Hows ticket sales going for CCF

6 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm not blaming anyone or anything, merely suggesting if people who moan about how bad things are actually tried to help, the sport would be in a far better position to attract new fans, new investors, better coverage, better marketing and so on.

It's the same with Huddersfield, there's a fans group on Facebook with around 2500 members but yet majority of them are negative and just slaughter the club for everything and stamp their feet when things don't go well, rather than actually try and help and support the team and the club, they close ranks against them.

That's kind of my point, the example of yourself and your dad is a good example, the same people who should be replacing you are the ones sat on Facebook and forums like this criticising everything and offering no solution.

Were you still planning to go if Huddersfield lost the semi final? The whole challenge is much wider and bigger than a few moaners.

11 minutes ago, meast said:

It could also be that people just can't afford or justify paying out nigh on £200, as much as I would love to attend a packed out final, we have to be realistic, it's not cheap and the cost of living has gone through the roof.

Spot on, poverty doesn't hit any particular sport, I bet Huddersfield Town fans are equally afflicted. How many of their fans going ? 10,000 tops, Wembley probably be half empty........I think 😜

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Anecdotal information I've gathered so far is plenty of soccer fans also at least considering going to both games - a few I know have said they've got tickets for both now

Some because they support the towns sporting events, some because it's a shiny new stadium.

As Meast said though, if the seat counters spent as much effort going to games as counting seats, it wouldn't be a problem.

Also - seat prices ramp up damn quickly if you want to sit along the sides, very quickly makes it unaffordable imo. 

Giants too decent numbers in 2009 I seem to remember.

Great to hear that some Huddersfielders (is that a word?) are thinking of doubling up. The media love angles like that, so let's make the most of it. 

On your 'seat counters' point though I'm afraid there's no basis to that assertion - league doesn't have that many fans to begin with and the percentage of those who bang on about crowds is confined to saddos like us on here and similar sites. Not  enough to remotely move the dial, even if berating people to attend was a good tactic (which of course it isn't). 

The game has some serious structural problems - thus the IMG deal which hopefully will come up with some radical solutions. 

29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'll go with that. Hope it isn't 40K, that would be an embarrassment.

Anyway, I have my ticket in the South Stand bang behind the sticks and looking forward to it v much.  

Unfortunately I have a clash - Simon Moran has put a huge music festival on in Warrington on the same weekend. I do hope it goes well and we get an England game at the stadium soon.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, I like your last para - ultimately we can do it however we want, we control this. we can be bold if we want to be.

Yes my idea might be unworkable but we are actually in control of what we want this to be. I hope this is why IMG are inside the game now and are given their heads. Can you imagine the Premier League darts concept being pitched to the BDO 20 years ago? Clubs are too self driven to be asked to visualise and plan the future - that is what leadership is for!

• Like 1

The VAST majority of fans don't visit sites like this though, so I just find the whole process fundamentally pointless and sad.

What it does do though is spill onto media pundits and social media and there it does do damage.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Were you still planning to go if Huddersfield lost the semi final? The whole challenge is much wider and bigger than a few moaners.

Actually, yes, finances allowing as I might not get chance to see a challenge cup final at Tottenham again.

However, I wouldn't be sat slagging off the attendance if I didn't go, which is my issue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

The VAST majority of fans don't visit sites like this though, so I just find the whole process fundamentally pointless and sad.

What it does do though is spill onto media pundits and social media and there it does do damage.

Good communication teams can rise above this and create the narrative though. The old county fans in cricket are spitting chips over the hundred yet the grounds will be full of smiling faces, event goers and families in July. It can be done and the moaners then do fall into line - begrudgingly. 

Edited by Scubby

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Spot on, poverty doesn't hit any particular sport, I bet Huddersfield Town fans are equally afflicted. How many of their fans going ? 10,000 tops, Wembley probably be half empty........I think 😜

Exactly

I am 100% certain Wembley will be half full but I also am certain there won't be pages of soccer forums counting empty seats.

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Huddersfield Town and football have a much larger fanbase, so if this was a veiled dig it's way off, thousands of people will jump on a football bandwagon and go to these events, RL is a much smaller pool.

