• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today is the 703rd anniversary of the signing by Scottish nobility of the Declaration of Arbroath, which was addressed to, and sent to, the pope.

It urged the pope to use his authority and influence to stop the English king, Edward, from seeking to claim Scotland as part of his territory.  However, I think that, lurking within it, is what must have been, at that time, quite a radical notion.  The nobility said they supported their king, Robert (moot point how much they all did, but that is another matter)  But they then went on to say that he would lose their support if he sought to cede Scotland to the English crown.

That strikes me as flying in the face of the concept of the Divine Right of monarchs.  And remember, it would be over 300 years before the, by then, British monarchy would be so bluntly challenged over its rights in the dispute which led to the English civil war.

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in 1953, Operation Moolah began. 

This was an attempt by the US armed forces to obtain a fully working MIG-15 by offering North Korean pilots $50,000 to defect to South Korea with one of the planes. 

While they were successful in obtaining a plane, the success of the operation as a whole is disputed because the pilot who did defect with the plane actually did so after the signing of the armistice and with absolutely no knowledge of the operation or reward on offer.  Nevertheless, he was given the reward money. 

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A bit like when my next door neighbour leaves their wheelie bins down our shared side passage and doesn't drag them into the backyard like everyone else on the street does. Bloody annoying that. 

Is there going to be an award winning docu-drama about wheeliebingate? (as absolutely no body is calling it)

• Haha 1

On this day in 1789 Fletcher Christian seized control of HMS Bounty.

Bounty's original name was Bethia and she had been built in Hull as a collier some five years previously.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

41 years ago today Leigh won the RL championship 

And I was there 

Do I remember correctly that you just pipped Hull by winning your last game at Whitehaven?

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

22 hours ago, Ullman said:

On this day in 1789 Fletcher Christian seized control of HMS Bounty.

Bounty's original name was Bethia and she had been built in Hull as a collier some five years previously.

I saw one of his direct descendants - Fletcher Roy Christian - play for New Zealand against Wigan in Central Park.  A poignant day for me as, due to a family relocation to the south-west, it was the last game I saw at Central Park and indeed the last time I was at a Wigan match.

I haven't checked, but it would probably have been very early in the 1965-66 season, I think.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2023 at 14:38, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A bit like when my next door neighbour leaves their wheelie bins down our shared side passage and doesn't drag them into the backyard like everyone else on the street does. Bloody annoying that. 

Just be grateful it isn't a shared back passage, HG!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's is a colourful (and very old) one. Worth reading the whole thread.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson