2022 World Cup Squads

Not sure if this thread is too early to begin discussing but Fiji have just named their initial 50-man training squad for the World Cup. Plenty of stars from both SL and NRL included in the squad. Only notable eligible player that isn't named here as far as I can see is Reagan Campbell-Gillard, not surprising though as he previously turned down playing for Fiji at the '17 WC only to later take the field when selected for Australia.

Apisai Koroisau, Joe Lovodua, Penioni Tagituimua, Tariq Sims, Viliame Kikau, King Vuniyayawa, Lamar Manuel Liolevave, Jacob Saifiti, Daniel Saifiti, Korbin Sims, Tui Kamikamica, Kane Evans, Joseph Vakacereivalu, Taniela Sadrugu, Tikiko Noke, Lasarusa Tabu, Jason Tigarea, William Eyre, Penaia Nadakuni, Tevita Satae, Kaylen Miller, Maika Serulevu, Kevin Naiqama, Marcelo Montoya, Isaac Lumlume, Vuate Karawalevu, Maika Sivo, Semi Valemei, Vereyti Peceli, Waqa Blake, Taane Milne, Mikaele Ravalawa, Pio Maisamoa Seci, Braydon Wakeham, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Kurt Donoghoe, Ilaitia Moceidreke, Joeli Baleilevuka, Amenatave Bakabaka, Wilson Tabuya, Marika Turagaiviu, Ethan Robinson, Waqasaqa Qiolevu, Jason Qareqare, Inoke Vasuturaga, Iosefo Masi, Mesake Kurikitoga, Sunia Turuva, Netani Masima, Neville Fiu

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Pretty impressive squad from a country of less than one million. What are the qualification rules? Parents/grandparents nationality?

Having a quick scan over that squad I'm estimating anywhere between 30-35 were born in Fiji, though I'm not certain on a few of them. 

Now that I've had a look a bit closer there's actually a few more domestic products playing reserves in Australia that haven't been included which is slightly surprising. Fiji have named large train on squads before without confirming player commitments so I'm sure this could change.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

A few notable omissions off the top of my head: Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Eels), Ben Nakubuwai (Leigh), Junior Ratuva (Warriors/Dolphins), Solomone Naiduki (Eels NSW Cup).

Naiduki and Ratuva were the two I was thinking of in reserves, not that they're likely to get a start but I'm surprised to not see them included in a 50 man squad especially as young up and comers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Naiduki and Ratuva were the two I was thinking of in reserves, not that they're likely to get a start but I'm surprised to not see them included in a 50 man squad especially as young up and comers.

Agreed, I get they can only have so many wingers but regular NSW/QLD Cup starters born in Fiji like Naiduki & Ratuva probably deserve a spot in front some of the others there. I can’t even find any info on some of those players.

Strange they wouldn’t name RCG even if he is odds on to get selected for Aus, maybe he has opted out? Nakubuwai equally as puzzling.

23 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Agreed, I get they can only have so many wingers but regular NSW/QLD Cup starters born in Fiji like Naiduki & Ratuva probably deserve a spot in front some of the others there. I can’t even find any info on some of those players.

Strange they wouldn’t name RCG even if he is odds on to get selected for Aus, maybe he has opted out? Nakubuwai equally as puzzling.

I suspect RCG might be in the never again basket after he turned them down to have a full offseason and then played for Australia after he got called into their squad once someone else pulled out.

I'm not sure how thoroughly Fiji consider the selections in this type of squad though to be honest, I remember in 2017 I believe they named Michael Jennings in another 50 man squad without asking him even though he was fully committed to the Tonga cause already.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I like the fact they didn't. Much better to concentrate on those that want to play for Fiji instead of chasing those that have already turned them down and decided to play elsewhere.

• Like 2

So, the complex world of State of Origin and international eligibility comes into focus as the NSW squad for game has been announced.

It is a squad that contains 106 international caps - 33 for Australia and 73 for other nations.  The breakdown of the players is below.

Players with Kangaroo caps only

Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)

Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)

Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Players with Kangaroo caps and another nation

Tyson Frizell (Newcastle Knights) - Australia & Wales

Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels) - Australia & Fiji

James Tedesco, capt. (Sydney Roosters) - Australia & Italy

Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters) - Australia & Tonga

Players only capped by another nation

Api Koroisau (Penrith Panthers) - Fiji

Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels) - Samoa

Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle Knights) - Fiji

Jarome Luai (Penrith Panthers) - Samoa

Tariq Sims (St. George-Illawarra Dragons) - Fiji

Kotoni Staggs (Brisbane Broncos) - Tonga

Brian To’o (Penrith Panthers) - Samoa

Uncapped players

Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)

Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)

Nicho Hynes (Cronulla Sharks)

Liam Martin (Penrith Panthers)

Ryan Matterson (Parramatta Eels)

Joseph Suaalii (Sydney Roosters)

Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)

• Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As seen in those Origin squads Tom Trbojevic's season ending injury is probably bad news for Tonga or Samoa unless Staggs/Crichton reject Australia which they may well do. Gagai and Holmes are other genuine options in fairness and a good series for Qld could see them picked first anyway I suppose.

