Mon 23rd May: Ch: Sheffield Eagles v Widnes Vikings KO 19:45 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles
    • Widnes Vikings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/05/22 at 19:15

45 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes. Reducing the capacity the week before a game is a shambles. 

Blame Sheffield City Council and the Scarborough Group, absolutely nothing The Eagles can do about it, or the RFL for that matter...  

SAG's lay down the rules, and can do so whenever they fell they need to...

Anyway 800 fans will enjoy a fabulous game of RL on Monday night.... 

2 hours ago, mozzauk said:

Blame Sheffield City Council and the Scarborough Group, absolutely nothing The Eagles can do about it, or the RFL for that matter...  

SAG's lay down the rules, and can do so whenever they fell they need to...

Anyway 800 fans will enjoy a fabulous game of RL on Monday night.... 

Maybe Sheffield should have planned to return to their ground next season when all the uncertainty would have been out of the way

Nah.. It was all good to go with the capacity of 1300 until SCC at the last minute added the restriction

There can be uncertainty around every ground whether it be a new stadium, or an existing one when it come to Safety Certificates... and any council or responsible body can ask for restrictions at any time....

Just remember 800 fans is more than a lot of teams get... lol

The stadium development was delayed due to weather and shortage of materials due to Covid 19.I can't understand that in a city the size of Sheffield why the Eastern Terrace was not put in prior to the opening game.It would stretch the length of the pitch and probably add another 800 to 1000 on capacity.Cost would be about 2m.I think Eagles have been let down.

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Maybe Sheffield should have planned to return to their ground next season when all the uncertainty would have been out of the way

Maybe waiting nine years is long enough.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

45 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The stadium development was delayed due to weather and shortage of materials due to Covid 19.I can't understand that in a city the size of Sheffield why the Eastern Terrace was not put in prior to the opening game.It would stretch the length of the pitch and probably add another 800 to 1000 on capacity.Cost would be about 2m.I think Eagles have been let down.

Because the development is dependent on return on investment. Once SUFC ladies were out of the equation the full development was never going to happen in the short term. The ground is a community stadium (you could hire it if you wanted to) and the Eagles merely rent it. Most posters on here are delusional to the reality. 

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

48 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think Eagles have been let down.

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Because the development is dependent on return on investment. Once SUFC ladies were out of the equation the full development was never going to happen in the short term. The ground is a community stadium (you could hire it if you wanted to) and the Eagles merely rent it. Most posters on here are delusional to the reality. 

I'd suggest you're both correct. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Just now, gazza77 said:

I'd suggest you're both correct. 😉

Who's let the Eagles down? It's been perfectly clear for over 2 years that the full development isn't going to happen any time soon. The only let down is folk promising things that 1. clearly aren't going to happen (the development) and 2. before they are officially confirmed (allowed capacity) 

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Who's let the Eagles down? It's been perfectly clear for over 2 years that the full development isn't going to happen any time soon. The only let down is folk promising things that 1. clearly aren't going to happen (the development) and 2. before they are officially confirmed (allowed capacity) 

No one in particular on this specific development. The original outline of what would happen when Don Valley was demolished however seems to me (from a distance and without detail however) to be somewhat less than was promised.

Get into discussions about whose responsibility it is to build a ground however is anothet discussion, and can of worms.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It was perfectly clear until Wednesday that the capacity would be substantially more than 800.

Richard Caborn former minister of sport under a Labour Government promised Eagles on completion of the demolition of Don Valley Stadium.6 million Investment to build a stadium 3G pitch stand seating 2500 with an overall ground capacity of 10000 to be ready for 2016.I I as a Fev supporter living in Sheffield have never been to a game unless Fev were playing.But the original promise has not been kept Eagles have been sold down the river.Despite Mark Astons efforts who by the way was ###### for us when we signed him as a player but credit to him he has kept Eagles alive.

• Like 1

I call it the McCabe effect, everything that man touches turns to ##### 

The Eagles and Eagles where sold a lot of lot things by Caborn, the Council, and by the Scarborough and yet the still try and mess us around...  

I think the majority of Eagles fans know the plans and understand that a lot of it is down to outside forces...

Edited by mozzauk

22 hours ago, Spidey said:

Certainly would've made sense to play an opening fixture that a) wasn't on a Monday night and b) wasn't against a team that would've brought a few hundred fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Certainly would've made sense to play an opening fixture that a) wasn't on a Monday night and b) wasn't against a team that would've brought a few hundred fans. 

