Vote to reduce salary cap by Super League

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

The salary cap should be simply abolished many players are on ridiculously low wages already.

Paul

Whether there should be a salary cap or not is another discussion altogether but there certainly should not be any reductions to an already low cap. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is preposterous that it even got to a vote.

Aren't the current rules something like you only need the support of 1/4 of the clubs (3 teams) to bring something to a vote ?

Its almost certainly the same clubs every year bringing this to the table, the ones struggling financially

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

My understanding is that the SL minimum wage for a squad player is £15k per year (or £8p/h f/t equivalent).

UK Living wage recommendation is about £9.90 IIRC

Many of the young lads on that wage wont be on full time contracts

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Many of the young lads on that wage wont be on full time contracts

That's even worse. They are not being treated as full time professionals. When a SL club can't afford to have 30 players on full time contracts - and fill out the squad with £15k kids - then should they even be a SL club?

Those clubs that do this are now trying to stop inflation, trying to reduce salaries of players by bringing down the cap. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

I've posted this before but Maurice Lindsay was telling us 20 years ago what would happen with the way the salary cap was being implemented. 20 years on its only risen marginally and in addition to falling way behind RU we have now fallen way behind the NRL too. Substitute losing players to RU for the NRL. His talk about the less successful clubs is just as relevant today. 20 years of SL and the bigger clubs being held back:

Maurice Lindsay believes rugby league must abolish the salary cap to have any chance of keeping its best players.

The Wigan Warriors chairman can now expect another storm of protest from within his own game. Only last month he won an exemption from the £1.8million limit introduced for next season.

Wigan, who spent £3.2m on players' salaries last year, said they could not get below £2.3m for next year because of existing contracts.

So the Super League clubs voted 10-2 in favour of allowing Wigan a £2.3m ceiling in 2002 provided they reduced the figure to £1.8m in 2003.

Now former Super League and RFL supremo Lindsay wants the salary cap abolished altogether to aid league's fight in the 'poaching war' against rugby union.

'We are fighting rugby union who are trying to sign the backbone of our Great Britain side,' said Lindsay last night.

'With the salary cap in place, it is like fighting with both arms tied behind your back. We should revise our thinking in the light of the considerable offers being made to our players.

'I am currently trying to keep top British players at Wigan - players who have been approached by both the RFU and one of its clubs.'

'I understand the desire of some less successful clubs to find a method to enable them to compete in Super League but a rule already exists that prevents a club from employing more than 20 players earning over £20,000-a-year. That in itself is a levelling factor.

'Our fans want our best players to stay in rugby league and for David Waite to put out a strong international side against Australia and New Zealand.

'It won't happen unless the RFL look at the salary cap situation immediately. There isn't time to wait for a strategic review.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-62746/Lindsay-calls-end-salary-capping.html

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure we need to be outraged about something that didn't get voted in. 

Are you new to the internet Dave?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure we need to be outraged about something that didn't get voted in. 

I am settling for being loudly concerned.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It did not happen or will it happen, move on.

More worried that SL does not pay at least the living wage to its staff.

I know that vote won't have been SRD as they have rarely spent the full cap anyway, which makes me think why ask for a reduction when you can just not spend and that it therefore must one of the "Big Boys" clearly cost cutting.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That's even worse. They are not being treated as full time professionals. When a SL club can't afford to have 30 players on full time contracts - and fill out the squad with £15k kids - then should they even be a SL club?

Those clubs that do this are now trying to stop inflation, trying to reduce salaries of players by bringing down the cap. Pretty sad state of affairs.

We can't just make up thresholds that we think are fair - clubs are not exactly raking the money in and hiving it off for profits. We can only afford what we can afford. 

Minimum wage for an 18-20year old is currently around £12.8k for a 36hr shift.

I think it's right that we make sure we focus on this group, to make sure we stay ahead of minimum wage and not just put any increases at the top end - but we are a sport with modest incomes. Until we drive more income, that will remain the case.

Just now, idrewthehaggis said:

I know that vote won't have been SRD as they have rarely spent the full cap anyway, which makes me think why ask for a reduction when you can just not spend and that it therefore must one of the "Big Boys" clearly cost cutting.

As you say, clubs don't have to pay the full cap so the big clubs won't need to vote on a reduction just to pay less.

Wouldn't this more likely come from the clubs who aren't spending the cap looking to bring the bigger spenders down?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I am settling for being loudly concerned.

I think it is a reasonable way for the governance to work. Ultimately there was a large haircut on central funding - I think it's natural that the question is asked - personally I'm pleased it's been put to bed, but then I'm not paying the bills.

It is true we shouldn't be getting too het up about a change that isn't happening, but the fact that even one club thought reducing player wages in a period of 9% inflation was the way forward should be a source of worry and tells us where we are up to.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It is true we shouldn't be getting too het up about a change that isn't happening, but the fact that even one club thought reducing player wages in a period of 9% inflation was the way forward should be a source of worry and tells us where we are up to.

Exactly, it's a useful barometer for where we are.

I don't mean barometer but can't think of the right word.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Let clubs find their level via 2 x 10's. We currently have Turkeys voting for Christmas when a whole game reality is required based upon generating income to grow not grabbing what you can to survive. We have Leeds, Catalans, Hull, Saints, Wire and Wigan - the rest are no better or worse than Fax, Bradford, Fev Leigh, Widnes and possibly Newcastle/York given 10 years without funding.

Stop levelling at the bottom, get rid of the cap and create a structure that the ambitious can rise quickly through

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1