Ratings for Challenge Cup Final.

rating really depend on the perception of the audience. i would have given it about 7 out of 10  but I was watching it from a hotel bar in Belfast after getting the bar manager to put it on the big screen .

after about 15 mins there was quite a crowd watching the game from differing parts of the world and they all seemed to really think it was brilliant and were going ouch when tackles came in and roaring in the tries for both sides.

so i give it a 7 and I'm quite sure many of those watching in the same bar would have been up at 9 or 10 by the reaction's they gave . perceptions from rugby league people are not always the same as those who see the game with fresh eyes and we need to attract those people to the event .

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As a general rule, I tend to buy more expensive things as they are usually better quality (not always of course, but it is a fair rule).

If I don't know anything about an event or a sport, if the tickets are cheap I will probably not bother with it because it will probably be rubbish.

And I say this knowing I may get some stick on here - but it is true - and it will also be true of many other people who we think will be attracted to the sport if we just offer them cheap tickets.

There are probably a number of way to attract new fans to live Rugby League games, but being cheap is not one of them.

What is cheap ?

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What is cheap ?

We both know where this conversation will go when I answer this so let's not bother having it shall we.

I have made my point and if you disagree then that is absolutely fine.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Highest audience share for any final since 2008.

There are stats and then there are stats.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says "BETFRED BETFRED CHALLENGECU ENGE FINAL VIEWING FIGURES AVERAGE MATCH AUDIENCE: 1,158,210 •AVERAGE MATCH AUDIENCE UP +23.2% AGAINST 2021 (939,790 1,158,210) •PEAK AUDIENCE: 1,519,400 TV AUDIENCE SHARE: 15.6% (GREATEST FOR ANY RUGBY LEAGUE GAME THIS SEASON AND HIGHEST OF ANY CHALLENGE CUP FINAL SINCE 2008)"

• Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, paul hicks said:

rating really depend on the perception of the audience. i would have given it about 7 out of 10  but I was watching it from a hotel bar in Belfast after getting the bar manager to put it on the big screen .

after about 15 mins there was quite a crowd watching the game from differing parts of the world and they all seemed to really think it was brilliant and were going ouch when tackles came in and roaring in the tries for both sides.

so i give it a 7 and I'm quite sure many of those watching in the same bar would have been up at 9 or 10 by the reaction's they gave . perceptions from rugby league people are not always the same as those who see the game with fresh eyes and we need to attract those people to the event .

Really does confirm what a great TV product League can be though doesn`t it.

I bet you a lot of those people you mention who gathered around the TV would be a lot more likely to watch some WC games now as well, hopefully assuming they know it is on.

The problem of course is that League really isn`t that easily accessible for the average punter in your part of the world though, which is really a symptom of the failure to grow the sport out of the heartlands as it is of not being on TV enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems just about everyone who went to the final at Tottenham loved it.

Wembley is going to feel distinctly underwhelming next year. 

I'm on record of being in favour of returning to Wembley for various reasons. But I have to say the reaction to Tottenham has been so positive that it would be a brave (foolhardy?) business to ignore such positive customer feedback. 

I'm starting to wobble...

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Really does confirm what a great TV product League can be though doesn`t it.

I bet you a lot of those people you mention who gathered around the TV would be a lot more likely to watch some WC games now as well, hopefully assuming they know it is on.

The problem of course is that League really isn`t that easily accessible for the average punter in your part of the world though, which is really a symptom of the failure to grow the sport out of the heartlands as it is of not being on TV enough.

my part of the world is leeds but was over in Belfast for 10 days so took advantage of the customer is always right with the barman and asked him to put it on the big screen. place soon filled up with tourists from quite a number of places from what i could make out .  

how many will even get the BBC i don't know but i told them there would be a lot of games on in November for the world cup so who knows china and other parts of the far east and over in Scandinavia may have a few people tuning in .

also said to get on youtube and type in rugby league or indeed just the look on the internet .

