Hows ticket sales going for CCF

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I used to be of this opinion about football, and then my team Man City became good and now Man Utd fans have to talk about empty seats at the Etihad (or Emptyhad).

We (RL fans) aren't that unique.

Ahh 

Well that's like how you know when the Giants are doing well 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You think Forest / Sheff Utd v Huddersfield Town in the play off final will only attract 45k people? That’s hilarious. 

Oh, sorry, will have 20000 empty seats.

Is that better? 

24 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I know it's tempting, especially when you're so committed yourself, but it's just not the fans' job to fix the sport.

Even if those Facebookers never attend a game, never watch one on TV, nor ever read an article about rugby league, just being on a rugby league Facebook site indirectly increases the commercial value of the sport. 

Our failing - and our opportunity - is the 10s of millions of people in the UK for whom rugby league doesn't even enter their consciousness. 

It's not their job no, but they could do their bit, however small, to try and make the game appealing and attractive to others, I know a few people who have commented on how negative rugby fans are, I presume they mean RL over RU?

Everyone involved in the sport surely has a small role to play in promoting it to a wider audience?

4 minutes ago, Ant said:

Oh, sorry, will have 20000 empty seats.

Is that better? 

Wembley holds 90,000. Yes that’s is better, though I think there’ll be more than 70,000 there anyway, Forest could take 45,000 on their own. 

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"**** ground, no fans" is one of my favourite and most direct football chants. And it's been around for longer than I have.

‘Come in a taxi’, ‘is that all you bring away’, sarcastically cheering when the attendance is announced at an away game when it’s less than your club gets, etc etc; football fans are as obsessed with attendances as anyone else. 

Edited by Eddie
Appalling spelling mistake.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

‘Come in a taxi’, ‘is that all you bring away’, sarcastically cheering when the attendance is announced at an away game when it’s less than your club gets, etc etc; football fans are as obsessed with attendances as anyone else. 

"Your support is f****** s***" is the most pathetic, tedious chant going.

I remember a section of Sheffield Wednesday fans singing it when we first relegated to L1 at the likes of Wycombe, Crewe, Rushden & Diamonds etc and thought it cringey then, how do you define "f***** s***?

That was 20 years ago, it seems to have resurrected itself and it's now become another cringeworthy generic chant, and it's most RL fans too.

Every set of fans the Huddersfield Giants have faced this season has sung it, Hull KR fans revelled in singing it at Leeds a couple of weeks ago, along with the "red robin" and the super ironic  "Huddersfield get battered everywhere they go" they were the only songs I heard rovers fans sing, ironically, it was the KR fans who were fighting in the stadium, at Leeds station, throwing flares and getting chucked out of the ground, Wigan fans sang it last week at ours despite bringing the lowest away following of the season,again, how do you define "f***** s***?

Fans, like ours who sit in half empty grounds shouldn't really be lowering themselves to it, I'd rather have 3/4 thousand well behaved, friendly, jovial passionate fans than 6,7 thousand drunken foul mouth yobs for a support.

However, the taxi thing, I don't mind, it's a bit of Harmless fun IMO, we at Huddersfield have taken to taking the mickey out of ourselves over this

No photo description available.

Edited by meast
  • Like 5

Do we even have a press officer (or whatever the modern name would be for that role) any more? 

It feels like these events just come and go with no comment from the RFL or SLE. We used to get updates around progress etc, now we seem to be more of a secret society. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Do we even have a press officer (or whatever the modern name would be for that role) any more? 

It feels like these events just come and go with no comment from the RFL or SLE. We used to get updates around progress etc, now we seem to be more of a secret society. 

We can only hope that this will be a priority for IMG and the the new JV (so no buck passing or duplication). 

Hopefully it's exactly the sort of thing we've got them on board for. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Is there still prize money for winning the CC or are we the only sport that doesn’t give out a cash bonus for winning something ?. 

Our winners probably have to pay the RFL to borrow the cup for a year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Sorry, am using this as an example of the ultimate fight in communications. The Hundred will fail miserably and cost hundreds of millions in doing so - but even I was shocked at the ###### they polished last year and will no doubt this!

RL can't even win the basic of communications efforts  - like the mid season international

They had a very complicit media on side (mostly) too.

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It makes a difference. It would be higher at Wembley, all other things being equal. That Wembley crowd might still have been the lowest ever at Wembley because at an underlying level the event is struggling.

All of these things can be true at the same time. 

I get that but you keep talking about this 'pain to get there' in arguably the best connected city in the world?! I've been to the NFL there and this just wasn't a talking point beyond leave yourself plenty of time to get there as trains/tubes will be busy. As per the semi final, i'm aware of a plethora of valid reasons why many won't be going and some of them could be addressed and some are beyond that. For me the stadium and/or it's location is once again been used to mask those issues instead of the reality that a huge shake up is required to make this competition more appealing to the masses. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I get that but you keep talking about this 'pain to get there' in arguably the best connected city in the world?! I've been to the NFL there and this just wasn't a talking point beyond leave yourself plenty of time to get there as trains/tubes will be busy. As per the semi final, i'm aware of a plethora of valid reasons why many won't be going and some of them could be addressed and some are beyond that. For me the stadium and/or it's location is once again been used to mask those issues instead of the reality that a huge shake up is required to make this competition more appealing to the masses. 

