Who will win - Kiwis versus Tonga 2022?

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

I doubt they'll drop Shaun Johnson, even though he's a shadow of the player he used to be.

so is Foran 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

If it is thought that CNK isn't up to it, who is the alternative? Nikorima? DWZ? Could Te Maire Martin be considered if he continues to play 1st grade at the Broncos?

8 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Te Maire Martin has been playing exceptionally well at the Broncos. 

10 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Joey Manu is a very good shout, but who plays centre for NZ if he moves to full back?

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Agree, he's transformed our team and is a definite contender for the NZ fullback spot. His playmaking skills would be a good complement for Dylan Brown at 6, who is such a good runner. That'd be my combo (with Hughes at 7). I think Manu would be a great pick at 1, but that leaves them short of class at centre. 

Klokstad had one breakout year at the Raiders and has done little since. Te Maire Martin is good but lacks a bit of size and I don`t think he is ready. The bloke I would go for who and would absolutely play his guts out, is as tough as nails, a guaranteed metre maker and has plenty of line breaks in him is Jordan Rapana. 

Rapana recently stated how much playing for NZ means to him and I think he could go on to being their WC fullback as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

I’d be 99% sure he won’t be in the starting team unless Hughes or Brown get injured. Might jag a bench spot if he’s lucky.

Hughes is one of the best halfbacks in the NRL, NZ the would be mad not to pick him at 7, likewise Brown at 6.

Over the last two years Hughes has been second only to Cleary at 7 and Brown is currently second only to Munster who is redhot at the moment, best placed halves pairing NZ have had in potentially forever. 

I like Martin at fullback if he can keep his form up, he seems to be getting better and better each week and it would allow Manu to remain in the centres where he's most experienced. 

Leaves Rapana, Mulitalo, DWZ, Maumalo contesting for wing spots and CNK, Reimis Smith and Hiku fighting for the other centre slot.

As for who will win the mid-season match - I'll give the edge to NZ at the moment as Tonga look to be more impacted by Origin than expected with Staggs/Tupou and this NZ crop is something special. Tonga may have pulled a couple of wins out of the Origin announcements though, no David Fifita or Mo Fotuaika in the QLD side could be big ins for the Mid-season test or the WC. Koloamatangi and Olakau'atu have avoided selection for NSW as well which would suggest they can be locked in to the side.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

prob looking forward to this more than state of borigin 

Me too. SOO doesn't do it for me anymore, internationals offer so much more variety.

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Me too. SOO doesn't do it for me anymore, internationals offer so much more variety.

Same here. I used to religiously watch SOO but now if I see it I see it but I certainly wouldn't take the day off work as I may have done in the past. It was a really special series with the world's best players but now in many ways it just seems like another NRL game. Now it is far from 2 teams of the worlds best players and no longer seems like the pinnacle in terms of standard. No matter what gymnastics the Aussies try and do to keep it above international RL it just pales into comparison now.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, RayCee said:

we need people like sean wane to rattle some cages and say this sort of thing publicly - nowt wrong with stirring the pot to make it more tasty 

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

22 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Klokstad had one breakout year at the Raiders and has done little since. Te Maire Martin is good but lacks a bit of size and I don`t think he is ready. The bloke I would go for who and would absolutely play his guts out, is as tough as nails, a guaranteed metre maker and has plenty of line breaks in him is Jordan Rapana. 

Rapana recently stated how much playing for NZ means to him and I think he could go on to being their WC fullback as well.

He's a great competitor who gives his all but I'm not sure about Rapana as an international #1. I think he might lack just a bit of ball-playing and class to really scare the top teams out the back. Don't get me wrong, I really admire him and don't doubt that he'd do a job. I just think they might be better served putting someone else there.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

so is Foran 

A touch harsh; he's been playing quite well this year and getting a run of games.

I'd go Hughes and Brown as well, but I feel that the NZ selectors will hold onto a big name with name recognition from the past in Shaun Johnson. I could be wrong.

• Like 2

Rapana is a great player, gives 100% every game and does a lot of work. I don't think full back suits him though, he makes too many mistakes when playing there. He needs to be on the wing where he is world class (emotive term I know)

Klokstad should be nowhere near the team. He had a great season a couple of years ago but has not looked fit since and his form has deserted him.

DWZ lifts his game when playing for NZ but he also makes too many mistakes to play at full back.

If the Kiwis get their full team out in time for the World Cup they will have a real chance of winning it. 

• Like 2

On 30/05/2022 at 06:43, The Rocket said:

Who has Ponga declared for? I seem to remember him considering a switch to union with the chance to play for the All Blacks. If that's correct then he could be eligible for the Kiwis in the WC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Who has Ponga declared for? I seem to remember him considering a switch to union with the chance to play for the All Blacks. If that's correct then he could be eligible for the Kiwis in the WC

He's eligible but opting for NZ now would rule him out of Origin selection from this point forward and as an incumbent I can't see that happening.

Would also rule him out of future Australian selection but I'm not sure if he'll ever play for Australia anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

He's eligible but opting for NZ now would rule him out of Origin selection from this point forward and as an incumbent I can't see that happening.

Would also rule him out of future Australian selection but I'm not sure if he'll ever play for Australia anyway.

I would suggest Ponga is definitely behind a fit Tedesco, Trbojevic, Papenhuyzen and Mitchell for a Kangaroo jersey and in stiff competition with some others.

It is difficult to know whether he would want to play for the Kiwis at all but, as you say, the pull of Origin is big.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would suggest Ponga is definitely behind a fit Tedesco, Trbojevic, Papenhuyzen and Mitchell for a Kangaroo jersey and in stiff competition with some others.

It is difficult to know whether he would want to play for the Kiwis at all but, as you say, the pull of Origin is big.

Yeah Ponga's problem is that Papenhuyzen is the same age as him (as the two youngest in that group) so he's perhaps unlikely to ever be the first choice fullback, an eventual swap to the halves might change his prospects and obviously injury means an appearance isn't entirely out of the question if he stays at fullback.

As you mention the other factor is though he did live in NZ for some time during his childhood he spent the majority in Australia so may never have had ambitions outside the Kangaroos. I can see why his prior stance on the ABs was a different story because the Wallabies aren't exactly revered in Australia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UTK said:

Yeah Ponga's problem is that Papenhuyzen is the same age as him (as the two youngest in that group) so he's perhaps unlikely to ever be the first choice fullback, an eventual swap to the halves might change his prospects and obviously injury means an appearance isn't entirely out of the question if he stays at fullback.

As you mention the other factor is though he did live in NZ for some time during his childhood he spent the majority in Australia so may never have had ambitions outside the Kangaroos. I can see why his prior stance on the ABs was a different story because the Wallabies aren't exactly revered in Australia.

Indeed.  And Lattrell Mitchell is the same age as Ponga.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris