Sweet Caroline

If anyone from the RFL, SLE, IMG or any other RL and general sports bodies and clubs happen to read this

Can you please put Sweet Caroline in a bin and find some new material.

It's become the epitome of tedium now, I must have heard it at least 4 times yesterday, I hear at it just about every sports event I go to, I hear it on TV/radio adverts and any thing that's sports, drinking, betting related.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but I'm afraid I am when it comes to this song which for some reason unknown all has become and unofficial national anthem in the last 12-18 months.

Cheers.

PS- please don't replace it with glad all over or country roads either, thanks again 🙂 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, meast said:

If anyone from the RFL, SLE, IMG or any other RL and general sports bodies and clubs happen to read this

It's become the epitome of tedium now, I must have heard it at least 4 times yesterday, I hear at it just about every sports event I go to, I hear it on TV/radio adverts and any thing that's sports, drinking, betting related.

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but I'm afraid I am when it comes to this song which for some reason unknown all has become and unofficial national anthem in the last 12-18 months.

Cheers.

PS- please don't replace it with glad all over or country roads either, thanks again 🙂 

Beyonce Single Ladies? I reckon you would nail the moves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, meast said:

I don't want to sound like a grumpy old git

You are a long-time member of a Rugby League forum. I think it may be too late... :kolobok_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, there was a poll last week to decide a song to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee, a song for 'the whole nation' to sing to celebrate

And 'Sweet Caroline' topped the poll

It's not always about 'new material'... sometimes you just have to ride the wave...And now, June 2022, everyone wants to sing Sweet Caroline

I'm sure people will get sick of it soon, so hopefully it'll get binned off then (but it's fine for now)

51 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I generally don’t mind it. People do seem to like it and it can create a bit of an atmosphere. That said, it’s not a lie to say it was played four times yesterday and that become far too much very quickly. 

Agree, as a one off it's a song that can really help an atmosphere get going but there's only so much of it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, there was a poll last week to decide a song to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee, a song for 'the whole nation' to sing to celebrate

It's not always about 'new material'... sometimes you just have to ride the wave...And now, June 2022, everyone wants to sing Sweet Caroline

I'm sure people will get sick of it soon, so hopefully it'll get binned off then (but it's fine for now)

It seems to be the new, old must have accessory to anything, but how and why has a song that had, for many years been a wedding do DJ favourite become so popular among the nation?

11 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Anything is better than simply the best and we are the champions! 

Simply the Best will do me , great tune from toe tapping days past in the hit parade 

1 hour ago, meast said:

Cheers.

But it’s so good (so good, so good!)

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, meast said:

It seems to be the new, old must have accessory to anything, but how and why has a song that had, for many years been a wedding do DJ favourite become so popular among the nation?

I always associate it with boxing really and think many sports have just copied from its use there.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Lots of people associate "Simply the Best" with boxing, popularised by Cwith Eubank.

Lots of people   ....... fill in as applicable.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

43 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I thought she was called Elizabeth?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Lots of people associate "Simply the Best" with boxing, popularised by Cwith Eubank.

I associate it with, some decades ago, leaving the rickety old Durham ice rink, having seen my team, the Durham Wasps, demolish the opposition, as they routinely did (and so much sweeter if it was Tyneside rivals, the Whitley Warriors)

As we shuffled out into the dark night, we could smugly reassure ourselves that the song was, to put it simply, true...at least in a British ice hockey context; in Europe,we got nowhere!