Let's Do The RFL's Job For Them - Challenge Cup 2023

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

And if no one voluntarily gives money what do you do then?

I know reducing the salary cap gives nothing extra for the Challenge Cup final. So should you with your extensive salary cap knowledge.

What , that nice Mr Leneghan wouldn't stump up for the good of the game ? , Surely the Wigan faithfull , being more ' game ' than club would demand he do so , look at the way you all hang around to applaud the opposition when you take a tonking ? 😉

16 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Primarily London 

I'm not pretentious enough to think they'd be guaranteed to work , but I do think I know what puts people off , more than what attracts them 

Well that's a great starting point.

What is it, that we are doing to put people off?

If we can eliminate those issues, we can build from there.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Well that's a great starting point.

What is it, that we are doing to put people off?

If we can eliminate those issues, we can build from there.

Well going off my list , having last minute sell offs of tickets at reduced prices definitely winds people up , meaning many wait , then don't bother , so don't do it , set a price for the CC Final no matter where in the stadium that seat is , fill the stadium from the half way lines on a first come first served basis , one side reserved for the 2 finalists , the other for neutrals , so you know your cost as soon as they are announced , the better seat you want , the earlier you book 

Simples 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 23:32, Scubby said:

I'll go first - 2023 return to Wembley 90,000 seats to fill

Challenge Cup - Oldest Rugby Competition in the World

Theme - 1990s

• Finalists play in 1990s heritage strip
  • DJ playing 1990s music (maybe even Pat Sharp lol)
  • Pre match show (light ££) - 1990s pop acts like Heather Small, Chesney Hawkes, Right Said Fred signing one or two of their bangers.
  • Parade of 1990 legends - vehicles around the stadium - Offiah, Davies, Schofield, Aston, Hanley, Goulding, Newlove, Crooks, Farrell, Robinson, Morley, Paul, Edwards etc.
  • Extend half time to 25 minutes
  • Half-time show (big investment ££) - 1990s act like Take That or Boyzone or Liam Gallagher or Erasure (15 mins)
  • 1990s themed entertainment/games/concessions outside

Sell the hell out of it to neutrals as a celebration event of our great game with a recognisable theme. Announce this #### early!

30,000 more tickets than 2022 is worth £1.2m to £1.6m

Aim of the day is to get people there early, enjoying themselves and something for everyone. For the purists, the rugby will always provide the entertainment on the pitch. We have history, we have culture - we should use it! But the key is we have to invest to stop the decline and make people want to come. Could do 2000s in 2024.

I'm sure there are many ways to skin a cat. Anyone got other ideas?

You do realise rugby leagues problem is there's less fans, less younger fans and you want to centre the 2nd biggest event in the calendar as a nostalgia event for old bastards like me? That turn up anyway?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

You do realise rugby leagues problem is there's less fans, less younger fans and you want to centre the 2nd biggest event in the calendar as a nostalgia event for old bastards like me? That turn up anyway?

There are 10 million potential fans in London and the wider area - both young and old. Why play a game in London if you are not looking to target fans in the South East?

Having Alex Simmons playing house music for a few quid probably isn't going to cut it.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

Just now, Scubby said:

There are 10 million potential fans in London and the wider area - both young and old. Why play a game in London if you are not looking to target fans in the South East?

Just tapping in to 0.10% of that is 10,000 people going to the Challenge Cup final. We really only need to sell the event to a tiny percentage to get a lot more sales.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Damien said:

Just tapping in to 0.10% of that is 10,000 people going to the Challenge Cup final. We really only need to sell the event to a tiny percentage to get a lot more sales.

Exactly this.

It won't work this year but linked to all the comments above - some targeted work at stations that are within 60 minutes of Wembley Stadium station would be money well spent. Lots of families on that line and a day out at Wembley for a proper event is a thing people like to do.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I like the 90s theme idea... and similar can be used to theme other years for sure once it starts to build back up the themes are less important as long as the entertainment is good. 

Celebrate the game, its what it should be, but make sure its not all about the game (therefore alienating none RL fans). I could see our party for this year (me and my son) becoming double the size (my wife and daughter being added) if a 90s theme was on with music etc and there was more going on around the ground (that Twickenham stage looks great!). Other mates too who arent 100% into RL would probably head down for a weekend including the cup final. If you can get people to go for whom the game is perhaps more incidental to the day/weekend then you are winning. The key is to get them into the stadium to watch the game and potentially enjoy it in the first place. If its just the match that people are going down to watch you will never grow the "not sure really" event goer who can convert into a "this is a good sport/dayout" fan.

