Whitehaven (H)

Wakefield Ram

6 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Worrying. Have a good night mate.

Yeah it's been a long disappointing day for us all, honestly expected a win today... Maybe we've all aimed our sights a little too high🤔

The higher the expectation, the greater the disappointment 

If we go next week expecting to be hammered 🤔

We won't be disappointed when we do 🤔

Is that how it really works 🤔

Nope 🤔

We'll just be deflated again🤔

Nite all ☹️

Having had the chance to sleep and reflect on yesterdays game. 
it was an improvement on previous weeks,I don’t think Thaler was the reason the game was lost like any other game sometimes things go against you and it’s how you respond to set backs is what decides results. 
I still feel we lack a couple of leaders in the team in both playing and leadership.
I only see the possibility of 3/4 winnable games left 

London home

workington away

Batley home

Newcastle away 

after that I think we are struggling,a loss on Sunday and it really is paddling up stream. 
A new coach from the outside this group is required ASAP has I still think shirts are guaranteed for some players whilst others have been thrown under the bus.That’s fine so long has the regulars are winning the games like yesterday that leads you to safety but they haven’t.  

Edited by Outside view
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Outside view said:

Having had the chance to sleep and reflect on yesterdays game. 
it was an improvement on previous weeks,I don’t think Thaler was the reason the game was lost like any other game sometimes things go against you and it’s how you respond to set backs is what decides results. 
I still feel we lack a couple of leaders in the team in both playing and leadership.
I only see the possibility of 3/4 winnable games left 

London home

workington away

Batley home

Newcastle away 

after that I think we are struggling,a loss on Sunday and it really is paddling up stream. 
A new coach from the outside this group is required ASAP has I still think shirts are guaranteed for some players whilst others have been thrown under the bus.That’s fine so long has the regulars are winning the games like yesterday that leads you to safety but they haven’t.  

I'm not sure which players who would come in and make the difference. Brad Graham, Robson Stevens, Jake Sweeting?

The reason why we struggle is lack of creativity at half back. Beharrel and Sykes rarely run, so the defence can just concentrate on the runners. This was the same with Liam Finn last season. 

And I very rarely if ever criticise refs, but Thaler could have binned a few Whitehaven players. There was a trip on Beharrel and a couple of late tackles on him and Alex Smith was obstructed over the line chasing a grubber kick. Whilst Butterworth's bin was nailed on, think Sykes was no worse than any of the Haven ones Thaler chose to ignore, but he couldn't get his card out fast enough. Thaler practically ran off the pitch at the end, not waiting for the touch judges.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

4 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I'm not sure which players who would come in and make the difference. Brad Graham, Robson Stevens, Jake Sweeting?

The reason why we struggle is lack of creativity at half back. Beharrel and Sykes rarely run, so the defence can just concentrate on the runners. This was the same with Liam Finn last season. 

And I very rarely if ever criticise refs, but Thaler could have binned a few Whitehaven players. There was a trip on Beharrel and a couple of late tackles on him and Alex Smith was obstructed over the line chasing a grubber kick. Whilst Butterworth's bin was nailed on, think Sykes was no worse than any of the Haven ones Thaler chose to ignore, but he couldn't get his card out fast enough. Thaler practically ran off the pitch at the end, not waiting for the touch judges.

Personally I don’t think any of the players mentioned would immediately improve the team,all the players mentioned are inexperienced at this level but given time they have the potential to be better with a run of games.sending them out to impress against Leigh featherstone Halifax etc is hanging them out to dry. Alternatively what has happened is we revert to Sykes,Knowles etc who should be retired or playing at the local amateur club that have no improvement left in them and are sadly a shadow of the players they were.

I said at the start of the season that if your a club with no money to invest then you have to invest in youth and have a long term plan,playing younger players is brave has you will lose a lot and mistakes will be made but you will reap the rewards down the line if you show confidence in them. 

back to the ref and imo he got the big calls right. Butterworth no question deserved the yellow. Sykes although I couldn’t see how the ball moved about looked to have pulled back the chaser you could argue it could also have been a penalty try. Thaler absolutely hammered Whitehaven in the first half I can’t say has I saw Beharrell tripped he may well have been but I never saw it neither did I see anyone hit late so I’ll take your word on it. I did see a shoulder charge from Greensmith on the hooter that may well get looked at again. 

450 it's about time we did  a Batley with embarrassing atts. put "not given" in the newspaper.We can't even wash the seats in the north stand and you have to walk over bird mess. The scoreboard,how bad does it look- all season. If it's not going to be fixed,let's have village one ,with a few nails and tiles with numbers on.As for a new coach, not a easy choice, Mark got the last one very wrong.

I disagree .. in my opinion all the last 3 coaches had their qualities and all had at least one decent (ish) season ... the problem we have is that with the lack of finance available to strengthen the squad we are left with the motivational ability of the coach ... as their tenure progresses they lose their drive and the motivational tactics they initially used with success no longer work... then its just a cycle of failure .... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Outside view said:

Personally I don’t think any of the players mentioned would immediately improve the team,all the players mentioned are inexperienced at this level but given time they have the potential to be better with a run of games.sending them out to impress against Leigh featherstone Halifax etc is hanging them out to dry. Alternatively what has happened is we revert to Sykes,Knowles etc who should be retired or playing at the local amateur club that have no improvement left in them and are sadly a shadow of the players they were.

I said at the start of the season that if your a club with no money to invest then you have to invest in youth and have a long term plan,playing younger players is brave has you will lose a lot and mistakes will be made but you will reap the rewards down the line if you show confidence in them. 

back to the ref and imo he got the big calls right. Butterworth no question deserved the yellow. Sykes although I couldn’t see how the ball moved about looked to have pulled back the chaser you could argue it could also have been a penalty try. Thaler absolutely hammered Whitehaven in the first half I can’t say has I saw Beharrell tripped he may well have been but I never saw it neither did I see anyone hit late so I’ll take your word on it. I did see a shoulder charge from Greensmith on the hooter that may well get looked at again. 

Absolutely bang on the money comments. The game has moved on. Some of the old donkeys haven’t.

• Like 1

Once again we lost out on the refereeing decisions. We had 2 players sin binned for professional fouls but disciplinary panel say no further action. Whitehaven player received 2 match ban for a deliberate trip but no sin bin at the time. A ban for future games does us no favours but 2 sin bins probably cost us the game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KC Ram said:

Once again we lost out on the refereeing decisions. We had 2 players sin binned for professional fouls but disciplinary panel say no further action. Whitehaven player received 2 match ban for a deliberate trip but no sin bin at the time. A ban for future games does us no favours but 2 sin bins probably cost us the game.

Yes I saw the blatant trip, but apparently neither Thaler nor his 2 TJs saw it. Should have been sin bin, but Thaler kept his cards in his pocket for Whitehaven. 

On 05/06/2022 at 21:33, horbury ram said:

So what's the opinion  as regards Mr thaler now..... Still the chosen one, he is in our league for a reason , not right good , doesn't t like us, join james vella, James Smith and the rest 

ive always found Mr. Thaler to be a strong firm fair referee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KC Ram said:

Understand the supporter frustration aspect of such on field developments. Huddersfield must have felt same regarding Smithies incidents during the CC final. Sometimes it is just how the cookie crumbles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ginaldo said:

ive always found Mr. Thaler to be a strong firm fair referee

Agreed. As I previously stated on this board I class him as a good friend. But believe me like all of us he is far from perfect. Ben loves the game and he respects every player etc. But he will not stand for any ######. I was present at his professional debut Hunslet Hawks v Thornhill Trojans in the challenge cup. He has some good and bad games.

• Like 2