Just now, Scubby said:

Good communication teams can rise above this and create the narrative though. The old county fans in cricket are spitting chips over the hundred yet the grounds will be full on smiling faces, event goers and families in July. It can be done and the moaners then do fall into line - begrudgingly. 

True, I still remember all the complaints about summer rugby...

The Giants social media team are doing great work currently 

• Like 3

Just now, Ant said:

True, I still remember all the complaints about summer rugby...

The Giants social media team are doing great work currently 

Huddersfield are doing a great job at the moment on and off the field. This is a CC final attendance thread - a Giants thread would be fulsome of praise by me. They build strong squads based on bringing their own players through. I hope they get some silverware this time - would be so pleased for their fans!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm not blaming anyone or anything, merely suggesting if people who moan about how bad things are actually tried to help, the sport would be in a far better position to attract new fans, new investors, better coverage, better marketing and so on.

It's the same with Huddersfield, there's a fans group on Facebook with around 2500 members but yet majority of them are negative and just slaughter the club for everything and stamp their feet when things don't go well, rather than actually try and help and support the team and the club, they close ranks against them.

That's kind of my point, the example of yourself and your dad is a good example, the same people who should be replacing you are the ones sat on Facebook and forums like this criticising everything and offering no solution.

I know it's tempting, especially when you're so committed yourself, but it's just not the fans' job to fix the sport.

Even if those Facebookers never attend a game, never watch one on TV, nor ever read an article about rugby league, just being on a rugby league Facebook site indirectly increases the commercial value of the sport. 

Our failing - and our opportunity - is the 10s of millions of people in the UK for whom rugby league doesn't even enter their consciousness. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The old county fans in cricket are spitting chips over the hundred yet the grounds will be full of smiling faces, event goers and families in July. It can be done and the moaners then do fall into line - begrudgingly. 

The moaners are still rightly pointing out that it cost all of the ECB's reserves to subsidise a tournament that even then couldn't deliver full grounds and failed to generate a penny profit, let alone the millions it was meant to do.

Nobody has fallen into line and, I note with a smile, the ECB CEO has finally announced he's running away in failure.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Our failing - and our opportunity - is the 10s of millions of people in the UK for whom rugby league doesn't even enter their consciousness. 

And I think the issue there is manifold, complex and will take a long time and commitment to change 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The moaners are still rightly pointing out that it cost all of the ECB's reserves to subsidise a tournament that even then couldn't deliver full grounds and failed to generate a penny profit, let alone the millions it was meant to do.

Nobody has fallen into line and, I note with a smile, the ECB CEO has finally announced he's running away in failure.

Sorry, am using this as an example of the ultimate fight in communications. The Hundred will fail miserably and cost hundreds of millions in doing so - but even I was shocked at the ###### they polished last year and will no doubt this!

RL can't even win the basic of communications efforts  - like the mid season international

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, meast said:

Speak up man, can't hear you from right down there 😛 

I am actually going to Tottenham and will be supporting the Giants, hoping for a grand weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

Even if a tiny minority of Internet dwellers were driving the sport's media narrative - which I'm doubtful of - it wouldn't have any traction if it wasn't rooted in some facts or there was a compelling counter narrative. 

Don't shoot the messenger!

16 minutes ago, Ant said:

Exactly

I am 100% certain Wembley will be half full but I also am certain there won't be pages of soccer forums counting empty seats.

You think Forest / Sheff Utd v Huddersfield Town in the play off final will only attract 45k people? That’s hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Even if a tiny minority of Internet dwellers were driving the sport's media narrative - which I'm doubtful of - it wouldn't have any traction if it wasn't rooted in some facts or there was a compelling counter narrative. 

Don't shoot the messenger!

Believe it or not, this is one of the more positive areas of the sport's footprint 😄 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ant said:

Exactly

I used to be of this opinion about football, and then my team Man City became good and now Man Utd fans have to talk about empty seats at the Etihad (or Emptyhad).

We (RL fans) aren't that unique.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dave T said:

I used to be of this opinion about football, and then my team Man City became good and now Man Utd fans have to talk about empty seats at the Etihad (or Emptyhad).

We (RL fans) aren't that unique.

"**** ground, no fans" is one of my favourite and most direct football chants. And it's been around for longer than I have.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)