City of Culture is...

Always seemed a very busy place anyways years back.used to buy a few cars out a midland road auctions, then a visit to maningham lane sweet center was always a winner.

Edited by silverback

Like most I have my negative views of Bradford, and the decision was met with scorn from some locals.

Even those in the bid likely know of it's many flaws, but the bid team did something about it, whereas the detractors, like me, did nothing.

Fair play.

• Like 2

The whole idea of the City of Culture is to improve the profile and address some issues a city has. It is a bit pointless making somewhere like Stratford the city of culture. Won't do the place any harm whatsoever.

Beside, Bradford is full of cults*.

😄

*Copyright Spike Milligan

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

One of the places the panel visited was Salts Mill at Saltaire where I used to live.

I spent many happy days there with the children. 

It used to be a seperate town,village from Bradford.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Niels said:

One of the places the panel visited was Salts Mill at Saltaire where I used to live.

I spent many happy days there with the children. 

It used to be a seperate town,village from Bradford.

This Capital of Culture is for the Bradford district, stops Keighley moaning for a bit.

• Thanks 1

I lived in Bradford all my life, until January this year.

Then they go an win this.

Typical!

I should've left sooner!! 😄

I saw the announcement being made live on The One Show and was braced for the usual feeling of disappointment that Bradford never gets owt like this going its way, so I was delighted for those who worked on the bid that their hard work and belief in the city was rewarded with the win.

If I'm honest, I didn't think they had a chance. That's just natural Bradfordian pessimism at work. I'm thrilled to be wrong.

It has been good to see the generally positive reaction to the news already and I hope it brings many long lasting benefits to my old hometown in the years ahead.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I lived in Bradford all my life, until January this year.

Then they go an win this.

Typical!

I should've left sooner!! 😄

I saw the announcement being made live on The One Show and was braced for the usual feeling of disappointment that Bradford never gets owt like this going its way, so I was delighted for those who worked on the bid that their hard work and belief in the city was rewarded with the win.

If I'm honest, I didn't think they had a chance. That's just natural Bradfordian pessimism at work. I'm thrilled to be wrong.

It has been good to see the generally positive reaction to the news already and I hope it brings many long lasting benefits to my old hometown in the years ahead.

Can you move to Leyth , then leave a few years later , we might get our train station then and stop all these moaning barstewards 😉

• Haha 2

used to go to gigs at st georges hall and the venue under the theatre - not anymore - its a nightmare to drive to and out of - struggling like most cities these days with lovely parts and not so lovely areas - hope this award is a breath of fresh air for a city that has been choking for quite a while 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Apart from Odsal the only place I ever visited in Bradford was a curry house.  In the late 1980’s a group of us that worked in Wakey used to visit the curry house once a month for a long lunch.  Now my memory might not be as sharp as it was but it might have been called the Karachi.  You entered by going down some steps.  The tables had thick plastic covers and there was no cutlery.  I seem to remember that it was next door to a mortuary.

Once Flexi-time was brought in the visits ground to a halt.

Anyway good luck to Bradford.