Jump to content

League One


Recommended Posts

I suppose League 1 is useful for clubs that get relegated from the Championship to rebuild and still be part of the professional structure. It also gives clubs such as WWR, Skolars, Midlands and Cornwall the chance to actually exist as a professional club and maybe build and progress over time. Some clubs will stay and some clubs will fall away and one or two might even climb the league and progress into the championship like Newcastle. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Not sure what I can add to my first sentence to make it clearer to you from my perspective, the people involved want them ans to me that is enough. 

So it’s fine to have a team getting whacked 100-0 every single week if the people involved in that club want it to happen? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it was to be split into Northern and Southern/Welsh divisions, is there anything that says all teams have to be professional?

The only way I see there being a worthwhile number of teams is if the top amateur sides compete with the semi-pro teams.

Even if the 2 x 10 idea at the top of the tree goes through, there still won't be enough Southern/Welsh clubs to make a meaningful competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rugby League has, through its history, had a recurring habit of going for the guillotine option whenever it finds it has some clubs that don't *quite* fit for reasons of not being strong enough, being too far away (etc).

I don't think there is an easy or obvious solution to the imbalance in League One but I'd take an unbalanced league that keeps clubs alive over a 'solution' that effectively ends their existence.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

If it was to be split into Northern and Southern/Welsh divisions, is there anything that says all teams have to be professional?

The only way I see there being a worthwhile number of teams is if the top amateur sides compete with the semi-pro teams.

Even if the 2 x 10 idea at the top of the tree goes through, there still won't be enough Southern/Welsh clubs to make a meaningful competition.

A split like that would mean Northern teams just have to travel a few miles along the M62 to play their games whereas Southern / Welsh teams would have absurd trips for amateur away games such as Devon to Wymondham or North Wales to Essex. Not that I have a solution to this issue myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

So it’s fine to have a team getting whacked 100-0 every single week if the people involved in that club want it to happen? 

Newcastle got thumped week in week out when they first joined the league 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Newcastle got thumped week in week out when they first joined the league 

Not so long ago that York were in a similar position as well ,never saw any calls for them to be chucked out of the league ....

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Dont see how adding teams from NCL would help if aim is to get players from that area playing.

What is League 1 for? If it is a place to get new clubs playing local players than realistically you need a southern and northern conference because we´ve seen you either get pumped playing locals (a great way to kill any interest from players or supporters) or you flood your team with northerners and unless there´s a long term plan for academies in those places noone is coming through. 

No french team would blow their money on League 1 unless they were aiming for SL in a few years as costs are crazy, the need for french teams to have to play in England to reach SL is why I think we dont see more come through. 

Post re-organisation, I think we are going to see a northern and southern conference regardless but that´s probably how I would do it now so that teams like Gloucester maybe come back in the knowledge they won´t get battered every game. 

 

Below the Championship a Northern and Southern conference makes the most sense

Minimise travel costs and allow new clubs time to develop and strengthen before travelling north to play the more established northern clubs. 

play league season against teams in your conference with top 2 in each playing off to determine promotion.  Depending on who goes up and comes down may occasionally need for a team on the border to switch conferences but they do that in non league football without problems 

Would obviously need a few more clubs to provide enough games but if achieved would provide a structure similar to that of football at the top of the non league game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Below the Championship a Northern and Southern conference makes the most sense

Minimise travel costs and allow new clubs time to develop and strengthen before travelling north to play the more established northern clubs. 

play league season against teams in your conference with top 2 in each playing off to determine promotion.  Depending on who goes up and comes down may occasionally need for a team on the border to switch conferences but they do that in non league football without problems 

Would obviously need a few more clubs to provide enough games but if achieved would provide a structure similar to that of football at the top of the non league game

A five team league and a twenty-odd team league with huge disparity, makes sense, does it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

So it’s fine to have a team getting whacked 100-0 every single week if the people involved in that club want it to happen? 

Where have I said that they "want" to get hammered every week? I have said that they want to exist and those of us who have a broad experience of the lower league teams ,and those that have come to it and only have seen their club say Cornwall play 7 games in their short existence want them exist. Only a fool would deny that the learning curve is very step and may in the first season involve not winning a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Below the Championship a Northern and Southern conference makes the most sense

It's 210 miles from London to Llanelli.

Doncaster is closer.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rach said:

Not so long ago that York were in a similar position as well ,never saw any calls for them to be chucked out of the league ....

I’m not calling for anyone to be chucked out of the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Below the Championship a Northern and Southern conference makes the most sense

Minimise travel costs and allow new clubs time to develop and strengthen before travelling north to play the more established northern clubs. 

play league season against teams in your conference with top 2 in each playing off to determine promotion.  Depending on who goes up and comes down may occasionally need for a team on the border to switch conferences but they do that in non league football without problems 

Would obviously need a few more clubs to provide enough games but if achieved would provide a structure similar to that of football at the top of the non league game

It wouldn’t minimise travel costs for the southern clubs if they had to go from say Norfolk to Devon or Pembrokeshire instead of West Yorkshire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Contributers to this forum often put forward the idea of bringing in some new clubs. Funny thing is there doesn't seem to be a queue of actual clubs throwing in their hats.

Perhaps that's because there is or was when Coventry joined a huge bond to accompany their application. Add that there is hardly any central contribution to defray costs and a load of hoops to jump through to meet minimum standards.

 

  • Like 3

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We in Cornwall were never under any illusion that our first season would be challenging, and especially the first half of it. Please bear with the players and coaches because they *will* make giant strides over the next two months.

To address the apparent issue with heartland players drafted in to broaden the squad, a few points. First, the stated aim of the club is to bring through as many local players as possible over the coming years, but that also requires the expertise of established League players to guide them in the learning process. Second, we are currently experiencing a bit of an injury problem (and that was before the West Wales game which saw one of our lads badly dislocate his elbow).

So far we're averaging gates over 1000, and that will hopefully increase further over the summer. There's a lot to be optimistic about with Cornwall RLFC both on and off the pitch.

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's 210 miles from London to Llanelli.

Doncaster is closer.

Doncaster is the closest away trip for Midlands Hurricanes. Begs the question, which league would Doncaster and Hurricanes be in 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It feels a shame that Cornwall are getting such good attendances at this level and yet are total whipping boys.  Perez seems to have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of investing in the actual squad.  If there isn't more investment soon in said squad then I fear it will just become another appeared and then disappeared story in the attempts to expand and ultimately survive as a sport that has credibility as a professional sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hello said:

It feels a shame that Cornwall are getting such good attendances at this level and yet are total whipping boys.  Perez seems to have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of investing in the actual squad.  If there isn't more investment soon in said squad then I fear it will just become another appeared and then disappeared story in the attempts to expand and ultimately survive as a sport that has credibility as a professional sport.

There's lots of good things about Cornwall but they were very naive with their recruitment. A focus on local players was admirable but lots of people said it wouldn't work and so far it hasn't. This season expectedly has been a struggle but they'll no doubt learn from it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Hello said:

It feels a shame that Cornwall are getting such good attendances at this level and yet are total whipping boys.  Perez seems to have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of investing in the actual squad.  If there isn't more investment soon in said squad then I fear it will just become another appeared and then disappeared story in the attempts to expand and ultimately survive as a sport that has credibility as a professional sport.

Depends if they actually have money to put in, if so, they know a crowd is there so we will find out next season if they are serious about being a challenger. If not, my worry is that they continue to get pumped until the crowds sink to levels that make it not worth it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...