Warrington Wolves - laughing stock

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do always think you miss the point about the Wire promotional activity. We've been lively and relatively sharp in this area for the last few years (in RL terms) and our crowds have been good. We've done pretty much zip this year and crowds are well down. 

It shows that we need to work hard to be getting that 10 to 12k average, and if we drop the ball on it we soon drop down to a core of 7.5k to 8k.

It’s been comical for years. “Pie smash”, “the Wolves are waiting” and the whole Whizzy Rascal episode were laughably bad. I’d confidently say Warrington’s crowds are in spite of, not because of, the daft stuff they’ve done. 

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s been comical for years. “Pie smash”, “the Wolves are waiting” and the whole Whizzy Rascal episode were laughably bad. I’d confidently say Warrington’s crowds are in spite of, not because of, the daft stuff they’ve done. 

But you are only looking at one tiny element, and seem weirdly angry about silly promos. 

I don't know your age, but I'd also suggest maybe some of these things are not really aimed at the likes of you and I. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Maybe the key for Warrington is to stop trying to buy the title and actually work to develop hungry talented kids, like the ones who destroyed us a few weeks back.

We sign plenty players in, we use plenty of our own. Much the same as other clubs tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We sign plenty players in, we use plenty of our own. Much the same as other clubs tbh. 

What was the logic behind Widdop, Williams and Austin all being signed, presumably on a fair wedge given other interest in them?

3 into 2, on big wages? Then GI on top? Seems the money could be better spent.

Just now, Ant said:

What was the logic behind Widdop, Williams and Austin all being signed, presumably on a fair wedge given other interest in them?

3 into 2, on big wages? Then GI on top? Seems the money could be better spent.

Williams was signed to replace Austin, it wasn't really a 3 into 2 situation, but we couldn't just sack off Austin. Signing two England halves is not bad business. 

GI was a failed gamble. Didn't we get him removed from the cap when he retired? 

But I'm OK with us trying bold things and them not working. That's part of the fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the Warrington board sack Powell, they’ve completely misunderstood the problem. A lopsided salary structure and reliance on signing ‘stars’ that quickly get comfortable hasn’t worked. The youth system in place is currently as fruitful as it’s been for years, and Powell is absolutely the right man to take advantage of this. 

We’re hearing lots of whispers of resistance to the change in systems from some of the senior players, that’s created a bit of a rift. We’ll that’s just tough; Powell has a history of improving clubs and players, especially when he has some decent untapped raw talent rather than a bunch of ageing ‘stars’. Going forward there will be a greater reliance on clubs developing their own SL talent as there won’t be any rich pickings from the NRL. Our two sugar daddies should be smart enough to realise that.

Or maybe we could just sign Wayne Bennett and offer Greg Inglis another chance at a comeback. Would make a good Twitter feed for a day or two.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Watson had the same problem with some players being resistant to change.

They are now elsewhere and either being average or worse. 

I'm no fan of Powell, and his "it's the refs fault" ways, but he gets results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

But if you sink so much money on them thats part of the reason you cant have a good pack. 

If as a lot of people seem to be suggesting forwards are so vital then you have to tilt your cap accordingly. 

Powell needs to be given more than one transfer cycle.

I don't think this is really the case when both are marquee players and in terms of salary cap they both only take up £150k. Half backs are premium players and cost more anyway so even two average half backs wouldn't be taking up a great deal less in terms of salary cap room. 

• Like 1

I've no doubt the Wolves will be fine.

They are not a laughing stock anymore than Myler at Leeds.

Taking the mick is just a part of RL culture as much as any other sport.

Whether or not Powell will be given time to change what he needs to at the club is another matter.

There is no doubt that change can have an adverse effect and they're missing Hill almost as much as Salford are missing Gil Dudson.

I don't think they should lower their expectations and aspirations though.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think this is really the case when both are marquee players and in terms of salary cap they both only take up £150k. Half backs are premium players and cost more anyway so even two average half backs wouldn't be taking up a great deal less in terms of salary cap room. 

Indeed. We had marquee halves for a while now and still afforded a pack. 

The pack signings just haven't worked really. Mulhern and Bullock are big lads and at times do a job with Cooper, at other times they are clueless. Philbin has gone backwards at a rate of knotts. 

The likes of Dudson are being mentioned now, and he's the type if grunt who'd do a job, but really I don't think it was too much of a stretch to believe Mulhern and Bullock could have come in and done a battering ram job. 

