Commentators

39 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Secondly, there appears to be a morbid fear of silence in game.

I think this is a great point . Amor is good but as the game went it was a bit grating that he was rabbiting on endlessly , Wilkin was the same . It seems commentators in sport now think they have to talk endlessly , even describing everything you can see for yourself . Richie Benaud said words should compliment pictures and if theres nothing to say say nothing .

• Like 2

The thing which annoys me about Sky’s coverage as much as the inane waffling by Barry and Terry is the insistence on showing extended close ups of the coaches and slow mo replays when the game is in motion. For me, they should be showing what the spectators at the ground would be watching, and that certainly isn’t the coaches.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

For me, #sky's fundamental issue is twofold. Primarily, there are too many people in the commentary box. One commentating, one analysing is more than enough. Secondly, there appears to be a morbid fear of silence in game. If nothing is happening, don't fill the time with cliches and soundbites. 

Yes. 

On TV we need to understand who's got the ball, with an occasional bit of context and an occasional bit of analysis. We don't need a wall of sound or to hear Barrie and Terry overhyping some kid whose dad they used to play alongside. Bill fails on the 'who's got the ball's criterion (but this doesnt mean he is a racist FFS).

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 hours ago, DavidM said:

For a top organisation like Sky who like to see themselves at the cutting edge of all things broadcasting I’ve never ceased to be amazed how utterly rubbish their commentary and presentation of the game is . It just looks poor having three guys on who are literally embarrassing 

And I think for a good reason, do you think Sky are really bothered about RL? 

Now as much as ever with the American owners I honestly believe it will be phased out in the not to distant future or the offer will be drastically reduced even further than the £25M a year as it is now, if Sky really wanted to sell our game would they put as you describe 'how utterly rubbish their commentary and presentation of the game is' seemingly going for cut price solutions at every opportunity.

Our sport has been too reliant on what it recieves from Sky for 27 years now, I believe there is going to be a rude awakening around the corner.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

I tend to go with those here that say "less is more". Why do I need someone - I am watching it for fecks sake and yes radio is different - but why do I need an "expert" to tell me that x passed to y.

I sense the summarisers feel the need to earn their gig and fill every silence. Perhaps there is a feeling if they are too quiet then the producers will callin someone "more interesting" - meaning someone with more waffle.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, stevecl said:

I sense the summarisers feel the need to earn their gig and fill every silence. Perhaps there is a feeling if they are too quiet then the producers will callin someone "more interesting" - meaning someone with more waffle.

Absolutely.

Same with Martin Tyler commentating on football. They drone on and on about not much in particular,you stop listening after a while.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And I think for a good reason, do you think Sky are really bothered about RL? 

I think they were bothered yes but somehow it has lost it's way on the channel, too many competing calls on the purse maybe.

I grew up in the "other code" but back when I started watching Big League on Sky, the coverage was streets ahead of anything the RU coverage could offer. I guess then the latter was probablty confined to BBC with the World Cup on ITV.

• Like 1

Damn, clicked "submit" too soon. What I mean to say - and it was not a code comparison

think they were bothered yes but somehow it has lost it's way on the channel, too many competing calls on the purse maybe.

I grew up in the "other code" but back when I started watching Big League on Sky, the coverage was streets ahead of anything the RU coverage could offer. I guess then the latter was probablty confined to BBC with the World Cup on ITV.

I think they saw it as a vehicle for those Friday evenings and put a lot of effort into a decent production team and it worked. A lot of guys I played with at the time were watching the "other game" and commenting favourably on it.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 14:08, StandOffHalf said:

Wilson, Amor and Brown are good on Premier and C4- although I think they perhaps have a tendency to describe things as ''great'' too often.

Definitely my favourite team on British TV at the moment.

I quite like Ben Proe and think he should be Sky's main caller. I struggle to see Bill Arthur as a lead commentator and amn't all that keen on Stuart Pyke.

This can't be a serious post?

Really???

• Haha 1

I like Mark Wilson and Matt Newsum, i think they describe the action as good as is possible and they tend to stay on script and their voices have interest and passion in them.

I don't particularly like any of the Sky lot, they ALL talk way too much and usually off subject too, sometimes they only break off their rabbiting to announce a try or something.

Agree with the shot of the coaches - WHY? why do TV producers think we want to see coaches sat motionless in their boxes everytime one of their players drops a ball or flings a pass into touch? the coaches are clearly unmoved by it but they insist we need to see them...doing nothing, stop it for god sake it's bloody annoying.

Kyle Amor is also starting to annoy me a bit too now, he's getting like the Sky muppets and just rabbiting aimlessy most of the time, summarisers should only be heard when the commentator calls on them to offer thoughts.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Really???

Not sure who is the worst between Pwoe and Pyke, they are both, in my opinion, hard to listen to and incoherent most of the time.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Really???

Yes, I really enjoyed his commentary on the Hull derby last year. I think he isn't heard in the best light because he often does the Catalans games from a screen. I prefer a northern voice for English rugby league.

Pyke has a bit of garbled voice and Arthur doesn't convey the excitement. Out of those three, I certainly favour Proe.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yes, I really enjoyed his commentary on the Hull derby last year. I think he isn't heard in the best light because he often does the Catalans games from a screen. I prefer a northern voice for English rugby league.

Pyke has a bit of garbled voice and Arthur doesn't convey the excitement. Out of those three, I certainly favour Proe.

I would wager dollars to donuts that proe isn't a commentator of any type and is someone that sky wheeled out to do the championship  2 game on the multiple gf days. Cos Eddie n stevo couldn't be arsed.

He's awful, he's unsure and he's awful.

He's really bad. And it's even worse cos he's not involved in the boys club with baz n tez like bill is, he's sort of an afterthought 

Edited by Barry Badrinath
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I would wager dollars to donuts that proe isn't a commentator of any type and is someone that sky wheeled out to do the championship  2 game on the multiple gf days. Cos Eddie n stevo couldn't be arsed.

He's awful, he's unsure and he's awful.

He's really bad. And it's even worse cos he's not involved in the boys club with baz n tez like bill is, he's sort of an afterthought 

I don't share these sentiments.

One thing that I will agree on is that he could pull back from telling us about players' ages and upcoming birthdays, haha...

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

I don't share these sentiments.

One thing that I will agree on is that he could pull back from telling us about players' ages and upcoming birthdays, haha...

and what he did 'on this very ground' X number of years ago. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Especially if a dog turned up.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think this is a great point . Amor is good but as the game went it was a bit grating that he was rabbiting on endlessly , Wilkin was the same . It seems commentators in sport now think they have to talk endlessly , even describing everything you can see for yourself . Richie Benaud said words should compliment pictures and if theres nothing to say say nothing .

Amor is good and really enthusiastic but does tend to get too enthusiastic and waffle and soundbite a bit though, otherwise he's pretty good, comes across as a really nice bloke too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

Not sure who is the worst between Pwoe and Pyke, they are both, in my opinion, hard to listen to and incoherent most of the time.

I don't actually mind Proe, his commentary is usually alright but he tries too hard i think sometimes to sound passionate and excited, I think he'd be alright with just a co commentator without the other lot butting in all the time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like Eddie Waring and Ray French?

Actually I listened to Ray French a few years ago when I was driving so couldn't watch a match.  Having got used to the current style for the last 20 years or so, it was really refreshing to hear how focused he was on the action.  Even though he was one of the commentators when I first got into the game.

• Like 1