Jump to content

How do we furnish a promoted team?


Recommended Posts

How do we furnish a promoted team?

IKEA?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusssomewhereovertherainbow v Keithcrisisstickingplaster a moral and ethical choice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

We literally only have to go back about two weeks to find a thread full of Leigh and Featherstone fans saying rules are rules and Toulouse just have to get on with it.

I have only ever said I would never protect any club whoever they are from relegation be that any of the French, or our so called high profile clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And just why you are on, you were quite noticable along with the dk fellow in your absence in commenting on the 1895 final, it must have been galling for you watching it.☹

You are assuming I watched it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

OK ,so I read the article about Leigh and Featherstome saying they should BOTH be in SL next season, and McDermott saying there should be no relegation.

You really couldn't make that up.

Why on earth should Featherstone be promoted when they are quite likley to finish second and get beaten in the GF- and then be protected from relegation to boot?

Fev fans keep telling us they are a part-time team, and I haven't heard any plans to go full time. They don't have an Academy. Granted, they aren't allowed, but stil, the fact is they don't - so they would have to sign whatever cast off's from other SL teams willing to go part-time. How does that benefit Super League?

There'd literally be no advantage in putting Featherstone into SL. There'd be a better case to be made for putting York or even Halifax into the slot.

IF Featherstone EARN their place in SL - as per the competition rules when the season started - then they should get their opportunity. They'd only last one season, since a part-time team would be battered every week in SL. So there's no way in hell they should be protected.

Sorry for the slighty off-topic rant but McDermott's comments really made by blood boil. Fortunately, nobody listens to anything the guy says when it comes to the format of the game.

Same reasoning from big Mac as he had at Toronto wasn't he then berating little clubs like the one he joined when he was out of work, just seems like he is wanting a bit more job security.

I see no reason whatsoever to deny any club the opportunity to perform at the top level and equally so in protecting anyone from relegation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You are assuming I watched it.

I am certain you would have watched it Dav, given how big of a fan of the game you are.

PS and also to watch Leigh lose!

Edited by Harry Stottle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Would someone be able to explain to me the logic behind Championship clubs not being allowed to run academy teams? 

I think you need to direct that question to Mr R Rimmer c/o the RFL, Ray.

But I will hazard a guess in Leigh's case they are to close to Wigan, Saints and Warrington, just as was Castleford, Bradford and HKR to their big neighbours, but the weight of derision at the decision to exclude them from having an academy brought an about turn from Rimmer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am certain you would have watched it Dav, given how big of a fan of the game you are.

PS and also to watch Leigh lose!

Wrong again I’m afraid 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Would someone be able to explain to me the logic behind Championship clubs not being allowed to run academy teams? 

I assume that the limiting of the number of academies is to prevent community clubs having all of their players taken. If a typical academy squad has 3 players in it that will go on to be established first team players then they need 20 plus players that won't make it just to give the 3 a team to play in until they are old enough. Cut the number of academies and you cut the number of squad place holders (for want of a kinder term) needed across the competition so the number taken from the community game is fewer. With a limited number of academies able to function it makes sense to place them where the greatest amount of money is and that is in SL. So unless in a strategic outpost like London or Newcastle the catchment area for non SL clubs is already covered by a SL club. Bradford is the only outlier in that I think. It's far from an ideal situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you need to direct that question to Mr R Rimmer c/o the RFL, Ray.

But I will hazard a guess in Leigh's case they are to close to Wigan, Saints and Warrington, just as was Castleford, Bradford and HKR to their big neighbours, but the weight of derision at the decision to exclude them from having an academy brought an about turn from Rimmer.

I ain't an admirer of the governing body,but it is the decision making of Dave Rotheram and NOT Rimmer.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36634/column-|-dave-rotherham-on-the-start-of-the-new-season

He decided on the 3 clubs NOT being granted 'elite' academy status,but recently changed that in regard to Hull KR.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60088/hull-kr-awarded-elite-academy-licence

     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Damien said:

So a different debate. My post was on about overseas players in the Championship, I never even mentioned Leigh. If every lower league club had squads with half the players from overseas then you would have to seriously question the value of investing in them as a pathway for players.

