Hows ticket sales going for CCF

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

Things that could be improved trains on the way back, not sure with Tottenham games if they get less on the overground as more live locally but could some extra services be put in? It wasn't the end of the world though.

I had done a bit of research beforehand and, having done the St Pancras-Seven Sisters-White Hart Lane before the game (about 9.30am but dozens of Leigh and Fev fans making the same journey, gambled on Northumberland Park-Tottenham Hale-St Pancras after the Wigan game and it worked an absolute treat. Was in the Euston Flyer for 17:45 when I expect many will have still been queuing at White Hart Lane and/or Seven Sisters. 

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I thought it all looked great and came across fantastic. I do think 51k seemed right. Tottenham just looks made for London internationals and it's such a pity the Ashes series was cancelled.

What was again noticeable was the empty corporate level. It's a quite obvious symptom of the games failings. The sport just fails to engage with this crucial market, costing it an awful lot of money in terms of revenue and sponsorship.

Are the corporate levels under contracts like Wembley was/is?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Not emails. I have actually completed two website enquiry forms, one for Eng v NZ 2018 and one for Ashes at Tottenham in 2020. I was looking at a box of 8-10 for that game.  Got no reply from either. 

It's not my job to follow up. Seeing a whole side of boxes empty for the cup final shows thjngs haven't improved.

Maybe they saw you had a Widnes postcode? 

Thought it was a terrific game, event and stadium, probably a better experience than Wembley. Took two football-loving friends along, one from London, one from Cambridge for their first RL game. They both enjoyed it - "it was better than the Champions League final" - and want to go to another game, possibly World Cup semi at Arsenal.

One of them commented: "I wouldn't have known this was even on if it wasn't for you."

Work to be done.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 18:17, David Shepherd said:

Atmosphere was great in the stadium.

Announced as 51k I think.

I even saw a Lesser Spotted Sheffield Eagle

There cant have been many of us there!.. i was in my shirt and my lad in his grey one from last year.. Managed to bump into a few old friends from my playing days in London too which was nice!

• Like 1

Got to say I had a brilliant day.. 

set my alarm for the evening rather than the morning.. but got woken up by my son in time for a shower, coffee and quick drive to the station.. 

Nice relaxed train journey down, got to the stadium for about 11.15 so got a dirty bacon burger from a burger van which was lovely. Train to St P, tube to Seven Sisters, overland to White Hart Lane, couldnt have been any easier. 

In the ground from 11.30 and up to Level 5 with a brilliant view and my son (a tottenham fan for some reason) was very impressed. Good first game and had a bit of an amble around inbetween the matches, meeting up with a couple of friends I havent seen since leaving London. Pints and food were priced ok, we had southern fried chicken strips and chips for about 7.50 and it was a good portion so cant complain, and a pint of Neck Oil for £6.50 is impressive when you think its in London and in a Stadium. Thought it was very reasonable. 

Still dont understand a DJ doing the "entertainment"... put something on the middle of the pitch, the teams can still warm up either side but have something that people can watch.. But a DJ may?? may as well just stick an alexa playlist on the PA system. 

Good CCF as a game and the atmosphere was amazing, bumped into more old mates from my South London Storm days at half time. Then headed off via the Tottenham Shop after the game. Didnt want to queue at White Hart Lane so walked down to Severn Sisters, took about 30 minutes then straight on the first tube and popped up at St P and into Yo! for tea at 5.30!

Got the train back to Sheffield at 7.30 and bumped into John Kear who was getting on the same train, so thanked him for the best day I have ever had at Wembley in 1998 and he, with a massive grin, said "that were a brilliant day, absolutely brilliant, wasnt it!".. was great as we both tried to work out what the hell was going on and where the train was as it was being messed about by the trains to Nottingham and overspills for the Mansfield fans. But no main issues and back home on time!

The lad had a fantastic day, really enjoyed his trip to london, loved the ground, enjoyed the match. His view of Tottenham v Wembley (we were at the 2019 final at Wembley.. a Wire and Eagles win!!) was "Why have it at Wembley when you wont fill it"... had to admit he had a point.. the Spurs ground really felt like an event ground too!

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, RP London said:

Got to say I had a brilliant day.. 

set my alarm for the evening rather than the morning.. but got woken up by my son in time for a shower, coffee and quick drive to the station.. 

Nice relaxed train journey down, got to the stadium for about 11.15 so got a dirty bacon burger from a burger van which was lovely. Train to St P, tube to Seven Sisters, overland to White Hart Lane, couldnt have been any easier. 

In the ground from 11.30 and up to Level 5 with a brilliant view and my son (a tottenham fan for some reason) was very impressed. Good first game and had a bit of an amble around inbetween the matches, meeting up with a couple of friends I havent seen since leaving London. Pints and food were priced ok, we had southern fried chicken strips and chips for about 7.50 and it was a good portion so cant complain, and a pint of Neck Oil for £6.50 is impressive when you think its in London and in a Stadium. Thought it was very reasonable. 

