Sat 28th May: Challenge Cup Final: Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors KO 15:00 (BBC One)

Who will win?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants by 13 points or more
    • Huddersfield Giants by 7 to 12 points
    • Huddersfield Giants by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/05/22 at 14:30

Cracking final between two very good sides. Huddersfield should have won, but missing so many kicks left Wigan in it to go on and win. James Child didn't help, why he's rated is beyond me. The bloke is a liability and missed a lot yesterday. 

And so we shall again…

5 minutes ago, devonhawk said:

Cracking final between two very good sides. Huddersfield should have won, but missing so many kicks left Wigan in it to go on and win. James Child didn't help, why he's rated is beyond me. The bloke is a liability and missed a lot yesterday. 

More of a liability than Morgan Smithies' swinging arms to heads?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, meast said:

Now, about my experience of the day and the stadium.

I thought the stadium was superb, the acoustics and the views and the general feel of the stadium was fantastic, far better than Wembley, it had a feel of a proper ground about it rather than a corporate bowl.

I was in the lower tier with the noisy Giants fans and even the upper tiers felt close despite being high up, at Wembley the upper tiers feel so much further away, almost like a separate ground, even in the upper tiers at Wembley, the lower tiers seem so distant too.

Despite the area around the ground being less than salubrious, it felt "homely" with the High road being blocked off and fans up and down the High road, it felt like there was a closeness that you don't get with Wembley's vast expanses of shopping centres, hotels and corporate office blocks.

Travel wise, we had no problems, underground to sevens sisters then a fairly slow bus ride up to Tottenham, after the game we had a drink and made our way back to seven sisters initially by bus then a short walk after the bus was taken out of operation, then back to kings cross for a drink before our train home.

Wembley, despite it massiveness, it's corporateness it's good, but this felt like a really good alternative, I'd be more than happy to go back, although I'd be less inclined to pay £6.75 for a pint though!

as a regularat spurs, i did notice yesterday that the beer was £1 a pint dearer yesterday, not sure if thats a price increase for nwxt season or yesterday. brewery inside the ground, so cant be put down to transport! enjoyed the game with my son as neutrals. 

1 hour ago, devonhawk said:

Generally, I consider any game he is in charge of to be in the lap of the gods.

You don't know what he's gonna call, and when he does, why he's called it 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnh1 said:

When Smithies gets a lengthy ban as he surely will, then Hudds fans will have every right to feel aggrieved. That said, great game for a neutral to watch. Well done both teams,

There were quite a few head shots both ways, Smithies himself took one, Farrel copped another, be careful what you wish for.

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I very much enjoyed the day. There were two very good games and the result of both went the way I wanted which helps. I thought the atmosphere was great and would be very happy to see more RL played at Tottenham.

On the Challenge Cup final I think people are being harsh focusing on the missed goal kicks and that heaps too much attention and blame on Lolohea who has been excellent for Huddersfield this season. Huddersfield had a game plan which they stuck to very well, controlling where we began our sets with good field kicking and kick chase pressure. Huddersfield's defence was very good at limiting the amount of ground we made on our sets and they helped themselves by not conceding many penalties or making lots of errors. Our defence too was very good limiting the impact on us on the scoreboard from all the pressure put on our line. We were very scratchy in attack in the first half and looked like the side most affected by nerves. I think it helped us that it was Harry Smith who scored our first try as it settled him and he was excellent thereafter, which along with Leuluai's introduction helped to stabilise us.

Ultimately I think where the game was won or lost was in how clinical and able to punish the opposing team's errors and take the opportunities available the two teams were. Huddersfield had sustained periods through the game where they dominated possession and territory but were not able to convert it into points often enough. At half time we were only 4 points down when on the balance of play it should probably have been a 12 point gap or maybe a bit more. We didn't manage to crack the resolute Huddersfield defence very often in the game but when we did breach the defensive line we generally scored. The pace of French, Field and Marshall certainly helped in that regard. Huddersfield though excellent in defence was less clinical with the ball. Given that they were more dominant in possession and territory and that we made more errors particularly in our own half Huddersfield should have scored more tries than we did. They didn't capitalise on territory or our errors enough and that ultimately cost them. We managed to hold on closely enough that our back three could do what we all know they can and to get the win. It was IMO a tale of two strong defences and the ability to find ways to breach them.

Hopefully some of those football fans that came to watch will have been impressed and will start to attend Huddersfield games. I'm sure it won't be the last final we see Huddersfield in over the next few seasons.

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I was at the 1995 final Wigan v Leeds and there were many protests and fans who were worried about their teams. I think their views are understandable.

