Hows ticket sales going for CCF

4 hours ago, IM2 said:

so im now hearing 55k sold by monday. not bad

Twice that's been said on here but a source would be good because it would be an excellent return.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Twice that's been said on here but a source would be good because it would be an excellent return.

It would.

I'm sceptical though. Some sections show the trade mark every other row available and the clubs have not sold all their allocations. Also tickets will be available for sale on the day of the game from the Tottenham Hotspur ticket office. 

If every ticket has been put on sale I could just about go with 55,000 but blocks keep opening up with every other row on sale and that gives me the impression that figure is unlikely. I also think they’d be shouting that from the rooftops. 

Would love for it to be true mind. 

Edited by WN83

8 hours ago, meast said:

It was easier to sell the challenge cup final to the neutral fans 25+ years ago.

But times have changed, back then it was THE major event in the RL calendar, followed by test matches then the other cups, but generally the cup final was a day out or a weekend in London that not many people from working class Northern mill and pit towns got usually, fans and players of clubs all over the country, professional and amateur, gathered at Wembley for the sports' big day, it was an easy sell.

Now, there is the SL final, the championship final, magic weekend, challenge cup final, trips to the South of France, not mention the world cup too, there's also lots of other things for people to spend leisure time and money on.

It's not quite as easy attracting neutrals to go to London anymore.

My view on neutrals is that we probably still hover around the 30k mark. If we do get the 55k for this weekend, that would feel about right again. It felt about right when I was last at Wembley for the Wire v Saints game. 

I do think the biggest fluctuation is around the finalists. I think it is rare now for us to just take 20 to 25k standard. It may happen if a club gets there as a rarity, but as I always say, Wire took about 25k for that first game v Hudds in 2009, and 10 years later I'd say we took half that - that accounted for the drop, not imho the neutrals. 

Of course there will be drops in neutrals too, but I think the is a tendency to always blame the RFL when they could once again deliver 30k here. If clubs took 20k each, plus Leigh and Fev took 5 each then that would lead to 80k. 

I'm not sure neutrals should be a realistic answer to fix low demand. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My view on neutrals is that we probably still hover around the 30k mark. If we do get the 55k for this weekend, that would feel about right again. It felt about right when I was last at Wembley for the Wire v Saints game. 

I do think the biggest fluctuation is around the finalists. I think it is rare now for us to just take 20 to 25k standard. It may happen if a club gets there as a rarity, but as I always say, Wire took about 25k for that first game v Hudds in 2009, and 10 years later I'd say we took half that - that accounted for the drop, not imho the neutrals. 

Of course there will be drops in neutrals too, but I think the is a tendency to always blame the RFL when they could once again deliver 30k here. If clubs took 20k each, plus Leigh and Fev took 5 each then that would lead to 80k. 

True for us too, although we've had little in the way of any success except 1 LLS and 1 SF since, we ourselves took 20,000 in 2009, we couldn't give 20,000 tickets away this time!!

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

I am hopeful it may scrape 50k but looking at the Giants ticket page (still sections available every other row) and the RFL ticket page (still sections available every other row). I think the 45-49K mark is what we will see. When you stop selling every other row you get overlaps - I can't see any signs of that.

It will still look okay as it is an accommodating modern stadium but those tickets are lost revenue for the game's bottom line.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I am hopeful it may scrape 50k but looking at the Giants ticket page (still sections available every other row) and the RFL ticket page (still sections available every other row). I think the 45-49K mark is what we will see. When you stop selling every other row you get overlaps - I can't see any signs of that.

It will still look okay as it is an accommodating modern stadium but those tickets are lost revenue for the game's bottom line.

As is always the case with the RFL ticketing approach, it is almost impossible to work out what the strategy is and how the he'll they are selling them! 

Some sections that are tucked away at the top are all on sale, whereas I would expect these to be held back if sales were so poor, so that *may* be a positive, but who knows as it all looks random once again. 

My optimistic hope around the 'every other row' approach is that this is sinply that the whole section is open, but being sold via different partners I. E. Hudds selling every other row and the RFL selling the others direct. 

But as mentioned earlier, we do have enough experience to know that this approach is not generally a good sign for ticket sales. 

Just now, Dave T said:

As is always the case with the RFL ticketing approach, it is almost impossible to work out what the strategy is and how the he'll they are selling them! 

Some sections that are tucked away at the top are all on sale, whereas I would expect these to be held back if sales were so poor, so that *may* be a positive, but who knows as it all looks random once again. 

My optimistic hope around the 'every other row' approach is that this is sinply that the whole section is open, but being sold via different partners I. E. Hudds selling every other row and the RFL selling the others direct. 

But as mentioned earlier, we do have enough experience to know that this approach is not generally a good sign for ticket sales. 

