Wane to meet Radley … Talks Walker and Hastings to

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

Could be wrong, but isn’t Radley a certainty for NSW meaning he would be ineligible for England?

I find it hard to believe that any born and bred Aussie would turn their back on a NSW jumper (therefore be in contention to make the Aussie team) to represent England.

And not just from a national pride perspective as it would be more financially beneficial going down the origin/Australia route.

Yeo is in front of him for NSW and played in all three games in 2021. Radley missed out on a squad place due to his disciplinary issues.

I was reading up on him and he said in a 2018 interview that he would play for England if asked. He's obviously been mulling over his international allegiance for a fair few years, despite having played underage levels for Oz.

He can fill in at hooker as well if memory serves, so Wane may be viewing him as a bench utility.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yeo is in front of him for NSW and played in all three games in 2021. Radley missed out on a squad place due to his disciplinary issues.

I was reading up on him and he said in a 2018 interview that he would play for England if asked. He's obviously been mulling over his international allegiance for a fair few years, despite having played underage levels for Oz.

He can fill in at hooker as well if memory serves, so Wane may be viewing him as a bench utility.

True about Yeo but I was more so thinking about the bench spot as he does have utility value (lock, second row & hooker) plus a high impact style of play. If he didn’t get ankle injury I’m fairly confident he would of made the team especially considering Cam Murray is injured.

I also saw that interview in 2018 concerning England however it struck me as being a fairly casual conversation. I.e would you like to play for England….’yeah sure. That would be great’ type of answer. Not so much someone who is deeply muling over the decision. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 16:37, Mr Frisky said:

When you let 5 year olds pen a sports story.... its that great Australian educational system again.....

Their education system must be good if their  5 year olds are able to "pen" sports stories. 🤔🙂

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 2

I don’t have a problem with the 3 players possible selection,one has already represented GB,one was born in this country & the other has an English father.

If they are selected & we pull off an unlikely WC victory,where they grew up will be forgotten by 99% of supporters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t have a problem with the 3 players possible selection,one has already represented GB,one was born in this country & the other has an English father.

If they are selected & we pull off an unlikely WC victory,where they grew up will be forgotten by 99% of supporters.

I'd agree with that.  In isolation you wouldn't have too much of an issue with any one of them playing for England based on their links so why not all three?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Really, so you think if Australia gave him the nod he would say hang on a minute let me think about that one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I will be in the 1% club Dav, you forgot to say born along with where they grew up. So why no problem with just 3 Dav I am sure more can be dredged up under the qualification rules.

Albeit I can see the reasoning by being born in this country that ticks a big box.

I never thought I would see the day that Mr Wane would squirm to anyone let alone Aussie Nationals, I can imagine him saying "will you come and play for me please, we are not good enough without your help" just like all you lot condoning this action. Instead what he should be saying to his English national selection is "well you have been written off before you start, put that England shirt on, stand 10 feet tall and give it everything you've got, leave nothing out on the field, that way win or lose the public will back you"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, so you think if Australia gave him the nod he would say hang on a minute let me think about that one?

I think Radley is quite unique in this in that he probably has a shot at getting an Australia jersey at some point. If it wasn't for injury he would have certainly played for NSW by now. He is still only 24 and in his case its not a case of some over the hill Australian suddenly deciding he's English just to play international RL or someone who has no chance of playing for Australia.

If he actually made that choice would that not count for a lot? I am actually much closer to you on this debate than others but even I think it would be quite a statement at this point for Radley to pick England. If he was 30 I would have a much different take. I don't think he will anyway and will go down the NSW and Australia route and this debate will be redundant anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think Radley is quite unique in this in that he probably has a shot at getting an Australia jersey at some point. If it wasn't for injury he would have certainly played for NSW by now. He is still only 24 and in his case its not a case of some over the hill Australian suddenly deciding he's English just to play international RL or someone who has no chance of playing for Australia.

If he actually made that choice would that not count for a lot? I am actually much closer to you on this debate than others but even I think it would be quite a statement at this point for Radley to pick England. If he was 30 I would have a much different take. I don't think he will anyway and will go down the NSW and Australia route and this debate will be redundant anyway.

Thanks for the reply Damien.

I would go as far to say if Mr Wane offered him a place in the England set up tomorrow he would not accept it, instead he would say I want to wait to see if I get SoO and Australian selection before commiting to England, he would want to keep his options open.

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be in the 1% club Dav, you forgot to say born along with where they grew up. So why no problem with just 3 Dav I am sure more can be dredged up under the qualification rules.

Albeit I can see the reasoning by being born in this country that ticks a big box.

I never thought I would see the day that Mr Wane would squirm to anyone let alone Aussie Nationals, I can imagine him saying "will you come and play for me please, we are not good enough without your help" just like all you lot condoning this action. Instead what he should be saying to his English national selection is "well you have been written off before you start, put that England shirt on, stand 10 feet tall and give it everything you've got, leave nothing out on the field, that way win or lose the public will back you"

And how do you know he’s “squirming”,I rather think Wane hasn’t squirmed to anyone in his life & he’s simply had a discussion  with the 3 players in question.

I also think Wane doesn’t need help from an old man from Leigh on team motivation,especially one who has such outdated views on Englishness.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for the reply Damien.

I would go as far to say if Mr Wane offered him a place in the England set up tomorrow he would not accept it, instead he would say I want to wait to see if I get SoO and Australian selection before commiting to England, he would want to keep his options open.

I know that and agree but I'm talking hypothetically. If he did turn down Australia and choose England instead would you think any more of him and his allegiance? Then we are not talking about a player playing for England because he is not good enough for Australia, its a player that has actively chosen England over them.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

International sport is very different now , it obviously isn’t just where you were born . I don’t see why we should be uniquely superior . If you’re eligible , if you’re committed , if you’re good enough then that’s enough for me . Pick the best you can , if these players give everything for you I don’t care where they were born or grew up . It’s about winning and if we win I couldn’t care less . The WC will be full of heritage players , sport in general is a melting pot - two of my greatest memories are 2005 Ashes and 2019 Cricket World Cup . Look at the leading lights there . I tend to agree with Radley and Walker this argument may be redundant , but if they go all in then great , it’s a big call on their side to. Hastings is a total nobrainer . When England play they’re all England players IMO , that’s it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And how do you know he’s “squirming”,I rather think Wane hasn’t squirmed to anyone in his life & he’s simply had a discussion  with the 3 players in question.

I also think Wane doesn’t need help from an old man from Leigh on team motivation,especially one who has such outdated views on Englishness.

Well that has certainly rattled your cage hasn't it, you stick with bringing in ringers Dav, it suits you.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

International sport is very different now , it obviously isn’t just where you were born . I don’t see why we should be uniquely superior . If you’re eligible , if you’re committed , if you’re good enough then that’s enough for me . Pick the best you can , if these players give everything for you I don’t care where they were born or grew up . It’s about winning and if we win I couldn’t care less . The WC will be full of heritage players , sport in general is a melting pot - two of my greatest memories are 2005 Ashes and 2019 Cricket World Cup . Look at the leading lights there . I tend to agree with Radley and Walker this argument may be redundant , but if they go all in then great , it’s a big call on their side to. Hastings is a total nobrainer . When England play they’re all England players IMO , that’s it 

I’d be very surprised if Radley & Walker  choose England,but like everyone else on here I don’t know their thoughts on the subject,but if they do choose this path it’s a massive commitment for them & should be celebrated as such.

People can be born/raised in another country & yet have a real affinity to the country a parent came from or where they spent a small part of their childhood.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know that and agree but I'm talking hypothetically. If he did turn down Australia and choose England instead would you think any more of him and his allegiance? Then we are not talking about a player playing for England because he is not good enough for Australia, its a player that has actively chosen England over them.

I think that hypothetical is the right choice of word Damien, as I could never see him choosing England over Aus in a straight choice.

But again as you are putting me on the spot, no I don't think he should be considered for England, he is an Aussie first and foremost, I watched 3 Aussies line up for England in '19 in stoney silence at the national anthem it just didn't look right when all their team mates were glowing with pride.

And before anyone brings up Brian Carney he qualified by right the team he represented when they played the National anthem was GB & Ireland, out of respect the Irish anthem should have had some recognition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think that hypothetical is the right choice of word Damien, as I could never see him choosing England over Aus in a straight choice.

But again as you are putting me on the spot, no I don't think he should be considered for England, he is an Aussie first and foremost, I watched 3 Aussies line up for England in '19 in stoney silence at the national anthem it just didn't look right when all their team mates were glowing with pride.

And before anyone brings up Brian Carney he qualified by right the team he represented when they played the National anthem was GB & Ireland, out of respect the Irish anthem should have had some recognition.