What’s your point - ML was a visionary - the sport would not be on tv and played in dilapidated stadiums (like Cas and Wakefield) without him

Had a great day. Enjoyed everything about it. The stadium is superbly designed. As meast said earlier, it draws you into the game much more than Wembley does and the acoustics are tremendous. We were up in the gods but still felt involved and the view was outstanding. The bar areas are the best I've seen at any stadium and the choice of drinks was a cut above normal stadium swill. There was a really nice feel outside the stadium pre-match too. We were going to go straight inside but hung around for a bit enjoying the atmosphere (and a cheap beer from the offie across the road). Stoke Newington worked brilliantly as a pre and post match location. Great pubs and places to eat that weren't crowded and ten minutes to White Hart Lane on the Overground. In addition to all that it was my son's girlfriend's first ever rugby game and she loved it. 

Enjoyed the game too. As a neutral I'd hoped it would go right down to the final hooter and I got what I wanted. Really felt for the Huddersfield fans though. Not difficult to imagine what those closing minutes must have been like.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

9 hours ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think the Challenge Cup has lost any magic on the field, whether it’s a grass patch with a barrier around it or the multi million pound Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the action on the pitch has been entertaining and exciting, as it is every year.

Back to the first round we had teams from Scotland (Edinburgh Eagles), Ireland (Galway Tribesmen) and Wales (Bridgend Blue Bulls) alongside non-heartland teams in London Chargers, Jarrow Vikings and Wests Warriors, service sides like GB Police, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and British Army taking the field against established and famous amateur clubs like Wigan St Patricks, Siddal, Leigh East etc. 

We’ve had The Army beating Orrell St James, an Army v Navy game in round two, an all-London tie, Lock Lane’s giant killing against Oldham, Hunslet Parkside beating a League One team in London Skolars and then pushing former winners Sheffield Eagles all the way, Leigh edging past Bradford in a tight game, St Helens and Huddersfield going to Whitehaven and Barrow, Wakefield knocking out Warrington, a quality quarter final between Catalans and St Helens, the great semi-final derby between Wigan and St Helens and then the final being settled by two points. 

We’re in a golden period for finals. Six different winners in as many years, finals settled by 2, 14, 1, 14, 6, 4 and 2 in the past seven years and ten different finalists in ten finals.

The magic on the field isn’t rewarded with the crowds it deserves on the terraces and that’s a concern and disappointing, as there is a lot of good games, good stories and history made each year but our fans don’t attend in numbers to see it in person. It’s the second biggest gate of the year every year and unique that it’s the only knockout competition of its kind but attitudes do change and priorities change. 

I watched Pilks v Galway - the cups magic remains, just needs an occasional polish

On 24/05/2022 at 12:29, John Drake said:

Discuss the Challenge Cup Final: Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors here.

Please tell me what the attendance was for the match. Size of crowd please 

2 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Please tell me what the attendance was for the match. Size of crowd please 

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

12 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Thanks. Took some finding.

Its the game that counts

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Any one else notice the BBC getting the logos wrong for England RL, using the RU red rose?
Also used the Featherstone logo for Hudds at one point.

Sloppy and not helpful when we are in such a key year for England RL branding especially.

Cracker of a game, mind. I was desperately hoping Hudds could hold on.

I really enjoyed both games, i only saw the Fev/Leigh match later in on in the day. I put the Huddersfield/Wigan game on just after they had kicked off, and one thing i forgot to look at because i was enjoying the match so much was the big talking topic for some “The Empty Seats”. Id say it was a successful day and not the disaster people were fearing. Both matches were end to end. I would’ve liked Huddersfield to have lifted the cup with being a Saints fan. But i thought Wigan deserved it, i was a bit surprised with Huddersfield kicking on the last or lack of kicking. But full credit to Wigan because whenever Field or French got the ball i dont know if the Huddersfield fans were panicking but i was. McGillvary’s try was class and McQueen deserved MoM. But Farrell what a brilliant player he is, id have him at Saints for next season. Is he out of contract ?. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josef K said:

I really enjoyed both games, i only saw the Fev/Leigh match later in on in the day. I put the Huddersfield/Wigan game on just after they had kicked off, and one thing i forgot to look at because i was enjoying the match so much was the big talking topic for some “The Empty Seats”. Id say it was a successful day and not the disaster people were fearing. Both matches were end to end. I would’ve liked Huddersfield to have lifted the cup with being a Saints fan. But i thought Wigan deserved it, i was a bit surprised with Huddersfield kicking on the last or lack of kicking. But full credit to Wigan because whenever Field or French got the ball i dont know if the Huddersfield fans were panicking but i was. McGillvary’s try was class and McQueen deserved MoM. But Farrell what a brilliant player he is, id have him at Saints for next season. Is he out of contract ?. 

The in goal areas were quite small, so it looked to be a tactic that they’d run it on the last rather than kick it, giving Wigan ball inside their ten, instead of handing them the ball on their 20 metres. I suppose kicking to French and/or Marshall wouldn’t be a good move either. 

• Like 1

1st point if i may get it out of the way - HOW THE HELL DID MORGAN SMITHIES STAY ON THAT PITCH??? 2 straight red card offences and he escaped punishment for them both!!!! was it the fact it was the cup final that saved him?

Anyway never in my life have i ever been so heartbroken as i was in the 77th minute of the 2022 Challenge cup final - we had it, we had won the cup, we were clock watching and then Wigan came up with a fantastic play at the death to nick it off us, one memory i will never forget is the utter silence, not even cries of disbelief, just silence from our end of the ground when Marshall caught that ball.

In the end we only have ourselves to blame and we leave with lot's of what if's - what if Tui had kicked those conversions, what if Ollie Russell had taken over (he wouldn't have due to his hamstring not being 100%), what if Chris Hill hadn't have been injured, what if Ricky Leutele hadn't come so far in field, what if Smithies had been sent off, what if Jerry or Leroy or Tui would have been better positioned for the winning try?

The crux of the matter is none of those happened and despite us being by far the better side we never did enough to win the game and get far enough in front to make the Marshall try irrelevant, on that point it was a superb play and was worthy of winning a cup final in the final minutes though not this one, not this year!!

Congratulations to Wigan, their fans and more importantly Matty Peet, he comes across as a really nice humble guy and all weekend his words about our club have been exemplory and respectful, i am pleased for him to win the cup.

What really hurt is seeing Ken Davy on the pitch at the end just stood there, visibly upset by the defeat, was he thinking that that was his last chance at seeing Claret and Gold ribbons on that wonderful trophy? and being consoled and hugged by his granddaughter and the players and staff checking up on him, Tui was in tears, Watto was going round picking distraught grown men off the ground, another 2 minutes and it could all have been so different.

Having watched the game back, alone and in the calm of my conservatory with a nice cup of tea i thought it was a brilliant game of Rugby League and one very fitting for a final, both teams gave just about everything.

Ollie Russell and Innes Senior in particular as they have been most of the season are showing why they are both blossoming into excellent, reliable players, they were both superb again.

So pleased for Jerry too, his 1st major domestic final and he bags a try, fitting it was a Leroy-Jerry trademark effort too.

We can and need to use this heartbreak as energy for the rest of the season and not wallow in self pity or regret, we are more than capable of getting to and winning the grand final, Ian Watson will know this and will already be instilling that belief into the players this morning.

Excellent game, best team lost, we were heartbroken but had a wonderful, wonderful day and anyone who says the challenge cup is dying needs their head testing!!

Congratulations Wigan.

• Like 4

Got round to watching it this morning. Huddersfield for all their territory and possession didn’t have enough of a lead at HT to show for it but you have to give some credit to Wigans defence for that. The Smith try at the start of the second half was crucial and I think it was the first time Huddersfield had really let Wigan get round the outside of them. The missed kicks were a factor but the penalty in particular was a glaring miss.

As for the two Smithies incidents players have been sent off for those.

2 hours ago, bromleybulldog said:

Salt in the wounds for Giants fans- Morgan Smithies has received 2 x 2game bans for the high tackles........

Which we all knew he would get when he did it, just annoying that the Ref decided he couldn't punish him as it was a final and get accused of ruining the final etc.....

Edited by daz39

25 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Which we all knew he would get when he did it, just annoying that the Ref decided he couldn't punish him as it was a final and get accused of ruining the final etc.....

I thought your longer post above was balanced and magnanimous, and can see why Smithies’ ban is galling, You could argue on the same basis, that Yates should have been sent off as well, and 12 v 12 our greater pace would have seen us home. Plus, we lost our stand off as against your prop during the game... Either side would have been worthy winners, and I will be shouting for the Giants if they play in the GF against anyone but us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I thought your longer post above was balanced and magnanimous, and can see why Smithies’ ban is galling, You could argue on the same basis, that Yates should have been sent off as well, and 12 v 12 our greater pace would have seen us home. Plus, we lost our stand off as against your prop during the game... Either side would have been worthy winners, and I will be shouting for the Giants if they play in the GF against anyone but us. 

No complaints about Yatesy's ban and wouldn't have complained if he had been given a card either, the difference being it wasn't the 2nd time and didn't look pre meditated which both Smithies did, we all said after the game that he would probably get banned for them but that's no consalation to us.

I have absolutely no qualms about losing, it's just a bit of a post heartbreak kick in the nuts with a 'what if' hanging over the situation for us.