Still dont understand a DJ doing the "entertainment"... put something on the middle of the pitch, the teams can still warm up either side but have something that people can watch.. But a DJ may?? may as well just stick an alexa playlist on the PA system. 

Good CCF as a game and the atmosphere was amazing, bumped into more old mates from my South London Storm days at half time. Then headed off via the Tottenham Shop after the game. Didnt want to queue at White Hart Lane so walked down to Severn Sisters, took about 30 minutes then straight on the first tube and popped up at St P and into Yo! for tea at 5.30!

Got the train back to Sheffield at 7.30 and bumped into John Kear who was getting on the same train, so thanked him for the best day I have ever had at Wembley in 1998 and he, with a massive grin, said "that were a brilliant day, absolutely brilliant, wasnt it!".. was great as we both tried to work out what the hell was going on and where the train was as it was being messed about by the trains to Nottingham and overspills for the Mansfield fans. But no main issues and back home on time!

The lad had a fantastic day, really enjoyed his trip to london, loved the ground, enjoyed the match. His view of Tottenham v Wembley (we were at the 2019 final at Wembley.. a Wire and Eagles win!!) was "Why have it at Wembley when you wont fill it"... had to admit he had a point.. the Spurs ground really felt like an event ground too!

My main takeaway from that is blooming’ ‘eck, how much food did you have?! We had breakfast in O’Neills near St Pancras at half 8 and didn’t eat again until a Burger King on the train back at half 7 😂 The food in the ground did look amazing tbf. And those Spurs fans mustn’t be a thirsty bunch as I doubt they’ve ever seen anything like the ‘biggest bar in Europe’ in the South Stand behind reduced to selling cans 10 minutes before the second game even kicked off!

• Like 1

Our group stayed over Friday until this afternoon at kings cross, we visited Covent Garden Friday and we were told they were expecting more football fans there than rugby league fans, Saturday a few of us got the train from kings cross or got an Uber at £30 for 6 people, we ended up in the Bricklayers arms before the game which at the start had 3 bar staff ended up with 6 but they had an outside bar which supposedly opened at 12 but they didn’t bother with it 

The ground was a wonderful experience comfy seats easy to get drinks food and toilet- could move round to meet people from our club and stuff - after we went in the number 8 pub which was better than the bricklayers arms with the crowd etc 

took the 20 minute walk to seven sisters and was back in kings cross within 20 minutes for a quick change before finding a nice place for some food and drinks 

would of been nice to know the date for next years final so we can book it off work and start looking for hotels and tickets 

Edited by Keep The Faith
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Agree on the Stadium it is magnificent but i prefer Wembley for the outside atmosphere, Wembley Way ,flag and scarf sellers  programme sellers plus the food and drink stalls. Nothing like that at Tottenham but i would definitely go to Tottenham again ,great views.

I’ve got to say, I really enjoyed Saturday but it wasn’t quite Wembley and the history and tradition around it. 

19 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

My main takeaway from that is blooming’ ‘eck, how much food did you have?! We had breakfast in O’Neills near St Pancras at half 8 and didn’t eat again until a Burger King on the train back at half 7 😂 The food in the ground did look amazing tbf. And those Spurs fans mustn’t be a thirsty bunch as I doubt they’ve ever seen anything like the ‘biggest bar in Europe’ in the South Stand behind reduced to selling cans 10 minutes before the second game even kicked off!

To be fair I had the hangover munchies as me and the wife had a bit too much wine on friday night while i did a BBQ... My son is a growing, and already not small, 14 year old so he also had a packet of wine gums and if i had bought him anything else I think he would have eaten it! (I'm also a greedy sod so add that in 😂). 

There was still some beer left in our bit but its not the first time i;ve been to a stadium and the beer has run out with the Rugby on... i know you cant take beer to the seats at football so they wont drink so much during the match but i'm always shocked when they run it.. 

Edited by RP London

What some of these stories tell us is that the Challenge Cup can be an amazing experience in its own right but it "has" to be different and unique.

What gets lapsed neutrals back is often sons/daughters/nieces/nephews/grandkids. What gets neutrals/families in the area to go is the event, value for money, lots of stuff going on, and a feeling of "must see". The sport is the focal point but not everything - that is the reality of 2022.

What gets those people excited is a mixture of history and engaging event. Live music works - it has forever. Kids and teens like stuff that goes on around the stadium. Fans like to mull around and chat and enjoy the day at their own pace.

The idea we can't attract more neutrals is defeatist and wrong IMO. I looked at those huge empty sections behind the goals on Sat and thought - just show those picture to enough people in the events business and say "how do we pack those out"? Listen and you will probably get the answer of where to start.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 4

Despite the result which i will use the match thread to put my view point over i had a cracking day, There's nothing better in sport than Challenge Cup final day with all the different colours/shirts etc.