5 minutes ago, UTK said:

As seen in those Origin squads Tom Trbojevic's season ending injury is probably bad news for Tonga or Samoa unless Staggs/Crichton reject Australia which they may well do. Gagai and Holmes are other genuine options in fairness and a good series for Qld could see them picked first anyway I suppose.

As mentioned in another thread, the Origin eligibility states.

To qualify for State of Origin you must be eligible and elect to play for Australia and have not represented another Tier 1 Nation at Senior Level (England/New Zealand).

How enforceable all of this is is debatable but being in the NSW squad has them electing to play for Australia. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As mentioned in another thread, the Origin eligibility states.

To qualify for State of Origin you must be eligible and elect to play for Australia and have not represented another Tier 1 Nation at Senior Level (England/New Zealand).

How enforceable all of this is is debatable but being in the NSW squad has them electing to play for Australia. 

So if you intend to play for a Pacific Island in the WC do you tell them and you’re scrubbed out for origin selection?  And what  happens at seasons end if some of those selected don’t get picked for Australia and play for Tonga , Samoa etc or just decide before the WC to play for one of them ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So if you intend to play for a Pacific Island in the WC do you tell them and you’re scrubbed out for origin selection?  And what  happens at seasons end if some of those selected don’t get picked for Australia and play for Tonga , Samoa etc or just decide before the WC to play for one of them ?

Exactly, all far too complicated. 

If they are not selected for Australia then I assume they are free to play for their other eligible nation.

Would that mean that Australia have to name their squad first!

If they make it known they are turning their back on Australia after playing Origin then I guess that rules them out for next year.

• Like 1

Obviously playing for Tonga isn't THAT important to Tupou and Staggs.

And all the reps from Fiji and Samoa.

Rather dispiriting to see players who have played for these countries electing for Australia so that they can pull on an Origin jumper. It speaks to the regard for internationals pushed by those in control.

You hear players saying how excited and dedicated they are. Committing to the mid-season games would do a lot to flip the script and show that internationals are the pinnacle. 

I can understand the pressures that come on players from media and the NRL, but I still find it disappointing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Obviously playing for Tonga isn't THAT important to Tupou and Staggs.

And all the reps from Fiji and Samoa.

Rather dispiriting to see players who have played for these countries electing for Australia so that they can pull on an Origin jumper. It speaks to the regard for internationals pushed by those in control.

You hear players saying how excited and dedicated they are. Committing to the mid-season games would do a lot to flip the script and show that internationals are the pinnacle. 

I can understand the pressures that come on players from media and the NRL, but I still find it disappointing.

I don't disagree that it is disappointing that they are not going to play for their previous nations.

But we have to remember that every one of those players that have played for heritage nations were born and brought up in Australia so representing the Kangaroos must be a draw as well.

The exception is Junior Paulo (Samoan international) who was born in New Zealand.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't disagree that it is disappointing that they are not going to play for their previous nations.

But we have to remember that every one of those players that have played for heritage nations were born and brought up in Australia so representing the Kangaroos must be a draw as well.

The exception is Junior Paulo (Samoan international) who was born in New Zealand.

I would feel much less disappointed if Australia were playing and they chose the Green and Golds over their heritage nations.

This though damages and undermines international credibility, and allows people to dismiss these mid-season games as not very important.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Exactly, all far too complicated. 

If they are not selected for Australia then I assume they are free to play for their other eligible nation.

Would that mean that Australia have to name their squad first!

If they make it known they are turning their back on Australia after playing Origin then I guess that rules them out for next year.

I consider it only correct that Australia has first call - or makes it that way - on Australian Nationals, after all they are providing approx 70% of the participants in the WC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I consider it only correct that Australia has first call - or makes it that way - on Australian Nationals, after all they are providing approx 70% of the participants in the WC.

Where do you get that 70% figure from? It seems awfully high considering some countries will have none or barely any then others will have a fair few of New Zealand and UK nationality.

Edited by Damien

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Where do you get that 70% figure from? It seems awfully high considering some countries will have none or barely any then others will have a fair few of New Zealand and UK nationality.

Read it somewhere Damien about 2/3 years ago prior to the '21 comp, it said Australia could have up to 70% of it's born nationals playing in the WC.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes. perhaps.

It wouldn't rub me the wrong way were it a direct choice between the two countries. Origin though is essentially being used as a bargaining chip to dissuade people from playing internationals for countries already represented.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

It might be slightly high but not awfully high.  Seven of the 16 teams will be all or almost all Aussies: Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.  Two more (Ireland and Scotland) will be at least half Aussies and Wales will have a few Aussies too.  Only England, France, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Cook Islands and might conceivably have none at all and it might be that only England, France and Jamaica are without any Aussies.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It might be slightly high but not awfully high.  Seven of the 16 teams will be all or almost all Aussies: Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.  Two more (Ireland and Scotland) will be at least half Aussies and Wales will have a few Aussies too.  Only England, France, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Cook Islands and might conceivably have none at all and it might be that only England, France and Jamaica are without any Aussies.

I highly doubt that Ged Corcoran will be picking a half-Aussie squad. He's said that he's only planning on selecting players who want to/are willing to represent Ireland outside of World Cups.

• Like 1