Thanks for the honest answer and as I said I am much closer to you on this than others. I would certainly though be much more impressed and sure about someone's commitment when they choose England as a young player, despite having a strong chance to play for Australia, than players like Chris Heighington who weren't good enough for Australia and suddenly felt English as a 30 year old.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Respectfully David I will disagree with you, to me it does matter where you are born and brought up, yes we have these new qualification laws in all sports but does it make it correct, obviously to you it does "if we win I couldn't care less" you say, I can knowing full well that given the opportunity these player's would represent the country of their birth and development of themselves both as a player and as a person.

Yes, the WC will be full of heritage player's, without heritage we would have a 5 nations competition, I would guess at 70% plus of the player's will be Australian Nationals.

19 hours ago, Scubby said:

Can they ever get it right? 😕 

The England coach has further expressed interest in selecting in-form Tigers halfback Jackson Hastings for a British call-up.

Hastings qualifies for Three Lions selection via his English grandmother, and represented England on four occasions under Wayne Bennett’s leadership in 2019.

Considering how often I've seen "England/GB", a team assembled by the RFL described "playing as England" sometimes and "playing as GB" other times, etc. on here the pot is truly calling the kettle black there.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

without speaking to him I am not sure how you can say that. As I have duel national kids (English and Irish) i know that they would pull on, with pride and 100% commitment, either national shirt and actually my son is showing more leaning towards Ireland than he does towards England at the moment (he was born here and I am 100% English as far as international qualification goes so he is 50/50).. 

I agree that those picked need to be committed and be "English before all else" but the whole article strikes me that this is exactly what Wane is going to find out and have a proper chat to them, if he is not happy with their commitment ie Radley saying "yes I'll play but do you mind if i wait to see if Australia pick me first" then he, in all likelihood, will say "no you're ok I need to be able to plan better than that and I need someone committed to the cause". Lets be fair on this Wane is no mug and I think he will want to know who to watch and who to plan for so need some firm commitments in the next week or so to start that process properly.

Thats my take on the article anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn’t touch any of them,

Radley has declared for Australia, so no thanks

Walker OK but I’d rather promote a genuine English half like Mikey Lewis

Hastings is a tougher one but he’s a plastic Englishman who wouldn’t go near us if Australia wanted him

Edited by OMEGA
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wow,not belting out God Save the Queen should result in not representing this country,better inform the FA because I’ve seen various footballers not singing it or the BOC because plenty of Scots & Welsh don’t sing it at the Olympics,maybe Daley Thompson should have been banned after whistling it in LA,what a ridiculous argument.

As an Aussie (with a bad education apparently) and an avid Super League fan, here’s my take:

Walker is a good young half, but there’s better English halves. Walker has the luxury of an imposing forward pack and a partner in Keary that takes the lead most plays. This allows Walker to chime in with a bit of brilliance now and then. If you put Smith, Dodd, Pryce in that position they’d look equally as good as Walker. So I would pick Walker in the squad if England was his first choice, but I wouldn’t automatically select him on match day. 

As for Radley and Hastings, they are very good players and could help England win the WC. I would pick Morgan Knowles over Radley, but I would still have Radley in the 17.

The 1 per centers on this forum need to remember that England desperately needs to win the World Cup to gain long term public support from the 99 per centers. Nothing will boost RL in England like a WC victory. 

Edited by dealwithit
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wow,not belting out God Save the Queen should result in not representing this country,better inform the FA because I’ve seen various footballers not singing it or the BOC because plenty of Scots & Welsh don’t sing it at the Olympics,maybe Daley Thompson should have been banned after whistling it in LA,what a ridiculous argument.

Suit yourself, 

16 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

As an Aussie (with a bad education apparently) and an avid Super League fan, here’s my take:

Walker is a good young half, but there’s better English halves. Walker has the luxury of an imposing forward pack and a partner in Keary that takes the lead most plays. This allows Walker to chime in with a bit of brilliance now and then. If you put Smith, Dodd, Pryce in that position they’d look equally as good as Walker. So I would pick Walker in the squad if England was his first choice, but I wouldn’t automatically select him on match day. 

As for Radley and Hastings, they are very good players and could help England win the WC. I would pick Morgan Knowles over Radley, but I would still have Radley in the 17.

The 1 per centers on this forum need to remember that England desperately needs to win the World Cup to gain long term public support from the 99 per centers. Nothing will boost RL in England like a WC victory. 

The Roosters pack hasn’t been imposing for a few years now & Walker did a great job last year without Keary or a settled halfback partner.

• Like 1