Helen Skelton Part II

49 minutes ago, frank said:

It went late last night. I was reading page one, when I clicked on page two it was gone. Maybe someone posted something abusive.

There were, quite rightly, lots of plaudits for Helen's work on Channel 4 so it was always on borrowed time.

• Haha 4

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, The storm said:

Its the part where people start slagging of her ex partner. 

So this will be gone shortly also

If you believe that you've already lit the blue touch paper.

What I like best about TOO Helen Skelton is her enthusiasm and  positivity as that's refreshing in the world of TGG depression.

Of course over sensitivty is a problem too.

• Like 1

Seems chivalry is dead.

I watched the game yesterday and thought the coverage was great. A breath of fresh air.

If I can suggest a small change, it's that the commentators not talk so much, (or so fast), oh and a little less jargon.

It's as though they are trying to cram in as many words per minute as possible.

Reminds me of my time on the typing tutor.

Perhaps they've been advised by Jamie Jones-Buchanan to ''get out of the blocks'' as quickly as possible. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

oh and a little less jargon.

This has become a real annoyance for me too, almost as much as closing down threads about the wonderful  TOO Helen Skelton.

There is far too much coach type explanation in commentary and punditry and an excessive amoung of phrases like for our viewers at home. I sometimes wonder if they're in the pay of kick & clap to put people off. How are statements like "they won the floor" supposed to help or even more importantly excite the watching public?

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

This has become a real annoyance for me too, almost as much as closing down threads about the wonderful  TOO Helen Skelton.

There is far too much coach type explanation in commentary and punditry and an excessive amoung of phrases like for our viewers at home. I sometimes wonder if they're in the pay of kick & clap to put people off. How are statements like "they won the floor" supposed to help or even more importantly excite the watching public?

I can't agree with this.  One of the criticisms of Rugby League is that it is 'too simple'... a view that a lot of League fans and pundits seem happy to perpetuate despite the detailed tactical analysis that some coaches and pundits show when given a chance.

There is nothing wrong with pundits explaining to newcomers to the sport why factors such as a quick play the ball (winning the floor) is an important aspect in winning a game of Rugby League. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can't agree with this.  One of the criticisms of Rugby League is that it is 'too simple'... a view that a lot of League fans and pundits seem happy to perpetuate despite the detailed tactical analysis that some coaches and pundits show when given a chance.

There is nothing wrong with pundits explaining to newcomers to the sport why factors such as a quick play the ball (winning the floor) is an important aspect in winning a game of Rugby League. 

I agree with the idea that pundits explain the games rules, tactics and nuances, but I'm just asking that they use English.

How is the hapless newcomer to interpret  ''winning the floor'' without someone to decipher it?

I've been involved in this game all my life and I don't know what it means.

Surely Mr. Amor, could explain that ''the quicker the ball is played the more advantageous it is to the attacking team''. Or some other comment designed to elucidate rather than obfuscate.

''Winning the floor'' and ''Getting out of the blocks'' and ''back in the sheds'' and the hundred other esoteric bits of jargon, in constant use, don't explain anything to the uninitiated and (I believe) is off-putting.

It implies too, that their own vocabulary is limited to the contents of a cheap self-help lexicon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Where did Part I go? 😂

In the bin.

It was just another desperate attempt to start a discussion about her private life while dressing it up as praise for her as a broadcaster.

If you'd stuck to the latter part of the above, it would still be on here, but you didn't, and others inevitably followed suit.

I know it is a difficult concept for some folk to get their head around on here that TRL is not like the rest of the interweb where you can post whatever you like about whoever you like, passing comment on someone else's private life while lurking behind a pseudonym, but that's the way it is.

If you want to discuss someone's private life, find somewhere else to do it. You won't be short of options online (sadly).

If you want to (genuinely) discuss someone's professional abilities, go right ahead.

• Like 13