• Like 1

Please nobody feel the need to go and look, or heaven forbid, buy a ticket, but I've just seen an ad for the RU Grand Final at Twickenham a couple of weeks after our Cup Final. 

The digital advert has pics of Rugby players, but front and centre are their star acts that they have signed up. They know that just selling this as a Rugby match is a waste of time. Rugby fans will know about it and either attend or won't. 

Their Fan Village entertainment includes:

Sophie Ellis Bextor

The Feeling

DJ Ryan Arnold

Land Rover Experience, Drinks lounges, Craft Beers, Street Food Market, inflatables, Kick challenges, sponsors games etc. 

In fact it sounds like all the beat elements of the fanzines that we used to make an effort with once upon a time. 

None of this is revolutionary, but you can guarantee they will do it well, and the fact that their advert talks more about this stuff than the actual Rugby is telling. 

Not a single mention on the creative of big hits, spectacular tries etc. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Please nobody feel the need to go and look, or heaven forbid, buy a ticket, but I've just seen an ad for the RU Grand Final at Twickenham a couple of weeks after our Cup Final. 

The digital advert has pics of Rugby players, but front and centre are their star acts that they have signed up. They know that just selling this as a Rugby match is a waste of time. Rugby fans will know about it and either attend or won't. 

Their Fan Village entertainment includes:

Sophie Ellis Bextor

The Feeling

DJ Ryan Arnold

Land Rover Experience, Drinks lounges, Craft Beers, Street Food Market, inflatables, Kick challenges, sponsors games etc. 

In fact it sounds like all the beat elements of the fanzines that we used to make an effort with once upon a time. 

None of this is revolutionary, but you can guarantee they will do it well, and the fact that their advert talks more about this stuff than the actual Rugby is telling. 

Not a single mention on the creative of big hits, spectacular tries etc. 

The difference with the Challenge Cup Final is night and day. A wide array of acts to appeal to everyone and some recognisable names. It seems like they've actually made an effort. Our 'effort' has been discussed enough so there's no point repeating. Indeed there is little to discuss anyway in terms of entertainment.

• Like 1

@Dave T I think those images are really terrible. They are just completely meaningless. If I wasn't a RL fan I wouldn't have a clue what that is trying to sell or for what sport. I wouldn't have a clue the teams involved. I know exactly what they are for and I'm even struggling to make out what they are trying to do.

The 6 logos on that first one just looks so cluttered. What the hell is it they want me to go to? The only thing that gives it away is the url.

The second, be there for what? I've absolutely no idea!

The third is just a bit meh. That's not going to make anyone go who wouldn't be going anyway.

I just think they are all appalling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

@Dave T I think those images are really terrible. They are just completely meaningless. If I wasn't a RL fan I wouldn't have a clue what that is trying to sell or for what sport. I wouldn't have a clue the teams involved. I know exactly what they are for and I'm even struggling to make out what they are trying to do.

The 6 logos on that first one just looks so cluttered. What the hell is it they want me to go to? The only thing that gives it away is the url.

The third is just a bit meh. That's not going to make anyone go who wouldn't be going anyway.

Now to be fair, they are just a small selection of a lot of digital ads used in the last few weeks - so they add context, but they are all based around the Rugby. All the clips showing action. That's fine for existing customers who like Rugby, but there is nowt about the event. 

Theyre rubbish. 

A quick scan of the Super League site shows zero mentions of the Challenge Cup. I know it's not an SLE asset, but we are too small to be so fragmented. This is a final between two SL teams, surely it is in SLE'S interest to push its visibility. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A quick scan of the Super League site shows zero mentions of the Challenge Cup. I know it's not an SLE asset, but we are too small to be so fragmented. This is a final between two SL teams, surely it is in SLE'S interest to push its visibility. 

Especially when we're "back together" again, and one club is owned by the Chairman of Super League as well!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Be there when they meet again. Eh? 

FB_IMG_1653503881888.jpg

15 hours ago, Damien said:

I think the 'meet again' is because it was used specifically around the time that they met in the league the other week.

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

I think the 'meet again' is because it was used specifically around the time that they met in the league the other week.

Yeah, I did get it, but if ever there was an ad tailored to the niche population of RL fans, this was it. 

I think that kind of ad maybe works on the back of a huge Derby, or a bad blood epic...