Wane to meet Radley … Talks Walker and Hastings to

I've mentioned in the past that I think England would be silly not to seriously consider Hastings.

Have to be honest and say that picking Aussies who've developed in Oz and haven't played in SL seems the wrong way to go about things.

Hastings has played for GB and been in SL. I wouldn't be all that enthused to see Radley in an England 13 jumper in place of somebody like Knowles.

I'd much rather see someone like Mikey Lewis in a white shirt over Walker TBH.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can they ever get it right? 😕 

The England coach has further expressed interest in selecting in-form Tigers halfback Jackson Hastings for a British call-up.

Hastings qualifies for Three Lions selection via his English grandmother, and represented England on four occasions under Wayne Bennett’s leadership in 2019.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The England coach has further expressed interest in selecting in-form Tigers halfback Jackson Hastings for a British call-up.

Hastings qualifies for Three Lions selection via his English grandmother, and represented England on four occasions under Wayne Bennett’s leadership in 2019.

When you let 5 year olds pen a sports story.... its that great Australian educational system again.....

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's so simple, why can't they get it right.  The Australian born Hastings was called up to play for Britain by the Australian British coach.  Now that he has played for Britain he has to play for England and not Australia and so he is possibly being called up for England by the English coach - who happens to be English.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If true, seems like a bit of a change of tune from Wane. 

I reckon as the reality of the tournament draws closer, whatever principles he was following earlier will have to be set aside if someone as good as Radley puts his hand up. 

I look at it on a case-by-case basis and for Radley I think I'd grin and bear it too. 

Hastings of course is a no brainer, and I'd welcome him back after how he conducted himself during his stint here. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Almost seems as though they deliberately get it wrong...

Think on current form you have to pick Hastings, with Dodd’s injury. Not so sure on Walker but I’m struggling to think of many options. Wane played Knowles as a prop last year, though he was without the NRL contingent if memory serves. That said, he’s an excellent ball player so I wonder if he sees him as an option at prop with Radley possibly at 13.

35 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I reckon as the reality of the tournament draws closer, whatever principles he was following earlier will have to be set aside if someone as good as Radley puts his hand up. 

I look at it on a case-by-case basis and for Radley I think I'd grin and bear it too. 

Hastings of course is a no brainer, and I'd welcome him back after how he conducted himself during his stint here. 

Maybe he realises he needs everyone he can possibly get to strengthen his side against what we’re gonna be facing , particularly from the NRL where the standards , intensity and pace of play are so high and getting higher every year . The teams leading the way are better than ever . The competition in the WC will be hotter than any one we’ve seen before with stacks of talent who’ve been playing at the nearest level to what we’ll see  . Therefore the more from there  the better . I’d find it hard to argue with him if so .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I'm personally against born and bred Aussies who have played most of their career in the NRL playing for GB or any of the home nations. Home nations should develop their own players and not look for short cuts

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

I've always thought his comments were taken out of context by his critics though. He never closed the door on these players, just stated that they had to be outstanding and that if it was a coin toss he'd go with the English player. Personally speaking I dont think there is anything wrong with that 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't be all that enthused to see Radley in an England 13 jumper in place of somebody like Knowles.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

if he sees him as an option at prop with Radley possibly at 13.

I don't watch much NRL but could Radley play as an 11 or 12 to accommodate Knowles?

Radley is very much an Adrian Morley type - when hes good hes great but when hes bad (disipline wise) hes bad - maybe test games may show more lenience towards these types of players - its that long since i saw a test game its hard to know 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

38 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm personally against born and bred Aussies who have played most of their career in the NRL playing for GB or any of the home nations. Home nations should develop their own players and not look for short cuts

It all smacks of desperation and raising the White Flag on Mr Wane's part, if he considers himself a top class coach then coach, I would sooner go with what we have and lose than going with borrowed players especially those who openly admit England would be second choice, but I can't blame those player's for that who wouldn't want to play for their own country first and foremost generating all the passion and desires just by pulling that shirt on gives them, the second best option for those player's simply cannot conjure up those same emotions, and more importantly on a personal note for me as a fan, hoorah I am cheering on Aussies in an England Shirt it just doesn't ring right does it?

The first Ashes game I attended was as a 10year old at Swinton in '63 and there are not many games on home soil I have missed since by either GB or England and I proudly followed them to Aus, I have as yet to witness a series victory, 3 nations, 4 nations or WC, I dont want to start now with borrowed player's.

To say I am disappointed with this seemingly U-Turn by Mr Wane is putting it mildly, my opinion of course I have been against it since the Fijian Maurie Fa'asavalu played for GB and followed by Kiwi Rangi Chase and since a few more Aussies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't be all that enthused to see Radley in an England 13 jumper in place of somebody like Knowles.

20 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

I don't watch much NRL but could Radley play as an 11 or 12 to accommodate Knowles?

I agree that I would rather see Knowles at 13 for England.  If Radley were head and shoulders the better player then it may be an argument but he isn't... Knowles is a top quality player.

As for Radley at 11 or 12.  No, he is a middle forward and wouldn't be as good on the edge as our other options.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

If it talks like an aussie, and sounds like an aussie, then its an aussie

• Haha 1

I personally think Wayne Bennett did a great job, especially in the last world cup. 

The challenge for Shaun Wayne, even more so from Bennett, is that he has very little chance of assembling a squad together for competitive purposes, and, spending time 'in camp' with them to instill his ethos. Wayne also has no previous experience like Wayne of assembling an international squad as the head coach.

That in itself in RL is challenging! 

Other sports do it (in terms of the grandparent rule)

Shaun Wane is working under limited circumstances I would imagine

Edited by The British Lion
  • Like 1

The platform to win tests is based around a strong forward pack, with backs like Hastings able to exploit it if that platform is laid. England had that chance when Sam Burgess was at his best, IMO the most influential forward in the game at that time. Unfortunately the backs weren't quite good enough to take advantage of what they had in front of them. Sam's gone and I doubt that this current forward pack has the quality to dominate the best.

I can see that Wane may realise that and hopes Radley can give the forwards that extra something they will need to have any hope of going far in the WC. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I felt Hastings bought into the UK/Super League in a way Aussies seldom do. Don’t mind him being picked.

Radley just doesn’t feel right, not least because he seems a bit of a testa di cazzo, as the Italians say.

I feel the same way.

Plus Hastings has already represented GB.

Could be wrong, but isn’t Radley a certainty for NSW meaning he would be ineligible for England?

I find it hard to believe that any born and bred Aussie would turn their back on a NSW jumper (therefore be in contention to make the Aussie team) to represent England.

And not just from a national pride perspective as it would be more financially beneficial going down the origin/Australia route.