Matt Dufty to Wire

5 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Well I’m sorry but you’re saying you’ve not seen much of Dufty.  I watch a lot of NRL so I have and it’s not hyperbole to say he’s the worst of the 16 starting NRL fullbacks.  It’s a gash signing trust me.

I was debating your first few words, which stated we didn't need a fullback. I disagree.

I'm not debating the quality of Dufty, I've watched a few videos and some NRL experts seem to rate him, some think he has major issues. There have been several comparisons to the likes of Field - you may say we dont need a fullback, I'm saying a player like Field would absolutely add value to the team.

9 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Just heard on triple m that it’s a done deal. I’m lost for words. Like who actually thinks we need to blow a shed full of cash on an overseas fullback given our other recruitment needs?

I thought they was after a big mobile forward to add some size to their pack. Obviously I'm wrong

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I was debating your first few words, which stated we didn't need a fullback. I disagree.

I'm not debating the quality of Dufty, I've watched a few videos and some NRL experts seem to rate him, some think he has major issues. There have been several comparisons to the likes of Field - you may say we dont need a fullback, I'm saying a player like Field would absolutely add value to the team.

Totally disagree, full back is close to the bottom of our long list of “issues to be fixed”.  Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree sir - see you at the massacre on Thursday 😂

• Like 1

Fullback might not be priority number one for Wire but I'm not surprised they're looking at a new signing. These days the strongest teams tend to have the best fullbacks so if you want to compete you have to have real quality in that position. I like what I've seen of Thewlis but I don't think he's at the level where he'll be among the best in Super League. You also need players who can cover different positions. Perhaps Thewlis will be considered mainly as a winger next year with Charnley potentially leaving.

New signings will depend on who departs. Both Widdop and Ratchford are off contract at the end of the year so if both left then presumably Wire would be needing a new fullback and a new halfback along with the necessary signings to bolster the pack.

Dufty is one of those players who might be able to have more success in Super League. Players who can't make it in the NRL can end up being very useful Super League players. Josh Drinkwater being one just one example. I definitely wouldn't write it off as being a waste of money before he's taken to the field for them.

Also, if circumstances are right (i.e. Smith establishes himself as SL quality and Leuluai retires) I'd take Ratchford at Wigan in a heartbeat. Cover at half and fullback (which we'd need if French leaves) and some experience alongside 3 playmakers in their early to mid-20's would be useful.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I like these little caveats you are throwing in... 'if he is switched on' and 'if his head is screwed on'.

People forget how good he was for spells at the Dragons. However, attitude was flagged as one of the reasons he wasn't retained.

23 minutes ago, Scubby said:

People forget how good he was for spells at the Dragons. However, attitude was flagged as one of the reasons he wasn't retained.

I'm not convinced that Dufty was very good at the Dragons, the weaknesses in his game around positioning, defence and distribution were always there.

Anyway, attitude is an attribute just as much as pace or skill is.  As we have seen with players in the UK, if a player has a poor attitude then that is a characteristic that is difficult to coach out of him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Full back is one of the most important offensive components of most teams and certainly a Powell coach team.  Cas's best seasons under Powell were those with Dorn/Hardaker at full back and they were involved in most of the attacks.  Like Duffy, Dorn was a speed bump in defense.

Thewlis looks okay but whether he is good enough at full back, at this point in his career, when it's such a pivotal playmaking role in the team is debatable.  Offensively Duffy probably will be and Thewlis can replace Charnley on the wing.

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

How do you know ? All those things you go onto pick apart can’t be compared because Field barely got the opportunity. 

Agreed. If Jai Field who was essentially a NSW cup player before coming to SL can win man of steel then Dufty can be a fantastic SL player.

I personally think it’s a very good signing as a Dufty is one of those players who potentially ‘suites’ SL. You could argue he comes with far more pedigree and ability than French and Field.

9 hours ago, AB90 said:

I personally think it’s a very good signing as a Dufty is one of those players who potentially ‘suites’ SL

Strange comment !!!

The guy can't catch, can't tackle and consistently fails to put his body on the line, so are you claiming those skills aren't needed in SL and he'll somehow be a superstar because he has pace ?

