Jump to content

Match thread: Championship Rd13. Newcastle v Featherstone Rovers. Thursday 2nd June 2022.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

Thats Hall on his way to Keighley then.  I'm starting to think that the biggest threat to us not getting in to SL is McDermotts methods and stubbornness......

On 03/06/2022 at 10:19, roversspud said:

Hall was replaced immediately after he'd "allowed" himself to be tackled into touch before the end of the set. Perhaps that went away from the game plan?

Rob It's not Mcdermotts methods that is the biggest threat or his stubbornness, just because players throw reckless passes or being forced into touch, which could have been avoided by stepping back inside. If players aren't going to listen and learn then as he's demonstrated he'll sub them no matter who the player is. He's now trying to get the players to up their game in readiness for when they should be at their peak. What's the alternative put an arm around the player that's cocked up and say never mind, we'll work on it at training. This season has one goal and one goal only, so anybody that doesn't play ball will be on the touchline. Yes it's a harsh line to take, but to achieve where we deserve to be Mcdermott has no choice.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, wasginger said:

Rob It's not Mcdermotts methods that is the biggest threat or his stubbornness, just because players throw reckless passes or being forced into touch, which could have been avoided by stepping back inside. If players aren't going to listen and learn then as he's demonstrated he'll sub them no matter who the player is. He's now trying to get the players to up their game in readiness for when they should be at their peak. What's the alternative put an arm around the player that's cocked up and say never mind, we'll work on it at training. This season has one goal and one goal only, so anybody that doesn't play ball will be on the touchline. Yes it's a harsh line to take, but to achieve where we deserve to be Mcdermott has no choice.

 

So he takes players off the pitch after making a mistake right at the start of the game.  Thats idiotic.  There would be no interchanges left by half time.  But for me its more of a worry that he won't take risks.  To beat Leigh we'll have to throw the ball around and that is where we have the edge.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To throw the ball about you've to get your forwards pushing through the defensive line and hope for quick play the balls to enable to play expansive rugby. Going lateral makes it easy for defences. If you'd watched the game Hall made 4 mistakes and in the coaches eyes he warranted bringing off. If you're going to blame anyone for playing with one less interchange blame the player pulled off,because due to his actions he's put his team-mates in that position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wasginger said:

To throw the ball about you've to get your forwards pushing through the defensive line and hope for quick play the balls to enable to play expansive rugby. Going lateral makes it easy for defences. If you'd watched the game Hall made 4 mistakes and in the coaches eyes he warranted bringing off. If you're going to blame anyone for playing with one less interchange blame the player pulled off,because due to his actions he's put his team-mates in that position.

Where on earth did you see 4 mistakes or have you added 2 on for fun.  If its true that he took Hall off for a couple of mistakes it was ridiculous.  Not forgetting our 2nd choice kicker wasn't playing which may have cost us a few more.  I would bet that at half time McDermott was regretting it

Putting his team mates in what position ?  12-0 up ?

If you want to see a mistake look at Brands knock on for Leigh against Barrow (and then failing to pick the ball up) which all but cost them the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hall is pivotal to our success and if it's true that he was brought off for reasons mentioned and knowing we had no other recognised goal kicker then the coach needs to have a look at himself. However things tend to get blown up out of all proportion. Perhaps Hall had a tweak of a muscle or something. Who knows?. Players of Halls ability likewise Chizzy before him need to be allowed to play what they see in front of them whether right or wrong. Fev without Hall in our run up is unthinkable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is that Mac knows what he needs to instill into the players before the playoff's. My guess is that was his first point well and truly made.

There is no suggestion that he will bin Hall off, just making the point that no matter who you are will not exempt you from meeting expectations.

Let's see how the team respond, hopefully it will be all positive... maybe we will see tonight. 

Despite all the hysteria, the final showed that although we are currently behind where Leigh are, we are not a million miles away. If you ignore the last try, which would have been in row Z had there not only been 2 mins left, we would have only lost by 8. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with Rob above, if McD subbed Hall off just because of a mistake and to make a point, it was a stupid thing to do, particularly in our current context of needing to use every interchange as carefully as possible to spell players who may be less than 100% fit etc. Hall is such a key player (as was Chizzy of course....) and if he's having a spell where his form or decision making is not 'bang on', McD should be working with him on the training pitch to sort it out and build confidence, rather than humiliating him/making him fearful of making mistakes. The worry is that McD is so intent on imposing himself on the players/style etc, that he's just going to end up nullifying our strengths and ultimately dismantling a team/squad that was more than capable of achieving promotion.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

My guess is that Mac knows what he needs to instill into the players before the playoff's. My guess is that was his first point well and truly made.

There is no suggestion that he will bin Hall off, just making the point that no matter who you are will not exempt you from meeting expectations.

Let's see how the team respond, hopefully it will be all positive... maybe we will see tonight. 

Despite all the hysteria, the final showed that although we are currently behind where Leigh are, we are not a million miles away. If you ignore the last try, which would have been in row Z had there not only been 2 mins left, we would have only lost by 8. 

 

Yeah re the last point totally agree that Kheirallah had no choice.  Anyway I'm surprised that nobody else spotted this - Looking frame by frame it looks very much like Kheirallah touched the ball down first....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Where on earth did you see 4 mistakes or have you added 2 on for fun.  If its true that he took Hall off for a couple of mistakes it was ridiculous.  Not forgetting our 2nd choice kicker wasn't playing which may have cost us a few more.  I would bet that at half time McDermott was regretting it

Putting his team mates in what position ?  12-0 up ?

If you want to see a mistake look at Brands knock on for Leigh against Barrow (and then failing to pick the ball up) which all but cost them the game.

All I'm going to say to you is look back at the game. Hall should have passed to his winger twice when his winger had room to manouvre, then he dropped the ball and was tackled into touch. I think you need to read what you have written, one minute you're accusing of Macdermott wasting a replacement. Then when I suggest if Hall had played the game he wouldn't put his team-mates in that position, your come back is what at 12-0 ? It doesn't matter the score as showed at half-time. The coach is responsible for his own decisions, he has stated where he wants the team to be come the end of the season, and he'll stand or fall by his decisions. One point I am surmising on is whether Hall was injured or as I think for not applying himself, but either way Hall's in the squad tonight. As for watching Leigh no thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...