Wire sign some props

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Powell explicitly stated in his first meeting he was going to change the systems from top to bottom, and wants a bigger focus on leadership and mentality. The video is up somewhere. I know for certain he said he wanted the squad to buy into the mindset and accept things were going to run differently. Certain players (big earners?) seem to have struggled or resisted change, and now they’re being shipped out.

I have to say I’m backing Powell on this. Enough coaches have failed to get a consistent winning mentality from a squad of superstars. Now Powell is building a less flashy squad and promoting some of our excellent academy products, something that Wire fans were crying out for the last couple of seasons, and opposition fans revelled in (as Price stuck with his favourites).

This needed to happen at some point and I’m glad it’s Powell bringing the young players through and not a Price-style NRL coach.

I agree with this so much that I can't add anything. Well played.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I'd heard he was off to Barrow next year

Amor has already said this will be his last year in SL. Whether he then decides to drop down and do a final  season in the Championship I guess will be down to how he's feeling come the end of the season.

Good luck to him at Wire, been a good servant at Saints and he leaves with winners rings. But the reality is he's surplus to requirements at Saints this year and there's 5 other props in front of him, with a few other players who can move up to prop, plus a good youngster coming through in Delaney.

With Dodd out for the season and Lomax carrying a serious injury Saints will be better served in using Amor's cap space to bring in another half back.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Best prop in the world for me

He's been up there in that echelon for the last 5+ years, has shown some high quality form in a Roosters side that hasn't performed as expected this year as well.

The type of signing that is brilliant for the competition as a whole, SST knocked back a big play from the Dolphins and would've been courted by plenty of other NRL clubs in favour of going to Catalans.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UTK said:

He's been up there in that echelon for the last 5+ years, has shown some high quality form in a Roosters side that hasn't performed as expected this year as well.

The type of signing that is brilliant for the competition as a whole, SST knocked back a big play from the Dolphins and would've been courted by plenty of other NRL clubs in favour of going to Catalans.

They Catalans are also being linked to Wade Graham,now that would be 2 cracking signings if they pull it off.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

They Catalans are also being linked to Wade Graham,now that would be 2 cracking signings if they pull it off.

Wade Graham of 3 years ago, definitely.  The guy has had multiple serious injuries and multiple head knock concerns the last few years though unfortunately so it would be a hell of a risk.

• Like 1

He has had injuries and head knocks but he’s a very good skilful player with bags of experience and a leader on the pitch and he’s not old by any means . It’s a risk I’d say is well worth taking 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Taukeiaho definately a good signing - Graham WTF !!!

TBH I thought he'd retired due to years of serious & persistent injuries

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 26/05/2022 at 11:02, Saint Toppy said:

Taukeiaho definately a good signing - Graham WTF !!!

TBH I thought he'd retired due to years of serious & persistent injuries

Are you sure you are not mixing him up with Boyd Cordner who had to give it up after getting repeated concussions that were taking longer each time to recover from.

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

Are you sure you are not mixing him up with Boyd Cordner who had to give it up after getting repeated concussions that were taking longer each time to recover from.

No mate, Graham has had multiple concussions these last 12 months.

Cooper is leaving he's joined Wigan for next season. 

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

1 hour ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

Cooper is leaving he's joined Wigan for next season. 

Now I'm looking forward to next year already!!

Charnley's probably leaving too. Also, Ellis Robson to Newcastle on a deal, and Riley Dean going the same way, but on loan.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

57 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Last man out shut the door… 

Itll be interesting to see what Powell’s Wire looks like in 1-2yrs.

Fascinating times at the Wire. Powell's going for faster and more radical change than I expected.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Fascinating times at the Wire. Powell's going for faster and more radical change than I expected.

I think he has had a nasty shock with who is prepared/able to change their mindset/style of play and the only way to do it is clear it out. Widdop surprises me, and I've always been a fan of his, but age and fitness is against him I suspect. 

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think he has had a nasty shock

Like when his face says "I wish he hadn't done that!" for the Sky cameras?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

40 minutes ago, RP London said:

I think he has had a nasty shock with who is prepared/able to change their mindset/style of play and the only way to do it is clear it out. Widdop surprises me, and I've always been a fan of his, but age and fitness is against him I suspect. 

tbh Widdop's had two feet out the door since his family issues in 2020, he had a very good purple patch at the start of last year before he got injured v giants in the first game back with fans. But generally, he's been a let down.

• 2 weeks later...