Edited by Saint Toppy

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Strange comment !!!

The guy can't catch, can't tackle and consistently fails to put his body on the line, so are you claiming those skills aren't needed in SL and he'll somehow be a superstar because he has pace ?

Barring the catching ability, you could be describing Ben Barba, who lit up Super League. 

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I thought they was after a big mobile forward to add some size to their pack. Obviously I'm wrong

If you can`t buy big forwards, buy small backs. Makes your forwards look bigger.

• Haha 9

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Strange comment !!!

I think that’s EXACTLY what he’s claiming 😳 another strange signing from us, that’s all there is to it.  #Kisskamout

The last guy to come to Super League because he was cut from the Bulldogs because he wasn't good enough for the worst team in the NRL is Dylan Napa.

I predict that if Dufty comes he will be just as good as Napa.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe he ‘suites’ super league in the same way Tyrone Roberts, Sezer, Austin and Merrin do. Sat on a three-piece one doing eff all, with cushions filled with marquee cash.

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I'm sure he'll do at least OK and will be entertaining to watch.

I hope he ends up over here.

Well, yeah, as an opposition fan of course you’ll enjoy watching him.

As a Warrington fan, I enjoyed every minute of David Vaealiki’s rather expensive and deflating stint at Wigan. I assume that’s how you meant it? 😁

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

58 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Barring the catching ability, you could be describing Ben Barba, who lit up Super League. 

Ben Barba and Matt Dufty are polar opposites.  One was the Dally M player of the year in Australia and the other has had his performances constantly questioned. 

All Barba's problems were off the pitch.  All Dufty's problems are on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Strange comment !!!

I could be wrong however I feel you say this about a lot of imports who go on to do very well over here so I would be very hesitant to follow that opinion.

This is same guy that literally kept the current favourite for man of steel (Jai Field) out of a job when they played for the same team.

I assume if you dug up the ‘Wigan sign Jai Field’ post on this forum the comments would be very similar (if not worst) to this thread.

7 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I could be wrong however I feel you say this about a lot of imports who go on to do very well over here so I would be very hesitant to follow that opinion.

This is same guy that literally kept the current favourite for man of steel (Jai Field) out of a job when they played for the same team.

I assume if you dug up the ‘Wigan sign Jai Field’ post on this forum the comments would be very similar (if not worst) to this thread.

It doesn't work like that though. Times change and players progress or regress.

We have all seen NRL stars come to Super League and been absolute rubbish and a complete waste of money. We have seen average SL players go to the NRL and become stars. We have seen nobodies in the NRL do very well in Super League. Its a real mixed bag.

What is for sure though is attitude and commitment counts for a heck of a lot, talent is only part of the equation, and I'm not sure how much of this a guy who doesn't put his body on the line has.

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

There are plenty of NRL players who come over here who don't have the ability to quite make it in the NRL and they come here & give it their absolute all and make pretty decent SL career. Dufty has serious flaws in his game and when you couple that with his lack of effort & commitment then it makes for a pretty poor signing.

You'd think Wire would have learned by now to stop throwing money as guys from the NRL with serious problems

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

There are plenty of NRL players who come over here who don't have the ability to quite make it in the NRL and they come here & give it their absolute all and make pretty decent SL career. Dufty has serious flaws in his game and when you couple that with his lack of effort & commitment then it makes for a pretty poor signing.

You'd think Wire would have learned by now to stop throwing money as guys from the NRL with serious problems

That last line sounds nice, but doesn't really make sense. Who have Wire signed that has come over under a dark cloud? Possibly Chris Sandow?

Joel Monaghan did and was brilliant for us. Jackson Hastings and Ben Barba were brilliant for their clubs (and I would also add that Sandow was box office until he went nuts again!). 

Our signings from the NRL have been hit and miss, but not really as an outcome of players having serious problems.

Edited by Dave T

Wire's NRL signings over the last 5 years:

Billy Magoulias

Widdopp

Williams

Cooper

Inglis

Austin

Akuola

Latu

Clark (J)

Goodwin

Roberts

Brown 

That is hardly a problematic group of players, and is hardly us throwing crazy money at Aussies. It is very hit and miss in Rugby terms, that is the issue.