I'm not sure how your argument works of there not being enough quality full time players for 12 SL teams but yet Leigh are somehow raising the quality of the full time player pool by employing players who aren't good enough for Super League. That's a complete contradiction. As long as Leigh aren't getting one extra penny compared to other Championship clubs to do that then that's fine. If they are getting 3 times the funding as per the last TV deal, to the disadvantage of other Championship clubs, to run that full time squad then that is completely wrong.

I'm not going to argue about academies as my views on this are quite clear, no club should be prevented from having one. This is especially so when salary cap rules give advantages to clubs developing their own players.

Blake Ferguson is not good enough for SL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I ain't an admirer of the governing body,but it is the decision making of Dave Rotheram and NOT Rimmer.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36634/column-|-dave-rotherham-on-the-start-of-the-new-season

He decided on the 3 clubs NOT being granted 'elite' academy status,but recently changed that in regard to Hull KR.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60088/hull-kr-awarded-elite-academy-licence

Ralph Rimmer is the boss and the buck stops right there, it was also Ralph who deliverd the decision who which applicants were awarded licences, and also Ralph who answered the critics of the decision and then allowed Cas, Bradford and Hull KR to carry on, 'Elite' status is just a play on words, they have an academy and play in the academy League what else is there to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I ain't an admirer of the governing body,but it is the decision making of Dave Rotheram and NOT Rimmer.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36634/column-|-dave-rotherham-on-the-start-of-the-new-season

He decided on the 3 clubs NOT being granted 'elite' academy status,but recently changed that in regard to Hull KR.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60088/hull-kr-awarded-elite-academy-licence

Rotheram is just the Chief officer in charge if administering it. The Criteria and policies regarding Academy licencing was set by the RFL Board of which Rimmer is the Chairman. It was Rimmer & the board who decided who got a licence and who didn't, and also decided how many licences there were going to be.

  • Thanks 1

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Blake Ferguson is not good enough for SL?

Great argument, 1 player. I'm sure there's English players in the Championship good enough for SL too. The very fact Ferguson ended up at Leigh doesn't exactly indicate he was inundated with offers from other clubs. Also what about the 11 or so other overseas Leigh players? Are you trying to say they are all SL standard too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RP London said:

Therefore, IMHO its a case of changing the transfer system.. There does seem to be a little bit of money changing hands but not much, players seem to be moving more when they are off contract. So how about making it that no one can sign a contract or pre contract until the end of the season. Or to make all off contract players basically sign into an RFL/SL pot and almost have a draft of off contract players.. NRL players can put their hands up too. New teams gets extra picks, lowest teams get to pick first etc. Its not perfect and there are holes that can be picked in it (as its not a fully formed idea, i have other things to do) but its the start of a thought of giving the promoted team the same time as everyone else to pick up players off contract and to stop being left with the dregs. It would be a departure from the norm for sure but we need that. Of course there are problems where you have the likes of Chris Hill wanting 2 years rather than 1 and maybe the team that drafts him still only want to give him 1 year, where as another would have given him 2, but I am sure something can be worked out on that front.

How to screw up the entire transfer market just to try and help 1 promoted team 😮

You can't force players to go and play for a club they don't want to play for or for less money than they can get elswhere. 

As an example Welsby & Lees were both off contract at Saints at the end of this season. Under your proposals both wouldn't be able to re-sign with Saints (as they've both just done) instead having to wait until the end of the year and then probably find out they've both been picked to go & play for a promoted team who they have no interest in playing for and who may not be able to pay them the same as they were being offered to stay at Saints.

Clubs would just instantly give up on investing heavily in their youth development if they knew any other club could just come in and take them at the end of their contracts.

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Great argument, 1 player. I'm sure there's English players in the Championship good enough for SL too. The very fact Ferguson ended up at Leigh doesn't exactly indicate he was inundated with offers from other clubs. Also what about the 11 or so other overseas Leigh players? Are you trying to say they are all SL standard too?

