Tottenham Hotspur Pitch

36 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Seen as the challenge cup final is at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium I thought this would be of interest.

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/how-tottenham-stadium-moves-its-massive-9000-tonne-pitch-richard-hammond-s-big.html
I wonder if they will change the pitch next week?

To what ? 

Although I have heard they're going to lift one end up for the 1895 final , the groundsman a ' capper ' apparently 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

The pitch is already set. The pitch looks small on this photo and the in goals look shallow which surprises me as I thought this was built with other sports in mind:

It is , NFL 

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

The pitch is already set. The pitch looks small on this photo and the in goals look shallow which surprises me as I thought this was built with other sports in mind:

Just to help you - in that photo the pitch is Far Away!!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Just to help you - in that photo the pitch is Far Away!!

Thanks Father Ted! 😁

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

These soccer stadiums can be quite dangerous and inhibiting with their shallow in-goals and minimal run-offs.

I remember Manu Vatuvei injuring himself in the 2013 WC final jumping to bat a ball back and falling into the drainage run-offs at Old Trafford.

Hope no players are injured next weekend due to the soccer stadium limitations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It's probably so short because they've been lazy and simply put the dead ball lines where the soccer goal lines are instead of using the rest of the space available, and the RFL with their caps-doffed-for-their-betters way of doing things probably didn't expect or ask for better.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It is , NFL 

As you can see in this footage from 2019, the stadium certainly has room for a full-length RL field.  The NFL end lines are 2 yards wide and the broken yellow lines behind them are a further 2 yards back, making them 128 yards or 117 metres apart.  If the dead ball lines were simply put where the broken yellow lines are they'd be 117 metres apart which although it's not perfect (that would be 120 metres apart) would still be a lot better than the half-assed way they've set things up.

8 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It's probably so short because they've been lazy and simply put the dead ball lines where the soccer goal lines are instead of using the rest of the space available, and the RFL with their caps-doffed-for-their-betters way of doing things probably didn't expect or ask for better.

I can't see any more space available in the picture.  Unless you mean putting the dead ball line even closer to the fences which would make it even more precarious for the players.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe the stadium itself, will encourage the fans to stay even if the game isn't going their way?

It looks great.

Edited by fighting irish

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

As you can see in this footage from 2019, the stadium certainly has room for a full-length RL field.  The NFL end lines are 2 yards wide and the broken yellow lines behind them are a further 2 yards back, making them 128 yards or 117 metres apart.  If the dead ball lines were simply put where the broken yellow lines are they'd be 117 metres apart which although it's not perfect (that would be 120 metres apart) would still be a lot better than the half-assed way they've set things up.

You are ignoring the fact that they are not playing on the NFL pitch. That pitch is underneath the field we play on, which has steep run-offs like Old Trafford, so the dimensions are different. The NFL pitch is lower and I believe flat so doesn't have the limits of the drops. 

The pitch setup looks very similar to the RU one there a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You are ignoring the fact that they are not playing on the NFL pitch. That pitch is underneath the field we play on, which has steep run-offs like Old Trafford, so the dimensions are different. The NFL pitch is lower and I believe flat so doesn't have the limits of the drops. 

The pitch setup looks very similar to the RU one there a couple of months ago. 

In fact it's different from the RU setup which you can see in these highlights.  The space behind the deal ball lines looks flat so they could be furhter back and the field (which I measured from with the video paused at the 6 second mark) was a full 100 metres long.

The way they laid things out for the CC Final is a definite case of RL making do instead of being treated equally.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In fact it's different from the RU setup which you can see in these highlights.  The space behind the deal ball lines looks flat so they could be furhter back and the field (which I measured from with the video paused at the 6 second mark) was a full 100 metres long.

The way they laid things out for the CC Final is a definite case of RL making do instead of being treated equally.

You're just wrong again. 

saracens-bears-26mar-14_edit_344239357003722.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

To what ? 

Although I have heard they're going to lift one end up for the 1895 final , the groundsman a ' capper ' apparently 

To balance it out, every railway station in a 10 mile radius is going to be closed. 😜

• Haha 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Maybe the stadium itself, will encourage the fans to stay even if the game isn't going their way?

It looks great.

I hope so. As a Fev fan, I'd love to be there. Unfortunately as it clashes with my first time for the TT in the IOM since 2008, I'll be catching the score via social media. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You're just wrong again. 

That is certainly not how it looks on the video.  Even so that's a full 100-metre field of play even if the goal areas are a bit too shallow.  There's no reason why RL should have to make do with less than they did for RU, is there?

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That is certainly not how it looks on the video.  Even so that's a full 100-metre field of play even if the goal areas are a bit too shallow.  There's no reason why RL should have to make do with less than they did for RU, is there?

How do you know that is 100m?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

You're just wrong again. 

Those run-off beyond the in-goal look perilous for RL in particular.

I can imagine the dangers of a cross-field kick bat-back or a tackle in the in-goal.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How do you know that is 100m?

By the simple means of measuring and doing some math.  At the 6 second mark in the highlight video you can see most of the field.  With the video paused at that point I measured the distance from the one goal line to the kickoff line and the distance from that goal line to the 22-metre line and calculated the ratio of the two measurements which was equal to 50 divided by 22.  Therefore, each half is 50 metres and the whole field is 100 metres.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

You're just wrong again. 

I can imagine a few RU lads being properly annoyed that the in-goal areas there don't appear to have their own postcode.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

By the simple means of measuring and doing some math.  At the 6 second mark in the highlight video you can see most of the field.  With the video paused at that point I measured the distance from the one goal line to the kickoff line and the distance from that goal line to the 22-metre line and calculated the ratio of the two measurements which was equal to 50 divided by 22.  Therefore, each half is 50 metres and the whole field is 100 metres.

No offence intended but you are getting dragged down into an awful lot of irrelevant detail here.

I think you need to take a step back and look at the big picture. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

To what ? 

Good job Batley arnt there then lol.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

These soccer stadiums can be quite dangerous and inhibiting with their shallow in-goals and minimal run-offs.

I remember Manu Vatuvei injuring himself in the 2013 WC final jumping to bat a ball back and falling into the drainage run-offs at Old Trafford.

Hope no players are injured next weekend due to the soccer stadium limitations.

You do realise about 5 or 6 or so RL clubs play on or share Football (Soccer? - we arnt American) pitches dont you. Hull, Wigan, York, Donny  etc - never a massive problem for 100s of games - there was an incident at Wigan a few years ago when a player crashed over the end advertising hording though as he was running full pase over the goal line.

The pitch at WHL is a much bigger area than OT. Also we have had all those Grand Finals at OT and while the pitch is short its never been a major issue- just need a few padded areas next to the hording and its as safe as it can be.

Crazy how RL takes a final to what is currently called the best stadium in the world and we still find fault. I, for one can't wait until next Saturday and I'm a neutral supporter.

• Like 2