The biggest issue we have imho is that we have no dynamism, no firecrackers who are going to win a collision in defence or attack that is going to change the flow of a game. A Westwood, Akauola, Murdoch-Masilla, Hill. We've loaded with back rowers who are grafters. 

FWIW I don't have too much of an issue with effort levels and what they are trying, I think the effort is there, but the amount of tries we have where you see players afterwards looking at each other confused as to why its been conceded is a concern. 

• Like 1

The Warrington team isn't bad from top to bottom. It just needs a good forward or two signed and 2023 could be a very different season. No, really. They need to strengthen the forward pack and they have the backs to exploit that. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

36 minutes ago, RayCee said:

The Warrington team isn't bad from top to bottom. It just needs a good forward or two signed and 2023 could be a very different season. No, really. They need to strengthen the forward pack and they have the backs to exploit that. 

agree with this, we are being bullied by bigger and better packs (something most said at the beginning of the season). Mulhern is just not good enough, nor is Holmes IMHO and were poor signings. If a couple of good big forwards can be brought in, leaders as well, then we'll be fine. 

One of the arguments for licencing is that coaches can be given time without the fear of relegation. Without turning this into a P&R v licencing thread, that attitude is key to clubs going forward and changing. If not you're building your plan on lucking into a coach that can get something out of the set of players you have for a year or two (or just a new coach bounce to lift you away from relegation) rather than re-building the club for a sustainable period of time. Give Powell time and he'll turn this around don't just pull the trigger because its not a great season.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Williams is not going to boss a game because that is not in his skill set.  He is not an organiser or a talker.  He is capable of off the cuff quality... running, passing and short kicking and if you build that into your game plan then he will deliver.

Ricky Stuart tried to turn him into an organiser but he never got there despite showing some real quality in the NRL.

100%.  I never liked Williams as a Wigan fan because I felt he was too individualistic.  I liked what Stuart was turning him into.

5 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Getting rid of Chris Hill was the worst thing Warrington did. Terrible business and they won’t recover this season as a result !

I don't think you can pin Warrington's failings on letting a 34 year old prop go. I think things go a little deeper than that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ant said:

Watson had the same problem with some players being resistant to change.

I think the Watson situation is the perfect example. Awful first season, then a few players left (including their so called marquee half back) and suddenly they’re a well coached team in a cup final and in the mix for the GF playoffs. 

Hopefully a clean sheet squad can start the next pre-season and buy into Powell’s methods. We’ve got a ton of decent young players who will be glad to get a regular chance to shine.

We could certainly do with a couple of big south sea island style forwards though. Maybe Hull can point us in the right direction.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't think you can pin Warrington's failings on letting a 34 year old prop go. I think things go a little deeper than that.

They do, but Warrington go forward = Zero

Fair play to Hilly, wires loss is Hudds gain. Props are in their prime at 34 and he is head and shoulders above anything they currently have. 

In fact, a few Wire players need to give their heads a wobble. Very poor this season. 

44 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

I think the Watson situation is the perfect example. Awful first season, then a few players left (including their so called marquee half back) and suddenly they’re a well coached team in a cup final and in the mix for the GF playoffs. 

Hopefully a clean sheet squad can start the next pre-season and buy into Powell’s methods. We’ve got a ton of decent young players who will be glad to get a regular chance to shine.

We could certainly do with a couple of big south sea island style forwards though. Maybe Hull can point us in the right direction.

Thing is, Watson first season wasn't awful - not in comparison to previous seasons. It was mediocre, but also entirely expected by anyone not being paid to comment on the game. 

agree with this, we are being bullied by bigger and better packs (something most said at the beginning of the season). Mulhern is just not good enough, nor is Holmes IMHO and were poor signings. If a couple of good big forwards can be brought in, leaders as well, then we'll be fine. 

Don't even think about Chris Hill neither 😉

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

but the amount of tries we have where you see players afterwards looking at each other confused as to why its been conceded is a concern. 

Just wait until you get Dufty as your FB - At least then you'll know why the try has just been conceded 🤣

• Haha 3

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I disagree, competition points wise it was bad but Watto said last season wasn't about the league table for us, the work he was doing behind the scenes was absolutely fantastic, getting rid of workshy, uninterested, underperforming players was a masterstroke and on the field we are now reaping the rewards while those who obtained said players are not!!

• Like 2

Irrespective of Stats, Hill has the leadership qualities that the Wire team seriously lack at the moment. The 3 times I have seen him play for Huddersfield, he still breaks a line and takes some stopping. 

On paper, Wire have a good side but something is not quite right.