I'm not sure about this Rohan

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

I would say his big problem is there being no friction, that group of players need to be hammered by the new coach and get some effort out of them. Being nicey nicey will not work.

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think this montage sums up Leeds this season. Our defence hasn't been that bad all things considered, but our attack has been pretty woeful. And when your attack is as bad as ours you absolutely have to take golden chances that are presented to you like some of the above are.

The camp is unlikely to be very happy given the results this year. I suspect many are being moved on at the end of the year too.

To move player's on if they are in contract will cost a lot of money and subtract from what the club can spend on the new player's on the SC as the contract settlement counts on the cap as spend on player's.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

To move player's on if they are in contract will cost a lot of money and subtract from what the club can spend on the new player's on the SC as the contract settlement counts on the cap as spend on player's.

Apologies I wasn't clear, there's a fair number out of contract at the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's been my take on the games I've seen with Leeds as well. 

I don't look at that team and see one that's got a particular issue with work ethic, effort or their defence, but one that has a real lack of attacking cohesion and execution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't look at that team and see one that's got a particular issue with work ethic, effort or their defence, but one that has a real lack of attacking cohesion and execution. 

Just goes to show how astute Ricky Stuart was in moving Sezer and Austin on from Canberra - when they were in their prime!

Was it Agar who was responsible for them going to Leeds or was it someone who is still a high ranking officer at the club, or someone now departed and employed in t'other code? I honestly don't know the answer but whoever made the decision to take them to Leeds is the one responsible for Leeds poor form this season.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Just goes to show how astute Ricky Stuart was in moving Sezer and Austin on from Canberra - when they were in their prime!

Was it Agar who was responsible for them going to Leeds or was it someone who is still a high ranking officer at the club, or someone now departed and employed in t'other code? I honestly don't know the answer but whoever made the decision to take them to Leeds is the one responsible for Leeds poor form this season.

Tbf, Sezer and Austin have barely played together and we looked so much better going forward at the start of the year with Myler at FB. Hopefully that will return with him.

Moreover, having Newman and Fusitua was a real bonus. We had it for 1 half against Wakefield and it was a walkover.

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Most likely a combination of Sinfield and Hetherington with Agar agreeing. There's not much reason to doubt any of their abilities to judge a player, particularly Hetherington's.

To be fair to Sezer he hasn't played much anyway to form a clear opinion. In any event I think what makes good players not perform well is much more complex than you are suggesting.

Maybe with a bit more friction they would drop the ball a bit less.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

Most likely a combination of Sinfield and Hetherington with Agar agreeing. There's not much reason to doubt any of their abilities to judge a player, particularly Hetherington's.

To be fair to Sezer he hasn't played much anyway to form a clear opinion. In any event I think what makes good players not perform well is much more complex than you are suggesting.

All I suggested MjM is that Ricky Stuart must have seen a good reason to let them go from Canberra.

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Yeah exactly I've never watched them this year and been disappointed with the effort, just frustrated with the lack of cutting edge.

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

All I suggested MjM is that Ricky Stuart must have seen a good reason to let them go from Canberra.

To some extent I agree, Sezer was never going to take Canberra to the next level (hence bringing in Williams) and Austin was too inconsistent. However, it could be argued that Stuart's decisions more recently have been disastrous. Since Bateman and Williams have gone, the Raiders have disintegrated.

You have to question Stuart's judgement if he thinks Fawley is going to take them forward..............he was woeful at the Giants and is far worse than Sezer

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

To some extent I agree, Sezer was never going to take Canberra to the next level (hence bringing in Williams) and Austin was too inconsistent. However, it could be argued that Stuart's decisions more recently have been disastrous. Since Bateman and Williams have gone, the Raiders have disintegrated.

You have to question Stuart's judgement if he thinks Fawley is going to take them forward..............he was woeful at the Giants and is far worse than Sezer

Fairy Muff, so Stuart has himself gone backwards. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree in general that the attack is shall we say blunt... not helped by lack of speed or ability to break the line in anyone's legs with exception of Handley with regards speed and Sutcliffe whom is the only Leeds player able to regularly break a tackle and line - although no one tends to be on his shoulder...

I can't agree with the defence not being bad. Yep the Line defence is OK but teams make it too easier to Leeds last 20/40.   Too often not forcing teams to kick from deep and subsequently giving a good starting attacking position.

At Salford the edge (sorry to use that term but it seems to be the term nowadays together with middles).   Anyway the edge was too easily broken. Salford had a field day against Handley and Broadbent pairing and was clearly targeted.  I assume due to newness of playing together but their was a clear problem that led to making breaks and putting rest of defence under pressure leading to try's.

Edited by redjonn

25 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I agree in general that the attack is shall we say blunt... not helped by lack of speed or ability to break the line in anyone's legs with exception of Handley with regards speed and Sutcliffe whom is the only Leeds player able to regularly break a tackle and line - although no one tends to be on his shoulder...

I can't agree with the defence not being bad. Yep the Line defence is OK but teams make it too easier to Leeds last 20/40.   Too often not forcing teams to kick from deep and subsequently giving a good starting attacking position.

At Salford the edge (sorry to use that term but it seems to be the term nowadays together with middles).   Anyway the edge was too easily broken. Salford had a field day against Handley and Broadbent pairing and was clearly targeted.  I assume due to newness of playing together but their was a clear problem that led to making breaks and putting rest of defence under pressure leading to try's.

2 biggest aspects that Rohan Smith has to focus on are:

1: Line speed - our defensive line speed is poor/inconsistent compared with top teams

2: Support play - far too often we have 1-up plays which are easy to defend against. When we do pass the ball, we don't engage with the line often enough, and when we make the rare break, there is noone in support

Mike Meehall Wood did a great article on the importance of support play in NRL, and how it is often a key (and overlooked) determinant between the top and bottom teams in the ladder. I'll try and dig it out

• Like 2

This would be one of the first articles I'd show those simpletons who keep harping on about rugby league being a simple game where you just need to run and tackle hard. This deception is key and I bet Leeds Rhinos are at the bottom of the chart for this in SL

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What would you give for discussions like this with video evidence during games? It's the kind of stuff that would absolutely be focused on in US sport. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Surely the same can be said of any import

im not sure judging Sezers leeds career on a few games when he’s been injured is fair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think quite often it is lazy analysis to just equate under-performing to unhappiness in the camp. That is just one element of what can go wrong. 

We’ve also had half or more of the team out for most of the season.

we are severely lacking in the prop department and until that gets sorted we won’t be doing much.

• Like 1