Wire sign some props

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They’re admitting they got it wrong so far this year then 

which is good... be worse if they couldnt admit it and just kept making the same mistake over and over.. spot it, fix it, move on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They’re admitting they got it wrong so far this year then 

It's an j yeresting one, because Mulhern and Bullock just hasn't worked as lead props, but I thought they were excellent versus Saints the other night. 

I suppose that's the difference between good players and world class players - World class ones do it week in week out. 

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

which is good... be worse if they couldnt admit it and just kept making the same mistake over and over.. spot it, fix it, move on.

Agreed. Very obvious we have messed up but better to do something than try to style it out.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Some big bodies coming in which should beef up their pack. On his day Kasiano can make a big difference when coming off the bench. Not one of Super League's most consistent players but you take that risk with a player like that. Some consistent hard working forwards alongside him will balance that out.

I'm not quite as impressed with Dudson. This season I think his performances are fairly average. A big body to have down the middle but not the best defender or the most impactful going forward. However, if the pack is struggling for size then a bigger average player is going to be more beneficial than a smaller average player.

• Like 2

I’m pretty pleased with this. I didn’t really think much of Dudson until he worked with Watson at Salford— I reckon he’s a steady eady but a biggish steady eady who’ll work well with Cooper— assuming we keep him— as starting props. Big Sam is , as already stated, an excellent impact player on his day. Don’t know too much about the other lad but he’s big, young and can’t be that much of a slouch looking at the game time he’s had in the NRL. He’s hopefully going to be playing soon and fingers crossed, is something like some of the forwards Hull have managed to recruit 

• Like 1

Not sure on these signings really. Some size for sure but question marks around Kasiano and Dudson for me. 2 fairly inconsistent players. I've not got a clue about Mikaele but if he works out he could certainly boost Warrington this season.

53 minutes ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

I’m pretty pleased with this. I didn’t really think much of Dudson until he worked with Watson at Salford— I reckon he’s a steady eady but a biggish steady eady who’ll work well with Cooper— assuming we keep him— as starting props. Big Sam is , as already stated, an excellent impact player on his day. Don’t know too much about the other lad but he’s big, young and can’t be that much of a slouch looking at the game time he’s had in the NRL. He’s hopefully going to be playing soon and fingers crossed, is something like some of the forwards Hull have managed to recruit 

Thought Cooper was retiring. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Did Warrington offer Hill a deal, I can’t remember?

Fair play to Powell for addressing it. Thursday was promising for them and some better middles and they could challenge next year. 

Hill wanted two years. He was still in good form, but I have a feeling Powell was trying to change the old guard a bit and bring in players with the right character as well as ability. He speaks about wanting a team that doesn’t get rattled, and I think maybe Hill falls short a little in that regard. It’s clear this season that resilience (or lack of it) can become endemic in a team culture.

The pleasing thing as a Wire fan is that our best players at the moment are young and mostly locally produced. In that regard it’s the best position we’ve been in for years. Powell has identified the areas where we are not getting a return on investment and shipping certain costly assets out. These new forwards may not be up to the standards of Hill but I’m sure they’ll make a big difference and hopefully be the right character too.

Incidentally, I don’t put the performance of the team purely down to lack of weight or talent. I think there’s a struggle to adapt to a completely new mindset and a few of the players are allegedly showing a bit of inertia over buying into this new mentality. Looking at the history of Powell I’ll back him ahead of those players.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Any thoughts on Mikaele? I don't know much about him. 

A good player, makes an impact, a regular for the Wests and they wanted to keep him, which says a lot.

Be interesting to see how he goes in a different environment, because the Wests have been poor for most the time he has been there, so not always easy to judge.

Disappointing that Wire's approach on signing young English props (Mulhern, Butler, Bullock) has not worked out

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Hill wanted two years. He was still in good form, but I have a feeling Powell was trying to change the old guard a bit and bring in players with the right character as well as ability. He speaks about wanting a team that doesn’t get rattled, and I think maybe Hill falls short a little in that regard. It’s clear this season that resilience (or lack of it) can become endemic in a team culture.

The pleasing thing as a Wire fan is that our best players at the moment are young and mostly locally produced. In that regard it’s the best position we’ve been in for years. Powell has identified the areas where we are not getting a return on investment and shipping certain costly assets out. These new forwards may not be up to the standards of Hill but I’m sure they’ll make a big difference and hopefully be the right character too.

Incidentally, I don’t put the performance of the team purely down to lack of weight or talent. I think there’s a struggle to adapt to a completely new mindset and a few of the players are allegedly showing a bit of inertia over buying into this new mentality. Looking at the history of Powell I’ll back him ahead of those players.

Thought it might have been a case of club offers one year, player wants two and another club offers that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Any thoughts on Mikaele? I don't know much about him. 

On another forum someone has stated there is no spectacular highlight reel on YouTube, and how that must be a good sign because we all get excited by so-called big signings only to be disappointed that they don’t live up to the hype.

Can’t disagree with that. Mikaele is young and was NRL rookie of the Year in 2019. He won’t be on megabucks so I’ll be quite happy if he’s a half-decent impact prop like Sene-Lafao was in his prime.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Disappointing that Wire's approach on signing young English props (Mulhern, Butler, Bullock) has not worked out

Mulhearn was pretty decent from the bench playing under Price’s style. He’s getting back to that as we go further into this season.

I thought Bullock might have had more impact. Not sure whether he’s had a full pre-season though to be fair so I’ll give him a bit more time. Butler just didn’t work out for whatever reason.

I have to say though, that Cooper and Philbin are way below their usual standard. And that’s why I think there’s a lot more to this season’s shortcomings than just pack size. We’re struggling to click on the whole. Any team with Cooper, Mulhearn and Philbin (all international props) should be better than we are. Hill didn’t carry them.

Edited by Desert Skipper

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Cant understand why the let Hill go this season but 3 great players.

Amazed Cats let big Sam go - hes been instrumental in their form over the past 2 years - must have maxed their cap out.

Perhaps the Catalans have someone they consider better than Sam lined up

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A good player, makes an impact, a regular for the Wests and they wanted to keep him, which says a lot.

Be interesting to see how he goes in a different environment, because the Wests have been poor for most the time he has been there, so not always easy to judge.

I'll be interested to see who moves on. Butler left last week and apparently Cooper is leaving so there may be a place for Mulhern and Bullock? 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'll be interested to see who moves on. Butler left last week and apparently Cooper is leaving so there may be a place for Mulhern and Bullock? 

I heard Bullock was leaving too but I'm not sure of the source

• Like 1