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I'm on record of being in favour of returning to Wembley for various reasons. But I have to say the reaction to Tottenham has been so positive that it would be a brave (foolhardy?) business to ignore such positive customer feedback. 

i recon the sight of a stadium that's 1/3 or more empty for a major game could put viewers off especially with the seats been red as that shows more than black or dark blue when you look at a screen.

3 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

i recon the sight of a stadium that's 1/3 or more empty for a major game could put viewers off especially with the seats been red as that shows more than black or dark blue when you look at a screen.

Hmmm... I know this whole "full stadiums attract bigger TV audiences" seems to be a thing right now, but I don't see any evidence for it. 

You'd be hard pressed to show that more people tuned into the game at Spurs compared to last year due to a dislike of empty seats. And both games had a similar peak bump, so they're not turning off during due to empties either. 

The overall TV audience was up a bit - more than I first thought so I'm happy to acknowledge that. Why? Well it could be all sorts of things, all of which were determined before kick off. I hope we learn what they were and keep doing it. 

However, the clear positive knock on from the Spurs experience is that almost everyone who attended in person loved it. And if you have up to 50,000 people telling you they loved what you sold them, we have to think long and hard about telling them that they can't have it again. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Hmmm... I know this whole "full stadiums attract bigger TV audiences" seems to be a thing right now, but I don't see any evidence for it. 

Women's football audiences are up on telly, and the crowds have plenty of empty seats.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It’s a £1.2 billion stadium, probably the best in Europe. You have to see it for yourself I guess, but Wembley is inferior. 

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

If not the Challenge Cup, then they absolutely have to taken and England game there next year. Our party was 32 with 16 of them living in or around London, every single one of them would go back in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

8 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

You'd be hard pressed to show that more people tuned into the game at Spurs compared to last year due to a dislike of empty seats. And both games had a similar peak bump, so they're not turning off during due to empties either. 

The overall TV audience was up a bit - more than I first thought so I'm happy to acknowledge that. Why? Well it could be all sorts of things, all of which were determined before kick off. I hope we learn what they were and keep doing it. 

However, the clear positive knock on from the Spurs experience is that almost everyone who attended in person loved it. And if you have up to 50,000 people telling you they loved what you sold them, we have to think long and hard about telling them that they can't have it again. 

Yeah, agreed. I can’t see any evidence as to how the fullness of a stadium significantly effects the TV viewership. 

So people tune into a game on tv then go ‘ahhh there are some empty pockets in the stands’, forget it, I’m not watching’. That’s just laughable!

There are all sorts of everyday things that effect tv viewerships. The weather can have a few hundred thousand viewership effect (i.e if it’s a lovely 26 degree day in late May, then far less people are going to stuck at home watching the telly (regardless of what’s on) at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon than if it was a miserable 14 degree rainy day).

On 31/05/2022 at 13:48, Just Browny said:

This is a good TV audience. It was a great product on TV - exciting game, well presented, good atmosphere. Invariably it is with the Challenge Cup Final : you get an enthralling game 80% of the time, which is far higher than in football or cricket finals.

As always, the onus is on the RFL and their partners to use it and grow it. Invest even more in the event and make it a prestige ticket that makes even more money for our game. I'm not saying it is easy, but other promoters manage it with much ropier products.

It seems to me these other promoters or governing bodies are more competent in selling their ropier products, ours couldn't rum a p*s* up in a brewery.

27 minutes ago, Chanter said:

It seems to me these other promoters or governing bodies are more competent in selling their ropier products, ours couldn't rum a p*s* up in a brewery.

That's clearly not true.

15 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

6 hours ago, AB90 said:

Yeah, agreed. I can’t see any evidence as to how the fullness of a stadium significantly effects the TV viewership. 

Eventually it would and I`ve no doubt that TV companies know this.

I think I understand. Up and down the land people are saying, " last time I watched the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final, there were lots of empty seats. That is why I will not be watching it again."