Match thread: Championship Rd12. Featherstone Rovers v Whitehaven. Saturday 21st May 2022.

We will get a contest next week and tonight's game will have little bearing on the result.Very poor from Haven who i thought would put up more resistance.Koppy looked to have a leg injury so hope it's not too bad.One thing i learned from the game is that Jones is our best number 9.

40 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

OK I accept we can only play what's in front of us..... but that, along with so many other games this season was no real contest.

Agreed. Good win, good performance, but in the entertainment front I feel let down when it's so one sided. That's not Fev's fault, just the way it is. 

• Like 4

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

You don't notice Kheirallah until he's gone off, then you notice others don't do what he does quite as well.

Don't say Kheirallah is better than Bibb, just different. Bibby was an awesome and underrated FB.

The difference is K brings other players into the game more and also makes tries.Cnris timed his run into the line to perfection and burst through with the pace of a winger.Different game then Bibb was not tested as much with the high kick.K is not faultless under the bomb.Pickersgill was an improvement for us and i thought he played well.But K is better all round and as stated in earlier post is more likeky to be a match winner.Not many full backs could tackle like Bibb at speed round the ankles which usually brought the attacking player down with a thud.Looking back we have been blessed with good full backs.

• Like 3

Bibb played when we were in the top league….I think! Mark hasn’t played in SL against the best attacks and defences yet. Surely that makes the comparison between Mark and any player who played in the highest division slightly flawed. Although he’s undoubtedly a class act. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Bibb played when we were in the top league….I think! Mark hasn’t played in SL against the best attacks and defences yet. Surely that makes the comparison between Mark and any player who played in the highest division slightly flawed. Although he’s undoubtedly a class act. 

Equally, how many FT players did Bibb play against even if in the top division? 

Different eras, different game in many ways. I didn't see Bibb play in my youth so couldn't compare the two, and tbh I'd suggest you couldn't really anyway given the changes in the game. A comment earlier refers to Freddy Miller, could you really compare him to Bibb? 

Bibby was clearly a class full back, as is Khierallah. At this moment Khierallah is imo the best full back we have on the books, and probably the best over recent seasons. You could probably say that about most of the squad in their respective positions tho. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Thought ford got stuck in with regards tackling when he came on - did not have much impact with ball in hand but probably not helped with that with all the posistional changes in the second half but thought his organisation and marshalling of the line and his leadership skills was there for all to see and his influence on games will grow with more gametime

• Like 1

Bibb was excellent much better tackler also harold box was pretty good in defence I also really liked john marsden but he dropped a few high kicks under our crappy floodlights  yet khierallah is the best of the bunch in support and attack however not as good in defence as the others but time will tell.

Chris was the best defensive fullback but Marks attack is something else, as. Some one has said all at top speed, he hits the line and changes direction without slowing and he's far superior to Chris with ball in hand.  Although completely different games nowadays.  I think we still need another prop like Koppy for the interchange. 

• Like 1

You've got to remember that the game has changed so much in the last few years Positional awareness has altered. Most players adapt to more than one position nowadays. Right now Kheirallah is doing a fantastic job and does things that you notice more when you've watched the match back. Top player.

15 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Absolutely embarassing from haven but fev have been cut throat up the slope

13 hours ago, haskey said:

Haven round trip of 300 miles to be completely embarrassed,

To be fair they had a boat load of first choice players missing NO Geronomo Players playing out of position  and lads on the bench coming back from injury they were always on a hiding to nothing

WHILE we'are talking fullbacks lets not forget Rod Pethybridge  🤣

• Like 1

As stated earlier we have had some good ones.Bibb,Box.Colins,and not mentioned but very good Ian Hardman just a bit short of top class but did well for us.Very old supporters may remember Freddie Miller,Jackie Fennell,and Cyril Kellett who played in a different era when the main job of the full back was kicking they lacked pace but did what was required.One player i could put forward is Garry Cooper he sliced through at pace and was good position wise and tackling.However he didn't play many games at full back before switching to centre.Garry was selected in that position for the 1962 tour to Australia but did not play in any of the Test Matches.He had only signed on for us from Fev Juniors less than 3 years before.

I accept all the arguments over comparing players from different era's and not being able to say one is better than the other.

Some great shouts.

Maybe a consensus. 

Killer for his creativity and football brain?

Bibby for his raw pace and clean tackling?

Hardman for his reliability, leadership and incredible goal kicking.

Marsy. Great call. I remember the season we were promoted. His elusivity then was remarkable.