(I've started this thread today because of the events in Texas.)

On the 25th May 1787 the United States Constitutional Congress began at which the US Constitution was written.

4 years later the 2nd amendment to that document was ratified. That amendment is the right to bear arms which is the excuse all the American gun nuts hide behind whenever there is a mass shooting. 

16 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

(I've started this thread today because of the events in Texas.)

On the 25th May 1787 the United States Constitutional Congress began at which the US Constitution was written.

4 years later the 2nd amendment to that document was ratified. That amendment is the right to bear arms which is the excuse all the American gun nuts hide behind whenever there is a mass shooting. 

Isn’t it in there as a right to bare/bear arms in an organised militias. That seems to be how it was intended almost a cheap way of the US having an army. Its so ingrained now in the US and people make so much money out of it it’s almost impossible to see a time when  guns would be banned. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Isn’t it in there as a right to bare/bear arms in an organised militias. That seems to be how it was intended almost a cheap way of the US having an army. Its so ingrained now in the US and people make so much money out of it it’s almost impossible to see a time when  guns would be banned. 

That is essentially what it actually means, basically civilians are allowed to own a gun in case they need to be recruited into a militia to defend the US should it be invaded given that at the time it was ratified the British, Spanish and French Empires all bordered the US and they hadn't had long enough to establish a strong, professional army. However, given that in the modern day the US has the most powerful army in the world you would think the right to bear arms is redundant. 

Another interesting one. On this day in 1521, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V passed the Edict of Worms which outlawed the writings and teachings of Martin Luther in an attempt to curb the spread of protestantism in Europe. However if anything the edict strengthened the influence protestantism was having and spread Luther's ideas even further leading to the large divisions there is within Christianity even to this day. 

• Like 2

Oh this is me … I have two today in history / on this day apps and I look at them every day . I’m a history nut but  still very interesting . First thing I usually check is WW2, and I see today is the day the battle of Dunkirk began 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Oh this is me … I have two today in history / on this day apps and I look at them every day . I’m a history nut but  still very interesting . First thing I usually check is WW2, and I see today is the day the battle of Dunkirk began 

Yeah there's a couple of history YouTube channels I subscribe to that post on this day stuff. That's where I got the Edict of Worms from. 

- Operation Dynamo , the evacuation of Dunkirk , begins 

- Dracula is published in 1897

- Nicholas II becomes the last Tsar , 1894

- Charles II and Louis XIV sign the secret treaty of Dover 1670

- King Edmund I is murdered ,946

A few interesting ones today. 

On this day in 1453 Constantinople falls to the Ottomans after almost 2 months under siege bringing an end to the Byzantine Empire. 

On this day in 1953, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgey reached the summit of Everest becoming the first people known to have done so. 

On this day in 1982, the British won the Battle of Goose Green in the Falklands War. 😁😁😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

on this day 2021 - i was still sat in my work clothes trawling through the TRL forums- exactly at this time too

I’m scrolling through but I can’t find this on my ‘ On This Day ‘ app Johnny . Disgracefully 

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m scrolling through but I can’t find this on my ‘ On This Day ‘ app Johnny . Disgracefully 

never had an app- or a smartfone- i refuse to comply to the brainwashing

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile