https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2022/05/23/farnworth-extends-with-broncos/

Also ,

Farnworth is yet to debut for England, having being left out of a training squad last year, but he told League Express in March that he was hopeful of playing in this year’s delayed World Cup.

“I was left out but I have lifted my game since then,” he said. “There was a breakdown at my end but I have spoken to (England coach) Shaun Wane since then and I think we have sorted things out now. Both of us are really keen for this World Cup.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Also ,

Farnworth is yet to debut for England, having being left out of a training squad last year, but he told League Express in March that he was hopeful of playing in this year’s delayed World Cup.

“I was left out but I have lifted my game since then,” he said. “There was a breakdown at my end but I have spoken to (England coach) Shaun Wane since then and I think we have sorted things out now. Both of us are really keen for this World Cup.”

Shoo in starter. 

Edited by Scubby

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Also ,

Glad to see him sticking with the improving Broncos & not chasing the money with the Dolphins who will get plenty of hidings next year,he is England’s premier centre & we need him fit & firing for the WC.

• Like 1

Just now, Davo5 said:

Glad to see him sticking with the improving Broncos & not chasing the money with the Dolphins who will get plenty of hidings next year,he is England’s premier centre & we need him fit & firing for the WC.

He has only signed for 12 months to be fair. Let's hope that is to allow salary cap juggling at the Broncos for 2024 and beyond.

39 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

he is England’s premier centre

Is he? I don't think he is the best centre at the Bronco's and way behind a lot of the other centre's in the NRL comp from player's of differing nationalities.

But if that is your opinion so be it, I think that it just shows how devoid and short we are in this position, if you consider Herbie is our best.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is he? I don't think he is the best centre at the Bronco's and way behind a lot of the other centre's in the NRL comp from player's of differing nationalities.

But if that is your opinion so be it, I think that it just shows how devoid and short we are in this position, if you consider Herbie is our best.

He’s easily been the Broncos most consistent outside back this year.

Who are all these centre’s ahead of him ?

If he was born in Qld he’d be in contention for Origin  & I have no worries about him coming up against anything the Southern Hemisphere teams will bring.

Edited by Davo5
  • Like 4

jeez I read the topic thread as if he had just quit the Broncos! Hyphens are important!

Also was waiting to see who he was talking to about England but that was of much less importance (also I'm not in the position to be the grammar police on things like that but the first bit shocked me!)

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That first point is not really a logical argument Harry.  Farnworth can be the second best centre at the Broncos and still be England's best... the two things are not mutually exclusive.

At the moment, I think Farnworth is the best option we have in centre.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think he is a long way behind other centres in the NRL. Its a long time since we have had size and presence in the centre, you are probably going back to Keith Senior who was more limited than Farnworth in terms of his all round game. Farnworth has that and speed too. For me he has to be a shoe in compared to our much smaller alternatives like Gildart, Percival etc. Its Farnworth plus one of the rest for me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That first point is not really a logical argument Harry.  Farnworth can be the second best centre at the Broncos and still be England's best... the two things are not mutually exclusive.

At the moment, I think Farnworth is the best option we have in centre.

He is a definate starter for england and Dom Young is not that far off either

Id pick both of em

Youngs defence has improved significantly

Id also have Jack Welsby in there at full back 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who do you consider to be our best centre? This comment suggests you disagree but is also giving two good reasons why what they are saying is probably true.

I've been trying to think of who our centres should be for the World Cup but there aren't many outstanding candidates. 

Just now, The storm said:

He is a definate starter for england and Dom Young is not that far off either

Id pick both of em

Youngs defence has improved significantly

Id also have Jack Welsby in there at full back 

I have said before on here that what we need in the England backs is size and athleticism as that is what we will be coming up against in the SH nations.

Farnworth is a starter for me if he is fit and in similar form to today.  Welsby is in the 17 man squad and could be a useful impact player/cover is (as I expect) Tomkins is captain and first choice full back.

If I were picking a team today I am not 100% on Young being in but he is very close.  If he has a good rest of the year then I would be very tempted - again he has the size and athleticism we need.

I am also hopeful that Harry Newman can find fitness and form for the Autumn as well.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have said before on here that what we need in the England backs is size and athleticism as that is what we will be coming up against in the SH nations.

Farnworth is a starter for me if he is fit and in similar form to today.  Welsby is in the 17 man squad and could be a useful impact player/cover is (as I expect) Tomkins is captain and first choice full back.

If I were picking a team today I am not 100% on Young being in but he is very close.  If he has a good rest of the year then I would be very tempted - again he has the size and athleticism we need.

I am also hopeful that Harry Newman can find fitness and form for the Autumn as well.

This World Cup feels a little too soon for England's young talent. Doesn't mean you don't pick them though if they are the best available. It feels like the 2000 WC which had so many young players in who would later become stars.

But 2025 with Dodd, Welsby, Pryce, Young, Farnworth, Wrench, KPP, Newman, Lewis etc. coming into their mid-20s is a pretty exciting prospect in the outside backs. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whos no debate better than Farnworth? Staggs/Crichton/Manu/Gagai and Olam I'd say. 

After that everyone is a debate. The NRL isn't full of world class out and out centres nowadays. For over a decade now if you're good enough to be an outstanding centre you usually get moved into 6 or full back to have more impact on the game. Pretty much everyone I've named has been touted to move to 6 or 1 with the exception of Olam. 

At Origin level the sides have moved players who don't regularly play centre to fill the jerseys for the past few years. Turbo, Latrell, Wighton, Gutho, Capewell to name a few. 

Herbie for me is in the top 10 NRL centres and will do an excellent job for England. He will hold his own against whoever the SH teams pick. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, RP London said:

jeez I read the topic thread as if he had just quit the Broncos! Hyphens are important!

Also was waiting to see who he was talking to about England but that was of much less importance (also I'm not in the position to be the grammar police on things like that but the first bit shocked me!)

Are you my old English teacher ?

PS I added a tag just for you 

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This World Cup feels a little too soon for England's young talent. Doesn't mean you don't pick them though if they are the best available. It feels like the 2000 WC which had so many young players in who would later become stars.

But 2025 with Dodd, Welsby, Pryce, Young, Farnworth, Wrench, KPP, Newman, Lewis etc. coming into their mid-20s is a pretty exciting prospect in the outside backs. 

I think it is a really simple equation.  You pick your best players.  If they are 35 or 18, if they are the best option, you pick them. 

This is what the Aussies have done really well over the years, they always pick the best players players and even today are talking about Selwyn Cobbo and Jeremiah Nanai (both 19) being picked for Queensland in State of Origin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are you my old English teacher ?

PS I added a tag just for you 

Dear God the world would be in a right mess if I was an English teacher!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes he is England’s premier centre . And you’re not comparing like for like . But even so he’s lost nothing against Staggs this season , he’s only woke up in recent weeks . And he’s not way behind other centres , his performances are among the top rank 

• Like 2

Its a shame Lewis Dodd is injured

In the forwards Alex Walmsley, cam match the aussies, but because its do long since we have played an international game we could get totally wiped out by the kangaroos, the kiwis, tonga and even samoa

There is some amazing talent in the NRL

Staggs has flashes of brilliance that few can match, but Herbie is much more consistent, reliable and busy. On top of those qualities, he has plenty of brilliance himself. Brisbane has one of the competition's best centre pairings. Herbie is a class act and like a lot of broncos, improving by the week. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I'd go Farnworth right centre and Welsby left. Farnworth is a natural right centre (right arm carry, right foot step) and as the more experienced centre would be on the side where there is more defensive work. Welsby is a natural left centre (left arm carry, left foot step), and then he is in the team to cover injuries to the spine positions without him using up an interchange spot (which we can't afford with a 9 on the bench also). 

I like Welsby at centre if Tomkins is full back. The kid just ouses class and competitiveness and needs to be in the side somewhere.

Edited by Scubby

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I'd go Farnworth right centre and Welsby left. Farnworth is a natural right centre (right arm carry, right foot step) and as the more experienced centre would be on the side where there is more defensive work. Welsby is a natural left centre (left arm carry, left foot step), and then he is in the team to cover injuries to the spine positions without him using up an interchange spot (which we can't afford with a 9 on the bench also). 

As Bateman isn't good enough to start at 2nd row won't he play Centre again?

Really need to persuade Roby to postpone retirement for just 2 months - key position and our best player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

Personally I think Farnworth looks more confident and comfortable in the left centre.  He may be right sided but he is strong stepping off both feet and if anything his left foot step is stronger which means that on the left side, if he doesn't have space to exploit on the outside he can step inside... you don't see that as much when he plays on the right.

If Newman were fit I would look at Farnworth left and Newman right.

• Like 1