If Old Trafford couldn't host...

Its looking likely in the near to mid future that Old Trafford will be significantly redeveloped by Manchester United. During that time its likely that both Man U and the SL Grand Final would have to find temporary new homes. We've seen that when OT wasn't available for the no fans Final, Hull was chosen as a replacement, but I wouldn't expect it to be in the running when fans are able to go.

Where would you take it?

All scenarios open, OT could take 3 years to knock down and rebuild etc.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Its looking likely in the near to mid future that Old Trafford will be significantly redeveloped by Manchester United. During that time its likely that both Man U and the SL Grand Final would have to find temporary new homes. We've seen that when OT wasn't available for the no fans Final, Hull was chosen as a replacement, but I wouldn't expect it to be in the running when fans are able to go.

Where would you take it?

Assuming the early evening kick off is set in stone then, for realism's sake, it has to be a ground that's along the M62 corridor.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Where would you take it?

Etihad seems to be the obvious choice, needs to be kept in the "heartlands" no where east of the Pennines suitable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Etihad seems to be the obvious choice, needs to be kept in the "heartlands" no where east of the Pennines suitable.

I agree that the Etihad is the obvious choice and would mean changing the least

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Assuming the early evening kick off is set in stone then, for realism's sake, it has to be a ground that's along the M62 corridor.

Perhaps you change the kick off time then?

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Perhaps you change the kick off time then?

Perhaps.

But people like the kick off time and it fits well around Sky's schedule and the fact that the football season is underway.

So I don't think it's something that will be changed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Perhaps.

But people like the kick off time and it fits well around Sky's schedule and the fact that the football season is underway.

So I don't think it's something that will be changed.

I do think the game being at night really adds to that gladiatorial feel and the atmosphere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anfield will hold 61,000 by some point in 2023-2024, so will be bigger than the Etihad. I’m not sure what the hospitality is like at either, which could play a part in any decision. 

I would probably go with either of those given a week’s notice is probably as big as any set of fans get to organise travel and it might be a bit of a stretch to organise travel to a Cardiff, London or Newcastle in that period. 

Etihad safe bet, but may I suggest Hampden Park make a weekend of it... Something different

Play wheelchair grand final, women's grand final, championship grand final and SL final over 2 days

Edited by Henson Park Old Firm

Just now, Dave T said:

Etihad, without question.

Likely end up with Elland Road triple header with Women and Championship.

Wheelchair final played on the road outside *at the same time*.

• Haha 3

While Anfield will be a larger stadium by that point I would also say the Etihad. It would be in the same city as normal, more central in the heartlands than Anfield, a more modern facility, more accessible from the city centre and public transport links. And the leg room at Anfield is just horrendous. 

• Like 4

Etihad or the redeveloped Anfield. Really you want a 60k+ stadium fairly local and they will be the only two that ticks the box in the North.

If we wanted to be adventurous I think the Millennium Stadium would work well for the Grand Final, and I think it would sell well in Wales, but it would be a risk and would take more of a push from the RFL than we normally see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Etihad or the redeveloped Anfield. Really you want a 60k+ stadium fairly local and they will be the only two that ticks the box in the North.

If we wanted to be adventurous I think the Millennium Stadium would work well for the Grand Final, and I think it would sell well in Wales, but it would be a risk and would take more of a push from the RFL than we normally see.

I think it's a real shame the game hasn't found a place for Cardiff. The game has done pretty well in that stadium. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think it's a real shame the game hasn't found a place for Cardiff. The game has done pretty well in that stadium. 

I do like the idea of moving it elsewhere than Manchester to spread the event but its a risk too. Cardiff, with its rich RL history and roots, is the only place I'd consider for that really. As I said it a gamble but I think it could work well there.

The Etihad is the safe option but ultimately that's just keeping it in Manchester. Nothing wrong with that but it is an opportunity to try elsewhere too.

• Like 1

I do like the idea of moving it elsewhere than Manchester to spread the event but its a risk too. Cardiff, with its rich RL history and roots, is the only place I'd consider for that really. As I said it a gamble but I think it could work well there.

The Etihad is the safe option but ultimately that's just keeping it in Manchester. Nothing wrong with that but it is an opportunity to try elsewhere too.

Pretty sure Cardiff doesn’t have RL “roots” mate. 🤷‍♂️ We’ve tried and failed to get RL going there, multiple times.  Union all the way there boyo.

Newcastle is commutable for fans of the finalists with an 8pm finish. 52,300

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

Pretty sure Cardiff doesn’t have RL “roots” mate. 🤷‍♂️ We’ve tried and failed to get RL going there, multiple times.  Union all the way there boyo.

People I have played RL with and against from Cardiff must have been a figment of my imagination then.

I'd go 3 different venues for the 3 years (if thats how long it takes).. Cardiff, Etihad and the new Everton stadium.. job done.

• Like 1