2022 World Cup Squads

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It might be slightly high but not awfully high.  Seven of the 16 teams will be all or almost all Aussies: Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.  Two more (Ireland and Scotland) will be at least half Aussies and Wales will have a few Aussies too.  Only England, France, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Cook Islands and might conceivably have none at all and it might be that only England, France and Jamaica are without any Aussies.

From the the last two Samoan games played, 10 of the players were born in Australia and 15 in New Zealand (2 in Samoa) so the majority were New Zealand born, not Australian.

It is more difficult to see nationally but at worst the 15 New Zealand born players will be dual nationality.

When I have a little time I will have as look at the Tongan and Fijian ones.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

It might be slightly high but not awfully high.  Seven of the 16 teams will be all or almost all Aussies: Australia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.  Two more (Ireland and Scotland) will be at least half Aussies and Wales will have a few Aussies too.  Only England, France, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Cook Islands and might conceivably have none at all and it might be that only England, France and Jamaica are without any Aussies.

You have comprehensively disputed your own point there.

in addition Fiji have plenty of Fijians, Tonga plenty of Kiwis, Samoa will have plenty of non Aussies and in particular Kiwis. I'd be amazed if Ireland and Scotland don't have more English players than Aussies too.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

I suspect the 70% figure is the proportion of World Cup players that will be coming from the NRL rather than actual Australian nationals.

Edited by Dunbar
Spelling
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I suspect the 70% figure is the promotion of World Cup players will be coming from the NRL rather than actual Australian nationals.

That would make much more sense. It does sound like the kind of figure the NRL would spout to justify their 'we own international RL and can do as we please' stance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As mentioned in another thread, the Origin eligibility states.

To qualify for State of Origin you must be eligible and elect to play for Australia and have not represented another Tier 1 Nation at Senior Level (England/New Zealand).

How enforceable all of this is is debatable but being in the NSW squad has them electing to play for Australia. 

I think there's clarity in the International "election" rules that states a player will only be deemed to have elected for a nation when they have been named in the gameday squad for an official international. 

So even though at the present these guys have "elected" to play for Australia in accordance with the Origin rules they have made no confirming election for international eligibility. The only potential issue is the mid-season test as that would theoretically rule out players from Origin selection in game three, but obviously most would be playing in the Origin squad anyway.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't disagree that it is disappointing that they are not going to play for their previous nations.

But we have to remember that every one of those players that have played for heritage nations were born and brought up in Australia so representing the Kangaroos must be a draw as well.

The exception is Junior Paulo (Samoan international) who was born in New Zealand.

Not quite.

Stephen Crichton - Samoa

Jeremiah Nanai, Murray Taulagi, Josh Papalii, Junior Paulo - NZ

All moved to Australia before age 13 to be eligible for Origin but definitely more than one.

Edit: Misread it, Josh Papalii has played for Samoa though and there’s a very high chance Nanai & Crichton will at some point throughout their careers as well. Not sure about Taulagi whether he is eligible for any Island nations.

Edited by jim_57

1 hour ago, UTK said:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/468138/stoush-blamed-on-exclusion-of-silktails-players-from-fiji-world-cup-squad

Must admit because clubs weren't listed in the release I read I didn't actually notice that no Silktails had been selected here. Bit of a concern that the FNRL doesn't recognise them now.

That article is typical Rugby League.

The quote by FNRL seems to say the dispute is because the Silktails are funded by PacificSportsAus and are therefor an “Australian Project”.

At least at this stage the Fiji Bati will probably be too strong for any Ron Massey Cup players so it’s a moot point but still not good.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2022 at 14:51, StandOffHalf said:

Obviously playing for Tonga isn't THAT important to Tupou and Staggs.

And all the reps from Fiji and Samoa.

Rather dispiriting to see players who have played for these countries electing for Australia so that they can pull on an Origin jumper. It speaks to the regard for internationals pushed by those in control.

You hear players saying how excited and dedicated they are. Committing to the mid-season games would do a lot to flip the script and show that internationals are the pinnacle. 

I can understand the pressures that come on players from media and the NRL, but I still find it disappointing.

I think this is harsh. Players like Tupou and Staggs in many ways are being given a very poor choice. 1 game for Tonga v 3 for NSW this season. Additionally after this season they will have no mid season internationals at all to play. What incentive really is for them not to pick NSW this year? I'm sure both will stick with Tonga for the World Cup.

The blame for this lies entirely with the NRL for destroying mid season international Rugby League to preserve SOO:

The pair were unsure what they will do if forced to decide between playing for the Blues in Origin II on June 26 or representing their heritage in the Test at Mt Smart Stadium on June 25.

After earning his first Origin jersey, Staggs may opt to keep his World Cup options open by committing to NSW as players who pull on a Test jersey during the upcoming representative round will be tied to that country for the World Cup.  

However, Tupou reaffirmed his commitment to Tonga for the end-of-season World Cup in England.

“My heart is with Tonga but whatever opportunity arises I’ll definitely capitalise on it then,” Tupou said.

“That’s for another time to talk to Freddy, I’ll hear what he has to say, and we’ll go from there. I’ll still play for Tonga in the World Cup.”

Tupou has previously made seven appearances for NSW, including the 2020 series, but Staggs said playing Origin had been a childhood dream for him.

“I’ve played for Tonga and that is pretty close to me, but I just couldn’t give this opportunity up,” Staggs said. “I am grateful and honoured to be able to be in the position I am in.

“I’ll make the right decision when that comes. I haven’t made any decisions yet. I have got to be injury free first. Before Origin II there are a lot of games for my club.

“There is the World Cup at the end of the year as well and that is another thing. My decision will come at the end of the year and I will make the right decision.”

NRL 2022: State of Origin, NSW Blues, Tonga, Daniel Tupou, Kotoni Staggs, Pacific Test, World Cup, pair to choose between state and nation - NRL

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, obviously I blame the NRL for scuttling and belittling internationals a lot more than I do individual players. The players who have to choose are in an invidious position. Tupou and Staggs are though now eligible to be picked by Meninga for Oz. They have had to choose between playing a test match and between an Origin squad, and chose the latter.

I'm not going to lie; I find that dispiriting and disappointing. Of course, it is exactly what the NRL want - to whittle awy and undermine prestige.

• Like 1