TBF loads of people complained about White Hart Lane for the NFL last year. Its a pain to get too, it is in a awful area, no fanzone and there was alot more crowd trouble than other years.

Edited by Mattrhino

2 hours ago, meast said:

Huddersfield Town and football have a much larger fanbase, so if this was a veiled dig it's way off, thousands of people will jump on a football bandwagon and go to these events, RL is a much smaller pool.

Agree, football is totally incomparable. I went to Gillingham lg1 playoff final with a Gillingham supporting mate they took 36,000 fans that day with an average home attendance of 6,000. It was just Kent locals who supported Spurs,Chelsea,Arsenal etc.. but went along to watch the local club at Wembley.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

TBF loads of people complained about White Hart Lane for the NFL last year. Its a pain to get too, it is in a awful area, no fanzone and there was alot more crowd trouble than other years.

Did they? Well something must have fundamentally changed there since 2019. We were told to get to the ground early but then found out there were some events on around Seven Sisters so spent the day there knowing if the tube was as bad as some were saying, up to the ground, we could just walk up, but that wasn't the case. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

54 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Did they? Well something must have fundamentally changed there since 2019. We were told to get to the ground early but then found out there were some events on around Seven Sisters so spent the day there knowing if the tube was as bad as some were saying, up to the ground, we could just walk up, but that wasn't the case. 

I get what you're saying, and of course for many people such issues aren't much of a complication. It doesn't bother me either, I've been going to White Hart Lane for decades so watching a CCF there will be a particular joy, just as seeing my Raiders play there was. 

I just feel that for some, perhaps a neutral or a Wigan/Hudds fan that isn't a diehard but wants a good day out, the unfamiliarity and the logistics might put a few off. 

When we don't sell out anyway - and I totally agree with your other issues with the CCF - even 2000-3000 put off makes a difference. 

(FWIW, I don't think there were any better choices. It has to be London, Wembley was unavailable, Arsenal is for the world cup, we've done London stadium and it was an underwhelming experience. And Twickers shouldn't even be considered! So Spurs it is, and I can't wait. But we need to get back to Wembley asap for all the reasons stated, while hopefully IMG reimagines the tournament in a way that rekindles wider interest in the final) 

• Like 3

I thought there would be a real sense of excitement about the final somewhere else. Firstly, we hear and read so much about Wembley being such a bad venue and Rugby League fans moaning about it for various reasons but also for the fact we’ve got a pretty much brand new, modern stadium that’s built with fan experience in mind that whilst smaller than Wembley should (IMO) have guaranteed a sell-out. 

The above is how I feel anyway, so I’m really excited about next weekend and getting a good look at a stadium I desperate want to go to and was looking forward to going to for England v Australia in 2020. That said, some people just moan about anything and you’ll never suit everyone. 

6 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Agree, football is totally incomparable. I went to Gillingham lg1 playoff final with a Gillingham supporting mate they took 36,000 fans that day with an average home attendance of 6,000. It was just Kent locals who supported Spurs,Chelsea,Arsenal etc.. but went along to watch the local club at Wembley.

Indeed. Lowestoft Town took 15,000 to the FA Vase final and they average about 600. 

I did the Yorkshire Three Peaks at the weekend. Of the hundreds of people we passed I noticed two who had football clobber on (both Sheffield Wednesday jerseys) but I must have seen 20+ rugby league jerseys, hoodies or shorts (Hull FC, Hull KR, West Hull, Leeds, Bradford). If it wasn’t for the pessimism on this forum I would have thought that the game was still thriving in Yorkshire based on that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I thought there would be a real sense of excitement about the final somewhere else. Firstly, we hear and read so much about Wembley being such a bad venue and Rugby League fans moaning about it for various reasons but also for the fact we’ve got a pretty much brand new, modern stadium that’s built with fan experience in mind that whilst smaller than Wembley should (IMO) have guaranteed a sell-out. 

The above is how I feel anyway, so I’m really excited about next weekend and getting a good look at a stadium I desperate want to go to and was looking forward to going to for England v Australia in 2020. That said, some people just moan about anything and you’ll never suit everyone. 

Yes, I can't go, I have other arrangements, but I was very excited about going to Spurs' ground when it was to be used for the England game, and if the dates worked out I'd happily have gone for this. 

I don't think the ground is a great excuse if this one is lower, we have seen in black and white that new grounds used for RL get a novelty uplift and this is widely acknowledged as a great ground. It should also provide the benefit of being a good atmosphere if full versus 62k in Wembley. 

If this was the 2nd game at this ground and the 1st one was a bad experience, fair enough, but the ground shouldn't be a negative for this game. Quite the opposite.