I think Stefan Ratchford has played very competently in every position in the backs, plus hooker and loose forward. Even Warrington haven't yet been desperate enough to give him a go at prop though.

Sort of conversely, Tawera Nikau could easily play any role in the forwards and stand in very effectively in the halves.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think Elliott Whitehead could do (at least) a solid job at 3, 4, 6, 8-13.

Peak Inglis, 1-7 with ease and big enough for any pack position (albeit too tall for 9).

Luke Lewis, just about anywhere. I don't think you'd play him at 1, 7 or 9 but the point stands.

Sonny Bill, similar positional options to Luke Lewis (in an emergency).

Farrell and Sculthorpe - plenty of options too.

13 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Ellery Hanley, just a brilliant player put what number you want on his back. 

Selfishly, I'm a bit disappointed that 'peak Hanley' happened when I was a kid when I didn't know as much about the game.

Edited by Alan Robertson

I thought about this a bit more and thought of Simon Grix. Definitely had the footballing skills to play anywhere on the pitch, and at various times in his career had the athleticism and physique to be an outside back, forward or spine player.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think Wally Lewis could probably have covered about every position on the League field if he wanted to. And that`s the view of someone who hated him with the best of them back in the day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

Who is the most versatile professional player that you have seen? A player who, at a push, could play (or have played) anywhere from 1-13. 

Anyone who played in David Waite's Great Britain team. 

In every position a loose forward, except at loose forward. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Was an early imagination of the full back in every position in the backline adopted by NSW

28 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

You really had to respect his refusal to stick to RL positions. Richard Horne as a winger for a whole Ashes series was a highlight for me 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I thought about this a bit more and thought of Simon Grix. Definitely had the footballing skills to play anywhere on the pitch, and at various times in his career had the athleticism and physique to be an outside back, forward or spine player.

A nice leftfield shout that. I think Grix was an extremely underrated and skilful player. A real shame injuries hampered his career so much, I though he was an excellent player.

Sam Panapa, of course, has to be part of this thread.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Alan Robertson said:

It's a good job that he was the first player listed 😉

Whoops, skipped that and just saw Jack Wighton in the OP.

Still fitting, as Sam was selected twice in Wigan's team of the century.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ryan Matterson has started NRL games in every position bar Wing and Fullback but has spent time on the wing due to injuries mid-game, leaving fullback as the only position he hasn't played at NRL level (I can't see that changing for the rest of his career).

Edited by UTK

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

You really had to respect his refusal to stick to RL positions. Richard Horne as a winger for a whole Ashes series was a highlight for me 😆

I was going to say this but you beat me to it. Foresight like we hadn't seen before. I was going to say or since but then Blake Austin came along.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I was going to say this but you beat me to it. Foresight like we hadn't seen before. I was going to day or since but then Blake Austin came along.

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that!!