If you go on the Giants ticket page the Huddersfield sections are different from the sections on sale on the RFL website I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

All our sections are now on sale fully, up to last week it was every other row.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Once upon a time when pubs and clubs were a thriving concern and we had "tap rooms" a plenty, many of these places would have a "picnic or Wembley club" where people useually men folk would save all year to go to the CC Final, it would useually finance the travel, hotel, match ticket and provide some spending money as well, I can only speak for Leigh of course who had many such establishments and these Wembley savings clubs were well subscribed to even by those not really interested in RL it was the occasion and the trip that was more of interest to many, but these days we don't have many pubs like this any more and subsequently not has many going to the final, Leigh is a typical town not unlike many others in that respect, so I will stick my neck out and say that the decline in pubs/clubs and tap rooms in particular is a big reason not as many neutrals attend the CC finals.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jughead said:

55k wouldn’t be completely disappointing. 

55k would be categorised under 'passable' imho. 

This isn't another criticism of Hudds, but they have low crowds plus the Huddersfield Town clash is unfortunate, they are more likely to be sweeping up the casual fans in the town. 

For me the breakdown we can expect for Wembley each year is probably:

15k each finalist - max 20k (30k to 40k)

30k neutrals (30k)

5k to 10k 1895 finalists (5k to 10k).

This should mean low end 65k, which is broadly what we got at the last full Wembley final. The lower crowd that day was probably due to Wire's frequency lowering theirs below 15k.

This year it looks like Hudds will take far far fewer than 15k, meaning we may be 55k.

If we get below the 55k then it looks like we haven't achieved the 30k neutrals. 

IMHO the big variance here is finalists support - I do think people are barking up the wrong tree overly focusing on neutrals. 

Edited by Dave T

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Once upon a time when pubs and clubs were a thriving concern and we had "tap rooms" a plenty, many of these places would have a "picnic or Wembley club" where people useually men folk would save all year to go to the CC Final, it would useually finance the travel, hotel, match ticket and provide some spending money as well, I can only speak for Leigh of course who had many such establishments and these Wembley savings clubs were well subscribed to even by those not really interested in RL it was the occasion and the trip that was more of interest to many, but these days we don't have many pubs like this any more and subsequently not has many going to the final, Leigh is a typical town not unlike many others in that respect, so I will stick my neck out and say that the decline in pubs/clubs and tap rooms in particular is a big reason not as many neutrals attend the CC finals.

Aye, things change. We need to adapt to these changes. 

One thing people should remember is that we have had some great crowds in the last decade. 

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you go on the Giants ticket page the Huddersfield sections are different from the sections on sale on the RFL website I think.

Yeah, that felt like a little too much effort 🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yet you jump on me for generalisations you lazy git? I'm trying to get some work done here btw!

Well, it is Wednesday, about time you started for the week... 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

IMHO the big variance here is finalists support - I do think people are barking up the wrong tree overly focusing on neutrals. 

I think there most definitely should be a focus on neutrals, though more aimed at the event crowd rather than blokes who support Batley or fans of Super League clubs who aren’t there. 

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

55k would be categorised under 'passable' imho. 

This isn't another criticism of Hudds, but they have low crowds plus the Huddersfield Town clash is unfortunate, they are more likely to be sweeping up the casual fans in the town. 

For me the breakdown we can expect for Wembley each year is probably:

15k each finalist - max 20k (30k to 40k)

30k neutrals (30k)

5k to 10k 1895 finalists (5k to 10k).

This should mean low end 65k, which is broadly what we got at the last full Wembley final. The lower crowd that day was probably due to Wire's frequency lowering theirs below 15k.

This year it looks like Hudds will take far far fewer than 15k, meaning we may be 55k.

If we get below the 55k then it looks like we haven't achieved the 30k neutrals. 

As much as i would love to see half a stadium filled with Claret and Gold i am realistic enough to know that will never likely happen, it would be great if we get more, i would like to see a minimum 7-8000 giants fan but the truth is it won't happen simply due to the cost involved, the fact most casual sports fans will now go to Wembley and the main issue that we just don't have the supporter base or interest as most other clubs do.

We have around 3,500 match going fans so getting double that is a big ask, even Wigan are struggling to sell anywhere near double their support too and they are a massive club.

Those Giants fans that are there will, as we always are, be colourful, noisy and hopefully watching history being made!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

It will look ok because the fans that are there, especially from the competing clubs will be colourful and noisy.

It will only look bad to people who are obsessed with empty seats.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, meast said:

It will look ok because the fans that are there, especially from the competing clubs will be colourful and noisy.

It will only look bad to people who are obsessed with empty seats.

I get where you are coming from but 10-12k unsold seats is probably upwards of £500,000 lost to the game

Saying that I am thoroughly looking forward to it. Four finalists are there to play and both games are toss up for the winners which always makes it compelling.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And also the demographics and social landscape of towns like Leigh, and indeed Huddersfield have changed.

No longer are they working class mill and pit towns but mainly commuter towns, the sense of community has long gone, years gone by, local communities would be made up of the people who would frequent working men's clubs and tap rooms, communities would come together for the town's sporting teams and those communities would all go for a day or weekend in London once a year.

As I've said before, most people who now live in Huddersfield have no or very little connection to the town or its sporting teams, although as to be expected, some do jump oiithe bandwagon now and again, especially with the football.

Those glory days are long gone I'm afraid.

• Like 1