If Old Trafford couldn't host...

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

With a week's notice of the finalists, anyone other than the Etihad would be barmy. Wouldn't hold my breath on the Old Trafford redevelopment anyway, mind.

I agree. However, there's no guarantee Man City would be interested - they don't need the cash and it is during the football season.

Our long relationship with Manchester United really helps with getting the OT gig in October and WC gigs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I agree. However, there's no guarantee Man City would be interested - they don't need the cash and it is during the football season.

Our long relationship with Manchester United really helps with getting the OT gig in October and WC gigs.

Availability isn't a worry as such as it always falls on international weekend. However, the tough sell would be that City usually host a women's game at the Etihad that weekend and they might see it as damaging to their PR for the women's team to be shunted out in favour of men's rugby.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ah yes, lets dismiss 100 years of history due to one person's post about encountering hostility.

I mean its not like you get people in all sports that are hostile to each other. It is also just as likely that the person you cite encountered hostility from a Wrexham Football fan.

Who's dismissing 100 years of history?  Your experience with a fairly modest number of players from Cardiff doesn't mean that resentment against RL for weakening the Welsh RU national team back in the day doesn't exist among the broader Welsh public, not by any means.

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Who's dismissing 100 years of history?  Your experience with a fairly modest number of players from Cardiff doesn't mean that resentment against RL for weakening the Welsh RU national team back in the day doesn't exist among the broader Welsh public, not by any means.

When the cup final was in Cardiff in 2003, 2004 and 2005 there was a significant take up of tickets from South Wales if I remember the reporting correctly. All 3 topped 71k.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Well that's a heck of a presumption to make.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

When the cup final was in Cardiff in 2003, 2004 and 2005 and there was a significant take up of tickets from South Wales if I remember the reporting correctly. All 3 topped 71k.

And they weren't club wembley boosted 71ks either

• Like 2

Would those in the "etihad is the obvious choice" mindset (which I fully agree with), change their mind or consider a different location if there was a two week run up between the semis and the final?

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

Pretty sure Cardiff doesn’t have RL “roots” mate. 🤷‍♂️ We’ve tried and failed to get RL going there, multiple times.  Union all the way there boyo.

Pretty sure Cardiff/Wales has far more roots in the game than London does...you know the place we hold a final at every year.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Would those in the "etihad is the obvious choice" mindset (which I fully agree with), change their mind or consider a different location if there was a two week run up between the semis and the final?

Depends on the accessibility of the new venue. If it's miles away from the heartlands (and I'd be tempted to include Newcastle in that given how much trains cost from the north west) then forget it.

57 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Maybe @Damiendoesn't remember the time one member here posted on a thread about Wales that one time in Wrexham he encountered hostility from locals when they discovered that he's a follower of this great game.  Evidently there's a degree of resentment toward RL among the Welsh, probably due to the way the luring of Welsh RU players weakened the Welsh national team in the one sport where Wales has one of the top national teams in the sport.

34 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I reckon I spend more time with Welsh RU fans/players than most on this site (unless you're actually from Wales?) and I can say that just isn't the case! There's no resentment from the Welsh - at worst they're slightly mocking of how it isn't 'proper rugby' - but equally very respectful of the physicality and fitness required to play. They know this because many have had spells over the summer or at Uni playing the game. I think you're harking back to the 70s/80s when maybe there was a bit of animosity over the payment of players - we're nearly 40 years on from that. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 9

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Depends on the accessibility of the new venue. If it's miles away from the heartlands (and I'd be tempted to include Newcastle in that given how much trains cost from the north west) then forget it.

I suppose realistically it is looking at Newcastle, Cardiff or London as alternatives. 

Liverpool will have a slightly revamped Anfield and even Everton's new ground could be considered. A new Elland road is on the cards too even.

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No. That would still be too rushed to organise travel anywhere further afield IMO. In a future where the GF is less dominated by fans of the two clubs with more neutrals in attendance, or if we were likely to have two Grand Finalists from Yorkshire, Newcastle may be more of a possibility. But I can't see either of those happening any time soon. 

Would it? The challenge cup final is what, 3 weeks later than the semis this year and we keep being told how the vast majority of tickets are bought in the first week anyway?

50 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yes. I think that moves it into "somewhere mainstream outside the north" territory.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Personally I am so cynical of the Glazer's motives, that when I hear talk of expanding OT, I can only feel it will come about with substantial FA/govt grants for some World Cup or is just jam for tomorrow to placate their disgruntled supporters.

Second given ad pop up regularly urging me of all people to buy tickets for Citeh's home games, then I doubt expansion is needed. Unless it is further sportswashing, etc.

My options though would be -

Etihad, Ainfield, St James', the new Everton or take a risk and hold it in either London or yup south of France!

Croke Park Dublin or Celtic Park Glasgow should also be considered IF the grand final has to me moved from OT. Croke park would be my choice and holds over 82,000 and Dublin is great place for a weekend as well.

Celtic Park hold just over 60,000 and can done there and back in a day from Northern England, but if i went there i would travel up on the day of the grand final and stay overnight returning Sunday

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Croke Park Dublin or Celtic Park Glasgow should also be considered IF the grand final has to me moved from OT. Croke park would be my choice and holds over 82,000 and Dublin is great place for a weekend as well.

Celtic Park hold just over 60,000 and can done there and back in a day from Northern England, but if i went there i would travel up on the day of the grand final and stay overnight returning Sunday

Can’t wait for the RL fans who complain about London beer prices to hit Temple Bar,is there parking for the Leigh supporters bus ?

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

You get 7 days notice for the GF

Manchester United have no alternative ground options if a full rebuild is decided, so that is unlikely to happen.

IF they decide to redevelop then it will be at a leisurely pace and unlikely to diminish significantly the ground capacity in the meantime.

If the ground continues to fit an average Man United crowd then it can certainly fit a GF one.

But personally I would nevertheless prefer the Etihad - much better stadium and with a campus about to feature the  RFL's next generation  Headquarters.

Ah Croke Park.

Its a tremendous stadium and the views are excellent in any part of the ground.. You can just about walk keenly from Temple Bar to the place. 

However, aside from the difficulties/expense of booking to go there within a week, the attitude once ensconced in the GAA's Rule 42 which forbid "Foreign" games like RL being played there is still strong.

I mean it isn't even a clear given that Croker will be used for the RU World Cup, even given the astonishing amounts of money that would be exchanged. 

A great idea, but not hugely practical sadly. 

Anyone wanting to bite my idea of a French based final?