Mon 23rd May: Ch: Sheffield Eagles v Widnes Vikings KO 19:45 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles
    • Widnes Vikings

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/05/22 at 19:15

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Empty stands ?  It's a sell out !🙄

The other poster mentioned LSV as an example of a poor ground with empty stands, as opposed to Sheffield's new ground with some sides without stands 🙂

Edited by Spidey

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Eagles take responsibility as to where they are playing, should games in the championship be able to be played where only 800 can attend?

There seems to be no minimum standards in RL anymore, no wonder people are switching off

In an ideal world no 800 isnt good enough and there should be minimum standards.. however, we are where we are, I dont believe there are minimum standards and this is a short term issue, and if the RFL want to hammer Eagles for this then they should take a long hard look at themselves over many many other clubs and their shoddy falling down stadiums that they have allowed to take part in the top level league...

Caborn lied about the support we would get, the Council put us back and  back finding a contractor.. when it did go to McCabe there were no guarantees put in place, mostly because SCC are utter rubbish at anything with a commercial aspect to it. McCabe broke his word because he had a spat with the Prince. 

All of it has been absolutely rubbish for Rugby league in this great city.. however:

We now have a ground, yes limited until June but hopefully a safety certificate is given and we can move forward

We keep money spent at the ground so Eagles can actually earn from a match day

There is scope to add to this ground relatively easily and cheaply if needed and standing around the pitch.

There will be a permanent presence back in the city that can be built on. 

New Junior teams are playing the game (Sheffield Tigers Rugby Union club put out an under 14 Rugby League team this weekend and the Under 15s will play on Thursday their first ever game)

There are rumours of take over talks at United which may put McCabes nose at least a bit back in place and allow the Sheffield United Ladies to play back in the city (it is their preferred option... especially as Sheffield FC who also have a women's team are about to start building a ground with training facilities at Meadowhead).

There are huge positives looking forward and this is a minor minor bump in the road compared to what has happened to the club in the past. 

Edited by RP London

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My point is that we don't seem to have minimum standards anymore for professional rugby league - I think that's an issue worth highlighting

Then take that up with the RFL dont blame a club trying to do their best to get a home and working to what is in place. I dont disagree but equally I would be annoyed if Eagles had gone for something (or McCabe or the Council) that was far too big just to fit with the idea of a ground that COULD hold 15,000 when your never going to fill it.. 

Surely we should learn from places like the DVS that was great, but fell into disrepair because it was too big for what was needed by the mid 2000s (not taking into account that it did fill athletics meetings in the 90s but didnt reinvest money which meant it stopped being able to host them.. thanks City Council!).. If Eagles ever got to the stage of needing a bigger ground for one off matches then they have played at the Lane before and I am sure they could do again. There is scope to build more IF NEEDED on the site that they have now.. 

Until I came on here I was thoroughly looking forward to what will be a very special night tonight for us fans that have waiting an awful long time to go to a home, and to take kids to what can now be a home for the club. People cannot just be happy they always have to look at negatives.. This is a good thing, the 800 is a minor blip due to some council issue.. this will be remedied in the next month or so.

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My point is that we don't seem to have minimum standards anymore for professional rugby league - I think that's an issue worth highlighting

On the minimum standards thing.. I took my son to 1 game at Belle Vue when it was our "home ground" (he was 9).. he point blank refused to go again due to the state of it.. He is now 14 and excited to see the "new ground" because it should (in his words) "be clean, tidy and not feel as though it is about to fall down at any moment" (granted I havent told him that the safety certificate has limited the attendance).. 

While I think minimum standards would be good as a game I think we are along way off from it.. whats better a bigger stadium that is falling down or a new one thats a bit smaller than you would like but satisfies the demand for tickets for most matches, and is a sell out for others... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RP London said:

Until I came on here I was thoroughly looking forward to what will be a very special night

Well, I hope you've learned your lesson, young man!

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I missed the first ten minutes, but have enjoyed everything since. Anyone's game in the second half, too!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

At work so looks like I am missing a great game... 

The Eagles' "wet toilet paper" defence seems to have got its act together, and they're looking more composed all round than they did earlier.

Currently Sheffield 22:12 Widnes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isaac Farrell! What a step!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Widnes showing a bit of enterprise and spirit late on, but loo late on.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoyed the game especially watching the Wakefield lads.

Aydin got plenty of minutes and put in a pretty faultless defensive display. Helped Eagles keep Widnes pointless during his spell.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 hours ago, RP London said:

On the minimum standards thing.. I took my son to 1 game at Belle Vue when it was our "home ground" (he was 9).. he point blank refused to go again due to the state of it..

That's a bit precious don't you think? I've taken my 8 year old daughter to Belle Vue a couple of times and she's enjoyed it and the state of the ground just wasn't on her radar. Mind you, the highlight of our first trip was the visit to Thornes Park beforehand and seeing several wild rats by the lake!!!