Over the last couple of years my mother has decided that after 30+ years of her boys going to rugby she'd going to 'get into it', she bought her 1st Giants season card at 60-odd year old and has also now been to the CC semi and final and she couldn't believe how fans of other clubs were wishing us all the best and shaking our hands and chatting to us, she used the phrase 'aw bless' when a group of HKR fans took time out in Kings Cross to wish us all the best etc, i explained to her that's what happens in RL all the time.

Our journey couldn't have been better, got my missus to drive us to Leeds for the 7.00 train, stopped at Wakefield then straight into Kings cross for just after 9, train had Giants, Wigan, Leeds, Hull, Hull KR, Fev, Cas, Wakefield, Sheffield, York and Bradford fans on it that i saw.

Over to Premier Inn for an all you can eat brekky - £10.50, put us on for the day did that so much so none of us ate anything else then till we were on the train home, tube to Seven Sisters, bus up to the Gilpins Bell pub for some pre match throat oiling, took us probably 40 minutes max to get from Kings cross so not a problem at all with travelling.

Got in the stadium and - WOW, what a place, i was expecting it to feel like a modern, purpose built, extortionate corporate bowl like Wembley but it never had that feel to me, it felt like a football ground/stadium which suprised me a little, the view was superb though it was quite hard to hear the PA, and more thankfully that Simmons guy who i wasn't even aware was 'on' if that's the correct word to describe what he does.

After the game the High road outside was closed off and once again there was a sea of happiness from all, a sea of shirts, accents and locals looking totally bemused at what was happening on their doorstep.

Back into Kings cross for a pre-train drink, train back to Leeds then a rammed TP express (obviously) back to Huddersfield and in fact the worst part of the entire journey was waiting for a taxi home in Huddersfield.

A fantastic day and one i will definitely do again if it's held there, would i prefer it over the way too big, way too expensive money making area and stadium at Wembley?

Well  yes i think i would as it felt more normal than Wembley does.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, Josef K said:

I know i have mentioned this before, but did Mark Chapman say how much Wigan got for winning the cup. If it was mentioned i apologise, but if it wasn’t why won’t they say. What have they got too hide. 

BetFred and the RFL may consider that commercially sensitive information, or it could be nobody, except you, could give a toss.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

BetFred and the RFL may consider that commercially sensitive information, or it could be nobody, except you, could give a toss.

Prize money used to be published for all rounds of competitions. Same could be said for attendances - which is now often like some sort of small print which only detectives can find. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Prize money used to be published for all rounds of competitions. Same could be said for attendances - which is now often like some sort of small print which only detectives can find. 

Gate monies also used to be published, companies are far more careful these days about what they divulge.

That's why it is difficult to find what a TV contract is worth. Early doors Sky wouldn't have a problem announcing what they had paid for RL, there was no chance of the competition offering close to it. As the value to Sky has fallen and the price they pay has been closer to what others may see as tempting they are more reluctant than in thepast to make the contract price the headline.

If it is known that TV company A pays £20m for a competition TV company B knows what it has to offer to win the contract, the RFL would sooner they thought it was in the region of £20 to £28m than what the exact figure was, similar goes for the contract holders but they want it to appear to in the region of £15m to £20m so competitors bid below the current contract.

Its a game of cat and mouse played out between large corporations.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Having had to miss the day through illness, the only thing I'm glad I missed was him and his mate he used to dress up in blackface. Surprised the RFL, with their Tackle It campaign, are happy to promote Wagga when it's easy to find him in that get up.

Hope that wasn't the last time we go there after all the positivity. I'm gutted to have missed out, but my ticket didn't go to waste, so glad my mates enjoyed it. 🙂

22 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Having had to miss the day through illness, the only thing I'm glad I missed was him and his mate he used to dress up in blackface. Surprised the RFL, with their Tackle It campaign, are happy to promote Wagga when it's easy to find him in that get up.

Hope that wasn't the last time we go there after all the positivity. I'm gutted to have missed out, but my ticket didn't go to waste, so glad my mates enjoyed it. 🙂

Well according to his social media Leeds Rhinos have him as the entertainment in a few weeks so you can maybe pop up there if you want to enjoy his work some more.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Padge said:

I am very sorry i upset you Mr R Rimmer, but other sports are quite happy to announce prize monies for clubs winning league’s/cups. I don’t know why it has to be kept top secret or why it is so commercially sensitive. Unless Mr BetFred & the RFL don’t want to be seen handing over a £24.99p cheque to the winners of the CC. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Josef K said:

I am very sorry i upset you Mr R Rimmer, but other sports are quite happy to announce prize monies for clubs winning league’s/cups. I don’t know why it has to be kept top secret or why it is so commercially sensitive. Unless Mr BetFred & the RFL don’t want to be seen handing over a £24.99p cheque to the winners of the CC. 

For example, want to know how much every club that enters every FA competition will get … it’s right there.

If we’re not releasing the info then it’s because it’s poor.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For example, want to know how much every club that enters every FA competition will get … it’s right there.

If we’re not releasing the info then it’s because it’s poor.

I agree, there is absolutely nothing commercially sensitive about it. We did the same for years. I suspect embarrassment is the primary reason we don't these days.

• Like 2