How would you achieve that, given that the opening game has been twice delayed this season alone ?  Keep waiting until the "right" fixture comes along ?

And since attendance is capped at 800, extra demand from away fans is irrelevant - indeed, probably unwanted.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

How would you achieve that, given that the opening game has been twice delayed this season alone ?  Keep waiting until the "right" fixture comes along ?

And since attendance is capped at 800, extra demand from away fans is irrelevant - indeed, probably unwanted.

Is it going to be 800 permanently then?

As I said on the match thread, it's a pretty poor show to tell people who've taken a day off work that they can't come to the game at such short notice. I appreciate it's mostly not the Eagles' fault, but they do have some responsibility here. 

48 minutes ago, JonM said:

Is it going to be 800 permanently then?

As I said on the match thread, it's a pretty poor show to tell people who've taken a day off work that they can't come to the game at such short notice. I appreciate it's mostly not the Eagles' fault, but they do have some responsibility here. 

It's not unreasonable, in my view, for the Council to mention a tad earlier than five days before the game, that the stadium capacity will be limited to 800.

That's where the responsibility lies.

Not sure what you're expecting by saying it's a "poor show".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonM said:

but they do have some responsibility here. 

Appreciate its upset and annoyed some people who made plans, but you have had a month to buy the tickets...

The Eagles have no responsibility. They dont own the Safety Cert, they dont own the Stadium...

The ground is being run by Scarborough Group, and the OLP is owned by Sheffield City Council and Hallam Uni.. The Eagles are just tenants...

The Eagles will have been the last to be notified...

19 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

Appreciate its upset and annoyed some people who made plans, but you have had a month to buy the tickets...

On the other hand, demand exceeds supply, so someone is going to be disappointed.

10 hours ago, mozzauk said:

The Eagles have no responsibility. They dont own the Safety Cert, they dont own the Stadium...

The ground is being run by Scarborough Group, and the OLP is owned by Sheffield City Council and Hallam Uni.. The Eagles are just tenants...

The Eagles will have been the last to be notified...

Eagles take responsibility as to where they are playing, should games in the championship be able to be played where only 800 can attend?

There seems to be no minimum standards in RL anymore, no wonder people are switching off

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Eagles take responsibility as to where they are playing, should games in the championship be able to be played where only 800 can attend?

There seems to be no minimum standards in RL anymore, no wonder people are switching off

Im sorry but sod off... 

What is the point in most games been played in 5K+ stadia, when most teams struggle to get half that...  and the likes of Leigh Sports village look absolutely horrendous with 1 or 2 sides open... 

Its for a game or 2 end of... 

Today is a good day for Rugby League, a new stadium and a new future for the Eagles and Rugby League in Sheffield and South Yorkshire...

Come on you Eagles!!!!!

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, mozzauk said:

Im sorry but sod off... 

What is the point in most games been played in 5K+ stadia, when most teams struggle to get half that...  and the likes of Leigh Sports village look absolutely horrendous with 1 or 2 sides open... 

Its for a game or 2 end of... 

Today is a good day for Rugby League, a new stadium and a new future for the Eagles and Rugby League in Sheffield and South Yorkshire...

Come on you Eagles!!!!!

Accepting mediocrity shouldn’t be an option in professional sports. All should have minimum standards. 

By your logic empty stands look worse than nothing at all around a pitch? Bit weird logic that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Accepting mediocrity shouldn’t be an option in professional sports. All should have minimum standards. 

By your logic empty stands look worse than nothing at all around a pitch? Bit weird logic that

Empty stands ?  It's a sell out !🙄

On 21/05/2022 at 22:02, Spidey said:

9 years we havent had a ground, 9 years others have profited from the Eagles fans.. even limited numbers at a ground where you can actually make some money for yourself is better than 1500 at a ground where you are getting nothing. lets remember 5% of something is better than 100% of nothing (Big Picture may come on and debate that with some form of ratio based rubbish but I'm pretty sure my maths is correct)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

9 years we havent had a ground, 9 years others have profited from the Eagles fans.. even limited numbers at a ground where you can actually make some money for yourself is better than 1500 at a ground where you are getting nothing. lets remember 5% of something is better than 100% of nothing (Big Picture may come on and debate that with some form of ratio based rubbish but I'm pretty sure my maths is correct)

My point is that we don't seem to have minimum standards anymore for professional rugby league - I think that's an issue worth highlighting

• Like 1