Doncaster City

Anita Bath

Super league games are holding a minute of applause for Maurice Lindsay’s passing. I expect instructions will have been passed down the championship and league 1 to do same.

Given the harm he did to the game (essentially deciding whats good for wigan must be good for everyone) i think the best response is not to have a minutes applause but to have a minutes silence. For the teams outside superleague there is nothing to applaud in what he did to rugby league.

• Like 3

Hornets 20-16 ahead at ht.   After conceding a Donny try 9mins in, we made Donny pay for a yellow card, but then conceded a try/conversion just before the hooter.  We seem to have missed some opportunities - and have now conceded another 12 points after 51mins!  Not good- our defence seems to be getting worse!  Thankfully, we narrow it to 26-28. 

And since we have been in great attacking mode with better defence and leading 46-28 with 1min to go.  46 -28 final score...great and important win but I guess still a few questions.

Edited by glemiln

For roughly 65 minutes that was a really tough old game. Doncaster hadn’t just come to make up the numbers and they were obviously up for it right from the off. They started much faster than us in both halves. I’m wondering why we always have to let the opposition score first ?

First half we eventually woke up and got back in front only to let them score right on the hooter. We seem to be making a habit of that as well. Previously they’d been down to 12 for ten minutes when one of their guys kneed a Hornets player in the head at the play the ball. Luckily for us the near side touch judge saw the incident because they’d actually scored right after it. 

After half time they got a grip of the game and scored two converted tries and Hornets were looking shell shocked. We weren’t at the races at all. Then all of a sudden we clicked. Rangi started pulling the strings and we started running straight and hard. The tries began flowing then and for a 15 minute spell we just kept scoring and Donny could hardly get their hands on the ball. After that the game was finished and we played it out comfortably.

Rangi got MOM , rightfully I think. Jay Hitchcock got a hat trick of tries, one an unbelievably acrobatic dive into the corner. Cobi Green came on and looked  a handful again, scoring a very good try at a critical time. We need to hold on to this lad, he’s going to be a good ‘un.

I felt sorry for Donny at the end, the score flattered us and they never gave up. They’ll win more than they lose. We just had a little bit more class in the end.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For roughly 65 minutes that was a really tough old game. Doncaster hadn’t just come to make up the numbers and they were obviously up for it right from the off. They started much faster than us in both halves. I’m wondering why we always have to let the opposition score first ?

First half we eventually woke up and got back in front only to let them score right on the hooter. We seem to be making a habit of that as well. Previously they’d been down to 12 for ten minutes when one of their guys kneed a Hornets player in the head at the play the ball. Luckily for us the near side touch judge saw the incident because they’d actually scored right after it. 

After half time they got a grip of the game and scored two converted tries and Hornets were looking shell shocked. We weren’t at the races at all. Then all of a sudden we clicked. Rangi started pulling the strings and we started running straight and hard. The tries began flowing then and for a 15 minute spell we just kept scoring and Donny could hardly get their hands on the ball. After that the game was finished and we played it out comfortably.

Rangi got MOM , rightfully I think. Jay Hitchcock got a hat trick of tries, one an unbelievably acrobatic dive into the corner. Cobi Green came on and looked  a handful again, scoring a very good try at a critical time. We need to hold on to this lad, he’s going to be a good ‘un.

I felt sorry for Donny at the end, the score flattered us and they never gave up. They’ll win more than they lose. We just had a little bit more class in the end.

See we have the usual weekend of the disappearing players....in this weeks cast we have in order of non appearance..Callum Marriott,  Dan Nixon , Penky, Tom Ashton , I appreciate there will be reasons but just let the fans know on the official club website why these players are missing. It surely cant be that hard to do.

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

See we have the usual weekend of the disappearing players....in this weeks cast we have in order of non appearance..Callum Marriott,  Dan Nixon , Penky, Tom Ashton , I appreciate there will be reasons but just let the fans know on the official club website why these players are missing. It surely cant be that hard to do.

Good idea. !!!!!!  Let the opposition know in advance what the line up is !

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

I don’t know about the other 3 but I would have thought  Penky would have been in if he wasn’t injured. We missed him at times today.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t know about the other 3 but I would have thought  Penky would have been in if he wasn’t injured. We missed him at times today.

Penky's 40th  birthday this weekend and given the weekend off. He was there watching. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

. Jay Hitchcock got a hat trick of tries, one an unbelievably acrobatic dive into the corner

Amazing try. I hope they caught it on Video.

• Like 1

Thought we played well today, Doncaster had a good spell in the first 10 minutes of each half but after that we took control and were too much for them with ball in hand.  Paul Brearley for me was a stand out player, made good yards after contact and did some nice offloads. Rangi Chase also made some nice passes but a lot ended up on the ground, i don't know if we are not adjusting to him or him to us but his passes didn't seem to be as effective as i thought they would be.

One thing i didn't like was how many times Doncaster were able to push us back after the tackle, we didn't seem to help out guys as they lost meters. But we didn't engage in any of the spoiling tactics that Doncaster seemed to employ, the knee that resulted in the yellow card didn't blow up into something more and that was impressive.  

28 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Thought we played well today, Doncaster had a good spell in the first 10 minutes of each half but after that we took control and were too much for them with ball in hand.  Paul Brearley for me was a stand out player, made good yards after contact and did some nice offloads. Rangi Chase also made some nice passes but a lot ended up on the ground, i don't know if we are not adjusting to him or him to us but his passes didn't seem to be as effective as i thought they would be.

