Govt`s are drowning in red ink they are cashed up and ready to spend. Foxtel have also said they are ready to tip in for the right 18th bid and Perth fits the timeslot that they need filled perfectly as well. I think there is a lot right about a Perth bid.

How are North Sydney Bears cashed if you don't me me asking ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EggFace said:

How are North Sydney Bears cashed if you don't me me asking ?

I don`t mind at all mate, they`ve got a whopping great big Leagues club right in the centre of one of the most expensive places to live in Sydney, if not Australia, Sydney`s lower north shore. They are probably about a mile away from North Sydney CBD, second in NSW to the Sydney city CBD, which is why the Bears used to get such high end sponsors and of course it is a wealthy demographic in the North Sydney area.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t mind at all mate, they`ve got a whopping great big Leagues club right in the centre of one of the most expensive places to live in Sydney, if not Australia, Sydney`s lower north shore. They are probably about a mile away from North Sydney CBD, second in NSW to the Sydney city CBD, which is why the Bears used to get such high end sponsors and of course it is a wealthy demographic in the North Sydney area.

Sounds an ideal place to have a new NRL team ;).

Doe's the League club have big Rugby League nursery as well Touch and Tag etc.

Just now, EggFace said:

Sounds an ideal place to have a new NRL team ;).

Doe's the League club have big Rugby League nursery as well Touch and Tag etc.

No and that`s the problem, it`s a wealthy and aging area and what families are there tend to have small families who aren`t likely to let their kids play League.

Having said that they do have juniors in both boys and girls but probably don`t have access to the numbers that would allow the NRL to let them back in the comp. Expansion has definitely got to be in areas where there is potential for producing large numbers of juniors.

Bear`s stadium is a lovely old ground but hemmed in by residential housing and there is a snow-ball`s chance in hell of it ever being anything more than that. It`s the sort of ground, like the suburb itself, that will attract a dilettante`s crowd of League supporters perhaps for a couple of games per year just because it is fashionable. You wouldn`t want to base an NRL club around it.

• Like 1

There's an unfortunate video doing the rounds on social media of a large brawl between fans sporting different club shirts at this event, some clearly well under the influence of whatever.

Very disappointing as I've been to all but one of the UK Magic Weekends and have never seen any trouble.

Mind you, I do sit with the prawn sandwich brigade...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

24 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

There's an unfortunate video doing the rounds on social media of a large brawl between fans sporting different club shirts at this event, some clearly well under the influence of whatever.

If it's the video I saw, it was quite pathetic and involved a couple of "big lads" punching someone from behind and a lot of jumper pulling!

Not acceptable, but hardly a massive brawl.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If it's the video I saw, it was quite pathetic and involved a couple of "big lads" punching someone from behind and a lot of jumper pulling!

Not acceptable, but hardly a massive brawl.

I said "large brawl", not massive.

Think I might report you to the mods for a "massive misquote".

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I usually skip the Fox League panel (Sky usually cut away anyway...) but I have to say that LARA PITT is a breath of fresh air in the presenting chair. Pleasant, smart, speaks well and isn't brash.

Looking forward particularly to the last game between Wests and NQ.

• Like 1

Great win by the Raiders over the Sharks (30-10).

Even more amazing when you consider the Raiders had three players sent to the sin bin and two of those overlapped. The Raiders were down to 11 men for a while.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Been watching most of these games and they put SLto shame and SL was formed to compete with the Aussies, no nearer now then before.

Its no wonder. In terms of salaries the gap has only widened.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if we had a bigger Salery Cap and paid more wages our homegrown players would improve?

Yes Super League would improve if players were paid more. If the SL salary cap had kept pace with the NRL's and had parity today, as it was at the start of SL, then it would be £5.4 million.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that SL wouldn't be a much higher standard of competition if teams were paying this?