Not all Damien but I will wager there will be SL clubs hovering around a number of them when they are coming off contract.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

How to screw up the entire transfer market just to try and help 1 promoted team 😮

You can't force players to go and play for a club they don't want to play for or for less money than they can get elswhere. 

As an example Welsby & Lees were both off contract at Saints at the end of this season. Under your proposals both wouldn't be able to re-sign with Saints (as they've both just done) instead having to wait until the end of the year and then probably find out they've both been picked to go & play for a promoted team who they have no interest in playing for and who may not be able to pay them the same as they were being offered to stay at Saints.

Clubs would just instantly give up on investing heavily in their youth development if they knew any other club could just come in and take them at the end of their contracts.

You just dont let them get to the last year of their contract... also, as with any draft, you could trade around to get it but then money goes to the team coming lower that you trade with, or maybe you get 2 players instead of 1... there are plenty of ways of making something work.. but why not try something different.. if Saints want to keep their players you just get them to sign a 2 year contract in September of the year before they go off contract.. not difficult

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RayCee said:

Would someone be able to explain to me the logic behind Championship clubs not being allowed to run academy teams? 

 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you need to direct that question to Mr R Rimmer c/o the RFL, Ray.

But I will hazard a guess in Leigh's case they are to close to Wigan, Saints and Warrington, just as was Castleford, Bradford and HKR to their big neighbours, but the weight of derision at the decision to exclude them from having an academy brought an about turn from Rimmer.

 

3 hours ago, wiganermike said:

I assume that the limiting of the number of academies is to prevent community clubs having all of their players taken. If a typical academy squad has 3 players in it that will go on to be established first team players then they need 20 plus players that won't make it just to give the 3 a team to play in until they are old enough. Cut the number of academies and you cut the number of squad place holders (for want of a kinder term) needed across the competition so the number taken from the community game is fewer. With a limited number of academies able to function it makes sense to place them where the greatest amount of money is and that is in SL. So unless in a strategic outpost like London or Newcastle the catchment area for non SL clubs is already covered by a SL club. Bradford is the only outlier in that I think. It's far from an ideal situation.

I imagine that your explanation has merit, Mike.

But.

Whilst this may be so, the consequences of a few clubs having Academies and an even fewer clubs having "excellent" academies warps the competitiveness of SL.

I will repeat this. if a few elite clubs dominant the best of Academy level talent by good and not so good reasons, then the Salary Cap dispensations given pretty much ensure that the chosen few can also pay the extra for non club produced talent.

Any half decent player produced by a "minnow" club is therefore snapped up when their contract ends.

If you want to make SL less of a bored parade of the same again each year,  you need to address this.

 

My thoughts-

Central contracting

Regional academies

Ring fenced central funding to ensure every SL club has a Marquee signing.

 

Edited by idrewthehaggis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ralph Rimmer is the boss and the buck stops right there, it was also Ralph who deliverd the decision who which applicants were awarded licences, and also Ralph who answered the critics of the decision and then allowed Cas, Bradford and Hull KR to carry on, 'Elite' status is just a play on words, they have an academy and play in the academy League what else is there to do.

Every week, we get told over the tannoys that the club lottery helps fund the academy, which receives no funding from the Rugby League

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for surviving after promotion to Superleague; the answer lies in how you get promoted in the first place.

 

Go with young guns, not journeymen who can't get a full-time gig anywhere else.

  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s going to be even harder than usual this year and next with the new NRL club Redcliffe Dolphins coming on board soon picking up the young talents and fringe first graders looking to break through or play every week that might otherwise have considered coming to Superleague.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

As for surviving after promotion to Superleague; the answer lies in how you get promoted in the first place.

 

Go with young guns, not journeymen who can't get a full-time gig anywhere else.

Young guns or journeymen , you lose them either way 

If you aren't allowed an academy , how do you get ' young guns ' ?

Edited by GUBRATS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Young guns or journeymen , you lose them either way 

If you aren't allowed an academy , how do you get ' young guns ' ?

Just pick up the ones that the John Kear regime let go.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...