France declared a republic and absolute monarchy abolished 1792

The Hobbit published 1937

B29 Superfortress flies for the first time 1939… and in 1961 the chinook helicopter flies … and in 1964 the Valkyrie Mach 3 bomber flies 

I’m born 1973

15 countries sign nuclear non proliferation pact 1977

Yeltsin suspends parliament and suspends constitution 1993

AZF chemical plant explosion in Toulouse 2001

Galileo crashes into Jupiter  2003

Construction of Burj Dubai starts 2004

Nairobi shopping mall terrorist atrocity 2013

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

France declared a republic and absolute monarchy abolished 1792

The Hobbit published 1937

B29 Superfortress flies for the first time 1939… and in 1961 the chinook helicopter flies … and in 1964 the Valkyrie Mach 3 bomber flies 

I’m born 1973

15 countries sign nuclear non proliferation pact 1977

Yeltsin suspends parliament and suspends constitution 1993

AZF chemical plant explosion in Toulouse 2001

Galileo crashes into Jupiter  2003

Construction of Burj Dubai starts 2004

Nairobi shopping mall terrorist atrocity 2013

Happy birthday, young 'un!

• Thanks 1

William the Conqueror sets sail to begin the conquest of England ! 1066

Pope Urban XII has shortest papal reign ever , dying after 13 days 1590

Mexico independence ! 1821

Chompollion deciphers Rosetta Stone 1822

Stockton - Darlington railway opens and becomes first passenger service 1825

First production of Model T Ford 1908

Bobby Jones wins Golf Grand Slam 1930

Germany Italy Japan sign tripartite pact 1940

Glenn Miller last performance 1942

Warren Commission  states Oswald acted alone , ending all debate permanently 1964

Hagler minces Minter 1980 then there’s a riot 

Taliban capture Kabul 1996

William invades England with boat loads of conkers ready to wreak havoc … 1066

Fifth battle of Ypres 1918

First round the world flight 1924

Alexander Fleming discovers penicillin 1928

Warsaw pulverised , and surrenders 1939… secret pact with USSR to divide Poland dooms the country 

Nasser dies of heart attack 1970

MS Estonia sinks killing 852 1994

This is the day in 1399 when Richard II became the first English monarch to abdicate after Henry Bolingbroke’s Henry IV) invasion . Richard is starved to death in Pontefract Castle ( probably ).

Met Police founded 1829

Blackpool electric tram network opens 1885 !

John D Rockefeller becomes first billionaire 1916

Munich agreement … Nazis given the Sudetenland 1938

Italy signs armistice 1943

Pope John Paul first to go to Ireland 1979

• Like 1

Today is the day Vercongetorix surrendered to Julius Caesar (52BC) and Dafydd ap Gruffydd became the first noble to hung drawn and quartered after trying to take on the formidable  King Edward I (1283) … OJ Simpson was acquitted today in 1995 … and in 1952 we became a nuclear power , hurrah ! … Iraq became independent in 1932 … and East Germany ceases to be and Germany is reunified 1990

45 years ago today (i.e. 1969), the BBC first broadcast Monty Python's Flying Circus.  Queue marching band playing Souza's The Liberty Bell !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Happy Lancashire Day

• Thanks 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Not posted on here for a while but thought I would revive this because its a big day for us Napoleonic War buffs. 

On this day in 1804, Napoleon Bonapatre crowns himself Emperor of France at Notre Dame Cathedral. 

One year to the day later, 2 December 1805, Napoleon decisively defeats a combined Russo-Austrian army of the Third Coalition at the Battle of Austerlitz.

This victory is the one Napoleon considered to be his greatest and essentially the one that opened all of Europe up for him to conquer. It also saw the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and the creation of the Confederation of the Rhine, an early federation of German states which would lay the groundwork for the creation of the first German stard itself. Arguably, most of European history to come can be traced back to the French victory at Austerlitz. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

On 02/12/2022 at 06:36, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Not posted on here for a while but thought I would revive this because its a big day for us Napoleonic War buffs. 

On this day in 1804, Napoleon Bonapatre crowns himself Emperor of France at Notre Dame Cathedral. 

One year to the day later, 2 December 1805, Napoleon decisively defeats a combined Russo-Austrian army of the Third Coalition at the Battle of Austerlitz.

This victory is the one Napoleon considered to be his greatest and essentially the one that opened all of Europe up for him to conquer. It also saw the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and the creation of the Confederation of the Rhine, an early federation of German states which would lay the groundwork for the creation of the first German stard itself. Arguably, most of European history to come can be traced back to the French victory at Austerlitz. 

If you are a Boney fan then check his ones on this podcast 

Got a McGann brother narrating and it and very very high quality/well written....I'm addicted to all thier stuff (the producer is called Noiser)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In 1170, Thomas Beckett was assassinated in Canterbury Cathedral.

In 1965, Martin Offiah was born in London.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In 1170, Thomas Beckett was assassinated in Canterbury Cathedral.

In 1965, Martin Offiah was born in London.

1860 HMS warrior launched the first iron hulled armour plated ship.

1845 US annexe Republic of Texas

On 02/12/2022 at 06:36, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On holiday on Corsica some years ago, I recall being struck by the complete lack of references to Napoleon in what was his native island.  The revered and commemorated figure seemed to be Pasquale Paoli (d 1807), around whom latter day nationalists seem to unite.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me pose a seemingly strange question; Who wins in a battle between cavalry and naval warships? 🤔

On this day in 1795, French Hussars achieved the extroadinary feat of charging across the frozen Zuiderzee and capturing a fleet of 14 Dutch ships and 850 guns frozen at anchor in Den Helder, Holland. 

It is the most well known example of the very rare occurance in history of cavalry going up against warships, and indeed winning the day. 

• Like 1

I know there's just the odd person on here that likes a drink so I thought I would share a bit of trivia that might come in handy for a pub quiz. 

In 1933, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company of New Jersey, USA began producing the first canned beer. Due to the risk of canning pressurised beverages, the American Can Company installed the equipment to manufacture it for free and they did an initial run of just 2,000 cans of what they called Krueger's Special Beer, which they sold to employees and their families. Due to an overwhelmingly positive response, canned beer went into full production and on this day in 1935 went on sale to the general public. And the rest is history. 😉🍺