Sat 21st-Sun 22nd May: The Betfred Championship (Non TV) Match Thread

Haven giving Widnes a real run for their money for the worst team seen at Post Office Road this season. 

Half time, Fev 46 Haven nil. 

For anyone thinking the slope has an impact, Haven played downhill. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Haven giving Widnes a real run for their money for the worst team seen at Post Office Road this season. 

Half time, Fev 46 Haven nil. 

For anyone thinking the slope has an impact, Haven played downhill. 

I recall a Tommy Martyn drop goal just before half time that gave Leyth a 47-0 lead at PO rd back in 2004 😉 , that was up the slope as well 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meast said:

Why don't Featherstone and Leigh just play off now?

What's the real point of the championship?

This kind of comment really hacks me off. You've got two teams that are trying to be the best they can, and people are moaning about the effect it has on the Championship.

If you think Fev and Leigh should be fast-tracked to SL, then just say so, but only in rugby league is ambition and success viewed as something negative.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, meast said:

I think York and Batley might think differently, probably Fax.

• Like 5

Almost a friendly feel to the 2nd half, as Fev shuffle player positions around. Starting hooker currently at centre, with 2nd row at hooker. 

64 nil, 10 mins left. 

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This kind of comment really hacks me off. You've got two teams that are trying to be the best they can, and people are moaning about the effect it has on the Championship.

If you think Fev and Leigh should be fast-tracked to SL, then just say so, but only in rugby league is ambition and success viewed as something negative.

I mean that the spending power of Fev and Leigh in order to achieve SL status has created a 2 horse competition.

Surely there should be healthy competition?

It's like when Huddersfield went the 2002 competition unbeaten, it was a totally lopsided, uncompetitive league, what should be a great competition with teams all competing to get into SL, instead it's become a case of who can spend more and not lose a game.

9 minutes ago, meast said:

I mean that the spending power of Fev and Leigh in order to achieve SL status has created a 2 horse competition.

It's like when Huddersfield went the 2002 competition unbeaten, it was a totally lopsided, uncompetitive league, what should be a great competition with teams all competing to get into SL, instead it's become a case of who can spend more and not lose a game.

SL is going to be won by one ot two teams how's that any different, possibly 3.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, meast said:

Did you complain at the time back in 2002 ? 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 07:37, ShropshireBull said:

Think it would be but Eagles first game back in Sheffield. 

As it turns out, but when the Widnes game was chosen, it was down to be the fourth home game.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, meast said:

To a degree, I agree. 

I'm a Fev fan, who has just got home. Whilst obviously pleasing to play well and have an excellent win, part of the element is entertainment and that's lost when games are so one sided. There is a similar gap between top and bottom in league 1 as well, and I'd suggest similar in SL, albeit without so many blowout scores. The problem is the solutions suggested always seem to be to to restrict the top teams, rather than increase the standard of the rest. I'd suggest that approach is the wrong way around. The problem here isn't the spending power of Fev and Leigh, it's the lack of spending power elsewhere in the league. 

• Like 10

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

As a Leigh fan, I am quite envious of Fev this year. The team they have, the fervent fans, the direction they are going in. They have been building up to this for some years now and have perhaps let other teams surpass them, but in doing so this seems to be now working in their favour, I for one would not be upset if they gained promotion to super league, The downside being that along with the likes of fax, batley and of course leigh, a great championship fixture would be missed.

• Like 6

I don’t think results like today are good for game, I felt sorry for Whitehaven today they were on a hiding to nothing. The simple fact is both Leigh and Fev are too good for the rest of the teams in this division on a weekly basis.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I don’t think results like today are good for game, I felt sorry for Whitehaven today they were on a hiding to nothing. The simple fact is both Leigh and Fev are too good for the rest of the teams in this division on a weekly basis.

We've  been on the end of many big defeats in my 50 years of supporting Fev. I didn't expect them to feel sorry for us and don't suppose they did. IF we get in SL and get some battering's we won't get much sympathy and why would we ? Full credit to the Whitehaven supporters who travelled to watch that,that's dedication 👏

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Leigh and fev are good for this division , the benchmark is set and other club's should relish the challenge I know fordy will when we go there in July😀😀😀.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, meast said:

Super League  Grand Final winners FOUR teams only since its inception in 1996, what's the point of SL then ?

• Like 1