Maurice Lindsay passed away.

RIP. As part of the gang of 4 he transformed Wigan in the 1980s and I'll never forget that 1986-87 season when we became champions.

He also had a clear vision of what Rugby League needed to progress and kicked the game forwards in the 1990s. Whilst he may have been a polarising figure he certainly set standards and strove for Wigan and the game to be the best it could be.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

RIP and condolences to his friends and family . A huge figure in the modern history of the game and oversaw an incredible period of wigan dominance with some great players 

• Like 3

One of the most significant off-field figures in the game, Chairman Mo was one of those people with a vision, who could (and would) get things done, and who wouldn't file everything in the "too difficult" bin.

• Like 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

One of the most significant off-field figures in the game, Chairman Mo was one of those people with a vision, who could (and would) get things done, and who wouldn't file everything in the "too difficult" bin.

Absolutely right and well said. 

Sad news. Like him or not, and he certainly split opinion, he was as important a figure at Wigan as any. RIP Maurice.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

25 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sad news, RIP Maurice. 

Remember this guy has loved ones before posting - it's just a game after all!

Yes agree. A good debate to be had about his legacy but this isn't the thread for it. Certainly a very big figure when I started watching RL.

RIP.

• Like 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Sad indeed. When he was at the RFL I had several dealings with him and he always delivered what he said he would. Blunt and quirky of course but a real driving force in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of our current successes as a sport come from hard decisions he made, challenging the rest of the sport to keep up with Wigan or keep falling behind.

For that, I'm truly grateful for his work within our sport, it properly professionalised the sport at a time when it was needed.

The remainder of my opinion him, his influence and the problems he brought can rest now in the past.

RIP Maurice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

A lot of our current successes as a sport come from hard decisions he made, challenging the rest of the sport to keep up with Wigan or keep falling behind.

For that, I'm truly grateful for his work within our sport, it properly professionalised the sport at a time when it was needed.

The remainder of my opinion him, his influence and the problems he brought can rest now in the past.

RIP Maurice.

This

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I'd say THE most significant and influential figure of the post-war period. No one publicised the sport better.. or more.

A real go-getter who transformed Wigan and then the game as a whole.

RIP Maurice.

• Like 2

A recent interview with Maurice: https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/05/17/watch-maurice-lindsay/ 

"Recently, Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, travelled to meet Maurice Lindsay at his home in Lytham St Annes to chat about his memories of his time at Wigan and in the sport of Rugby League.
The interview was to be used as part of our 150th year celebrations, but following today’s sad news, it seemed appropriate to share."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson