Some giants born today

Jimmy Hill 1928, Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratched) 1934, Terence Stamp 1938, Danny Glover 1946, Don Henley 1947, Lasse Viren 1949, Willem Dafoe 1955, Bonnie Langford 1964, and Rhys Ifans 1967

We said a fond farewell to Harold Larwood in 1995 and Sacha DIstel in 2004

• Like 1

On 14/07/2022 at 07:12, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1789, one of the most significant events in world history occurred, an event that sod all people in Britain will even know happened today I imagine, despite it impacting our history so much as well. 

On 14th July 1789, protestors discontented with the French monarch's abuse of power stormed the Bastille..... 

Vive la revolution! Happy Bastille Day everyone! 😊

Sorry I'm late, been away to that there 'Up North'.  A lot of people think the Bastille was full of political prisoners, in fact there were only seven, and they were  "four forgers, James F.X. Whyte, an Irish born "lunatic", Auguste-Claude Tavernier, a "mad man" who had tried to assassinate Louis XV thirty years before; and one "sexual deviant" aristocrat suspected of murder. The Marquis De Sade had been transferred out ten days earlier."  (Bit like the Houses of Parliament I suppose.)

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’ve just had an email informing me it’s 4 years today since I joined duolingo . Happy 4th duoversary

I signed up to Duolingo about 5/6 years ago to brush up on my German when I was travelling a lot. I've neglected it quite a bit over the last couple of years I must admit, probably because of covid and a total lack of doing any travelling. Always found Duolingo fun when I was doing it though. What language are you learning? 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I signed up to Duolingo about 5/6 years ago to brush up on my German when I was travelling a lot. I've neglected it quite a bit over the last couple of years I must admit, probably because of covid and a total lack of doing any travelling. Always found Duolingo fun when I was doing it though. What language are you learning? 

Italian . I really enjoy it and I’m on level 5, although the lady voice is a strict teacher and often doesn’t understand my accent through the mic and writes things I haven’t said and I get marked wrong  . And I shout at her then shout my answer louder and louder , sometimes in public . But it passes the time 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

Some giants born today

Jimmy Hill 1928, Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratched) 1934, Terence Stamp 1938, Danny Glover 1946, Don Henley 1947, Lasse Viren 1949, Willem Dafoe 1955, Bonnie Langford 1964, and Rhys Ifans 1967

and me.

On this day in 1298, the Battle of Falkirk took place with William Wallace being defeated by King Edward I and his longbowmen. 

On this day in 1797, the naval Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife takes place between the Spanish and British navies. It is at this battle where Nelson is wounded in his arm and has it partially amputated. 

On this day in 1812, the Battle of Salamanca took place during the Peninsular War with General Wellesley defeating Marshall Marmont's French force. 

On this day in 1943, allied forces captured Palermo during the invasion of Sicily. 

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1298, the Battle of Falkirk took place with William Wallace being defeated by King Edward I and his longbowmen. 

On this day in 1797, the naval Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife takes place between the Spanish and British navies. It is at this battle where Nelson is wounded in his arm and has it partially amputated. 

On this day in 1812, the Battle of Salamanca took place during the Peninsular War with General Wellesley defeating Marshall Marmont's French force. 

On this day in 1943, allied forces captured Palermo during the invasion of Sicily. 

Yeh I know 😂😂

The famous Austro-Hungarian ultimatum to Serbia demanding the Austrians be allowed to determine who killed Franz Ferdinand and ordering Serbia to condemn and end all terrorism , propaganda , incitement and propaganda against the monarchy .

Mussolini bans foreign words 1929

Treblinka opened 1942

Prince Andrew marries Fergie 1986

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Happy Birthday Mrs Affleck, Jennifer Lopez 1969, also Martin Keown 1966 and Simon Bolivar 1783

RIP Alex Higgins 2010

I didn't think I'd ever see Martin Keown, Jennifer Lopez and Simon Bolivar in the same sentence! 😂

Today in 1567 Mary Queen of Scots was forced to abdicate in favour of 1 year old James .

Operation Gomorrah begins on Hamburg 1943

Khruschev meets VP Nixon 1959

Apollo 11 splashdown 1969

Supreme Court rules Nixon must surrender missing tapes 1974

Iraqi troops mass on Kuwaiti border 1990

Constantine proclaimed Roman Emperor

Mary marries Phillip of Spain 1554

James proclaimed King of England 1603

Nelson loses right arm at battle of Tenerife 1797

Bleriot crosses the Channel 1909

Mussolini deposed 1943

51 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bleriot crosses the Channel 1909

Being an aviation enthusiast, Louis Bleriot is a particular hero of mine.

Apparently the Wright Brothers didn't like Bleriot, or rather were jealous of him due to the media attention and praise he got for the channel crossing. The Wright Brothers didn't understand all the attention around it because they'd made loads of flights that were a lot longer than the distance across the channel and being American they didn't understand the significance of crossing the channel.

If I remember rightly, the newspaper headlines at the time said, "Britain is no longer an island!" because of course before the flight you could only get here by sea and that made Britain basically a fortress due to the power and ability of the Royal Navy to defend our shores. It actually worried a lot of people that suddenly people could just hop over here in a fraction of the time it took a ship, missing out all the defences in the process.

Bleriot's flight vastly highlighted the potentials of using flight and made government's sit up and see how it could be used militarily thus massively, like I say to quickly access even the most inaccessible places, accelerating the development of aircraft as governments began to scramble to put together airforces. Of course planes were attached to the other services to start with before the RAF became the first purposefully formed airforce in 1918. 

Essentially this one flight sped up aircraft development by a couple of decades with the money governments were suddenly pumping into it and the Wright Brothers thought crossing a 25 mile channel wasn't noteworthy! 🤔

• Like 2

Strap in, this is a biggie 😃

Happy Birthday to

George Bernard Shaw 1856, Carl Jung 1875, Aldous Huxley 1894, Gracie Allen 1895, Blake Edwards 1922, Jan Berenstain 1923, Stanley Kubrick 1928, Mick Jagger 1943, Helen Mirren 1945, Roger Taylor 1949, Susan George 1950, Kevin Spacey 1959, Sandra Bullock 1964, Jason Statham 1967, Tanni Grey-Thompson 1969, Kate Beckinsale 1973, Liz Truss 1975, Jacinda Ardern 1980, And my Daughter in Law (to be) 1991.

Passed away on this day, 

Pope Paul II 1471, Eva Peron 1952, Mary Wells 1992, Olivia De Haviland 2020

Battle of Edgecote ( Oxfordshire ) 1469 . Royalist forces under the Earls of Pembroke and Devon against forces led by Warwick the Kingmaker  . 

Premier of Wagner’s Parsifal at Bayreuth 1889 

First V2 hits London 1944

Soviet forces enter Lviv . 300 Jews from prewar 160,000 survive . 1944

Indianapolis arrives at Tinian with Hiroshima bomb warhead 1945

Potsdam declaration signed 1945 . It called for the total surrender of Japan or it would face complete destruction 

Labour declared General Election victor 1945 . It took three weeks to decide with all of the service votes 

CIA comes into being 1947

Nasser nationalised Suez Canal 1956

Yeltsin orders removal of troops from Estonia 1994

On this day in 1579, Francis Drake discovers San Francisco Bay. 

On this day in 1745, the first recorded women's cricket match takes place near Guildford. 

On this day in 1953, Fidel Castro leads an unsuccessful attack on the Moncada Barracks, the event that marks the start of the Cuban Revolution. The revolutionary group took its name from this date, the 26th of July Movement. 

On this day in 1689 the battle of Killiecrankie was fought . The only two survivors were a little dwarf woman who was disguised as a boy , and a man with curly hair . 

1694 Bank of England gets royal charter 

Robespierre arrested 1794

Welsh settlers arrive in Argentina … Lucky Argentina 1865

Van Gogh shoots himself 1890

Kaiser Wilhelm calls Germans Huns . It sticks . 1900

Tich Freeman becomes the only bowler ever to take 200 first class wickets before end of July 1928

Geneva Convention 1929

Bugs Bunny arrives ! 1940

Axis advance into Egypt halted 1942

De Haviland Comet flies 1949

Fighting in Korean War ends 1953

House votes to impeach Nixon 1974

First salvage expedition of the Titanic 1987

Belarus declares independence 1990

Atlanta bombing 1996

Loads of good stuff today

1956 England cricket spin bowler Jim Laker takes 9-37 in Australia's 1st innings in 4th Test at Manchester; best return ever in Test cricket; bettered in 2nd innings 10-53.

1990 Graham ###### scores 333 v India at Lord's.

2012 The opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London. 

1214 The Battle of Bouvines - once called the most important battle in English history that no-one has ever heard of

1377 First example of quarantine in Dubroknik, the city council passes law saying newcomers from plague areas must isolate for 30 days.

1586 Sir Walter Raleigh brought the first tobacco to England, from Virginia.