League One

But it's not just as east as "holding your nerve" for 10 years while you get beaten up as you develop younger local players.

I think that unless you can get a full squad in "one hit", any emerging gems are going to get cherry picked by the other league 1 sides and higher teams and you never quite get that critical mass you aspire to. My sense - no names to hand - is that this happened to WWR and all the previous incarnations of the side and a mix of better RL teams and the "call of union" soaked up any emerging talent.

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But as you said before they will just get pumped until noone watches. Unless they are going to shell out for an academy , which seems like an unwise investment when still in league 1, then you kind of half to pack your team with northerners with a few local players until your a decade down the line. 

League 1 sides are not permitted an Academy - or reserve sides.There is not any League 1 side that has them.

Rich get richer  poor get poorer.

Just concentrate on Super League clubs - they need all the money,crowds,help.

Not a level playing field.All things ain't equal.

• Like 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 minute ago, Angelic Cynic said:

League 1 sides are not permitted an Academy - or reserve sides.There is not any League 1 side that has them.

Rich get richer  poor get poorer.

Just concentrate on Super League clubs - they need all the money,crowds,help.

Not a level playing field.All things ain't equal.

London Skolars have junior sides. Granted, not an Academy as we know them elsewhere but they have a pathway. Whether that could be said of other clubs at that level can say that, regardless of their postcode, I’m not sure. 

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

London Skolars have junior sides. Granted, not an Academy as we know them elsewhere but they have a pathway. Whether that could be said of other clubs at that level can say that, regardless of their postcode, I’m not sure. 

And a reserve side usually 

On 16/05/2022 at 19:25, Jughead said:

A five team league and a twenty-odd team league with huge disparity, makes sense, does it?

If you read what I said I said “below the championship “

If we are talking semi professional teams not existing amateur teams I am not sure where your “twenty odd” northern teams comes from

I agree that 5 southern clubs would be a problem and said that as well

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Doncaster is the closest away trip for Midlands Hurricanes. Begs the question, which league would Doncaster and Hurricanes be in 

Exactly right. Any southern conference border line could be flexible 

it is in football with changes made using a bit of common sense to keep it balanced 

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

it is in football with changes made using a bit of common sense to keep it balanced 

I understand what you’re saying, but making say Swinton play against Brentwood Eels and Swindon St George just because they’re slightly south of all the other league one clubs along the M62 wouldn’t seem fair either. 

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Gloucester City, Hereford, Oxford City, Bishop’s Stortford, Lowestoft Town and Histon have all at one point or another played in the Conference North, common sense is not always prevalent in non-league football. 

34 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Gloucester City, Hereford, Oxford City, Bishop’s Stortford, Lowestoft Town and Histon have all at one point or another played in the Conference North, common sense is not always prevalent in non-league football. 

Must admit Lowestoft is pushing it a bit

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

They’ve said all along that they want to use a significant number of Cornish players, not just pay for Northern and Aussie players to play for them, which is an admirable stance but is obviously going to take longer than buying better players in. Hopefully as that is the case the local crowds will stick with them. 

That has to be the way to go though for any new side who want to grow sustainably and develop the game locally.

It's just a pity we don't have more development clubs to make it easier for clubs like Cornwall, West Wales and London Skolars to grow and develop local players.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Must admit Lowestoft is pushing it a bit

It's further north than Gloucester (just), I believe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)