One thing i didn't like was how many times Doncaster were able to push us back after the tackle, we didn't seem to help out guys as they lost meters. But we didn't engage in any of the spoiling tactics that Doncaster seemed to employ, the knee that resulted in the yellow card didn't blow up into something more and that was impressive.  

I agree about Brearley having a good game, that was the best he’s played for a while. His height makes him a handful with the ball in hand. Rangi had a few wild passes but he was instrumental in Hornets getting on top in that spell in the second half. I don’t think many people saw the knee in the face, most of the players would have been watching the ball. I saw it though.

Sheridan took some poor passes in the game one handed and made it look easy. Hands like superglue.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree about Brearley having a good game, that was the best he’s played for a while. His height makes him a handful with the ball in hand. Rangi had a few wild passes but he was instrumental in Hornets getting on top in that spell in the second half. I don’t think many people saw the knee in the face, most of the players would have been watching the ball. I saw it though.

Sheridan took some poor passes in the game one handed and made it look easy. Hands like superglue.

I'm not saying it's his fault, i think we're probably not quick enough yet. Rangi is probably the most gifted player in the league on his day and is doing things that some of the squad aren't ready for. Hopefully as the season progresses the team will become more jelled and those offloads work, as we could have had two more tries. 

• Like 1

The two week break comes at good time before our tough and crucial 4 away fixtures (back home 31/7!). The first of these is at Swinton 12/6 (16.30 k/o), but Oldham may exhaust them the previous week!  Until then, plenty of time to sort any problems and clarify to supporters the future of the recent (two week?) signings.  Also, the rotation of all players will be crucial to enable us to be at least in the top 4 come 31/7 and the run-in.  Good win in the end yesterday.

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

The two week break comes at good time before our tough and crucial 4 away fixtures (back home 31/7!). The first of these is at Swinton 12/6 (16.30 k/o), but Oldham may exhaust them the previous week!  Until then, plenty of time to sort any problems and clarify to supporters the future of the recent (two week?) signings.  Also, the rotation of all players will be crucial to enable us to be at least in the top 4 come 31/7 and the run-in.  Good win in the end yesterday.

Looking at the pitch yesterday it was in great condition. What work is being done that entails us being away for vast amounts of time. Every year we come back we’ve had a hard time on the road, we’ve slipped down the league a bit and 20-25 fans have found something else better to do in summer.

On 25/05/2022 at 13:48, Anita Bath said:

Anyone know the official attendance for the Doncaster game?

The attendance is not shown in the link below, those of Hornets’ home games are missing after the Hunslet game in round 3!?  Keighley and Cornwall are leading the numbers, but with under 4000 total in any 5 game round so far (Skolars c.180/game) it’s not a great picture.  A game round for the Championship is around 13000 - 15000.

Yhttps://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwidnI76mv_3AhWOS8AKHeKXBjcQFnoECA8QAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F2022_RFL_League_1_results&usg=AOvVaw2ngF8L8EjZdooBJOX0ruFn

18 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Not a good advert for the game, or the club when they don’t announce the the attendance.

No explanation as usual. We are left to speculate what it was and why it hasn’t been announced.

Cheer up ! Life's too short !

I am sure  that the management team have a solid and professional reason for the non disclosure, Sometimes its not in the clubs interest to put everything out in the media ! The clubs communications are amongst the best in the league.  Enjoy your rugby, . Hornets 3rd in league, Challenge cup final today,  AB sundecks final as well ( in which Hornets may be competing for next year  if the rest of the season goes well 😍

1 hour ago, Excolt 1 said:

Let’s hope Oldham bounce back against Swinton. They got the short straw playing London Sk away on a Friday night but didn’t think they would get hammered .The break will do Hornets the power of good . 

Yes, they are trying hard but not a lot going for them. Hopefully they can take something out of Swinton's  tank for the week after !

On 28/05/2022 at 16:54, Joe 90 said:

Cheer up ! Life's too short !

I am sure  that the management team have a solid and professional reason for the non disclosure, Sometimes its not in the clubs interest to put everything out in the media ! The clubs communications are amongst the best in the league.  Enjoy your rugby, . Hornets 3rd in league, Challenge cup final today,  AB sundecks final as well ( in which Hornets may be competing for next year  if the rest of the season goes well 😍

Reported on Dale board as 354. Same game last season, when we were struggling to beat an egg,  was 882. I expect there are ‘solid and professional’ reasons behind this. But the remaining fans will no doubt be kept in the dark what they are.

From how I see it the Dale Chairman/ Board are upsetting quite a few people Hornets seem to be one of their targets. They promote themselves as a family club . We are part of that family for the next 17 years like it or not.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Excolt 1 said:

From how I see it the Dale Chairman/ Board are upsetting quite a few people Hornets seem to be one of their targets. They promote themselves as a family club . We are part of that family for the next 17 years like it or not.

I don’t think they like it.

• Like 2

Sadly it would appear that this is affecting our attendances as we can no longer sit in our preferred seats.

That, of course, does not help Hornets but in some ways it’s not good for the Dale.

I don’t expect this excellent board of ours that we have to air the dirty linen in public and I’m sure all will be revealed in due course.

It’s very frustrating for the fans in the meanwhile.

• Like 1

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?