Swinton

moorside roughyed

Big game for Oldham that could finish or kick stat the season. Swinton can score points for fun but look shaky against the better teams. Stuart Littler knows the majority of the Swinton team well and will be planning an upset.  However its also a must win game for Swinton to stay in touch with the leaders and nerves could play a part, I personally think it will be worth the attendance money. This league is shaping up nicely and will throw up some great games over the coming months. 

My team

Restall

Hartley

Morgan

Cooke

Wellington

Ridyard

Hewitt/ Butterworth

Nelmes

Jinks

Flynn

Thornton

Cameron

Whittel

Slater

Andrade

Coventry

Spencer

Edited by herbie
Rethink
  • Like 1

I think this one is in one sense a make or break game. If we get hammered, morale will plummet amongst players and fans and deflate the rest of the season. On the unlikely event that we win, that would fire us up and make a tilt at the playoffs at a pinch meaningful. A narrow defeat might well be our best hope. What would be frustrating is another promising first half performance followed by a disastrous, error ridden second half. What is obvious is that every single player will have to be at or near their best to enable us to perform in a way on which we can actually build. Come on you Yeds!

• Like 1

An important game for both sides, for sure, with an interesting ######-bit, given the number of cross-club connections. Rival coaches Stu Littler and Allan Coleman are good pals and former Swinton colleagues. The Lions have SEVEN ex-Oldham players in their squad, five of them from as recently as last season, namely Dan Abram, Max Roberts, Lewis Sheridan, Matty Wilkinson and Jack Spencer. The other two are Will Hope and Richard Lepori. In our camp, we have a former Lions player, assistant boss and then head coach in Stu Littler; an ex-Swinton chief in vice-chairman John Roddy and senior players who were also at Heywood Road last season in Martyn Ridyard and Tom Spencer.

There are loads of other things going on too -- like the relaunch of Roary's Pride for boys and girls; like the three World Cups on view; like the curtain-raiser featuring Limehurst Lions and Saddleworth Rangers under-10s; like the appearance of numerous former Oldham players, including Alex Melling, Scott Ranson and Shane Tupaea; like the presentation of the match ball to the referee by teenage boxing star Naomi Kalu, whose CV suggests she is heading for the top in women's boxing.

Throw in the Melrose Playing Fields adventure; the launch of a women's team, with a Masters team to follow; the introduction of a regular Roughyeds podcast on social media; and the Roughyeds On Tour darts competition at venues across the borough, starting next Thursday, and you can see how much work and effort is being put into the club in order to have more involvement with the community.

Sunday is the club's first home game since April. Hope to see you there !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Roger and Out said:

An important game for both sides, for sure, with an interesting ######-bit, given the number of cross-club connections. Rival coaches Stu Littler and Allan Coleman are good pals and former Swinton colleagues. The Lions have SEVEN ex-Oldham players in their squad, five of them from as recently as last season, namely Dan Abram, Max Roberts, Lewis Sheridan, Matty Wilkinson and Jack Spencer. The other two are Will Hope and Richard Lepori. In our camp, we have a former Lions player, assistant boss and then head coach in Stu Littler; an ex-Swinton chief in vice-chairman John Roddy and senior players who were also at Heywood Road last season in Martyn Ridyard and Tom Spencer.

There are loads of other things going on too -- like the relaunch of Roary's Pride for boys and girls; like the three World Cups on view; like the curtain-raiser featuring Limehurst Lions and Saddleworth Rangers under-10s; like the appearance of numerous former Oldham players, including Alex Melling, Scott Ranson and Shane Tupaea; like the presentation of the match ball to the referee by teenage boxing star Naomi Kalu, whose CV suggests she is heading for the top in women's boxing.

Throw in the Melrose Playing Fields adventure; the launch of a women's team, with a Masters team to follow; the introduction of a regular Roughyeds podcast on social media; and the Roughyeds On Tour darts competition at venues across the borough, starting next Thursday, and you can see how much work and effort is being put into the club in order to have more involvement with the community.

Sunday is the club's first home game since April. Hope to see you there !

Its great to see the efforts being made at Division one clubs in very challenging circumstances.

I personally think / hope that the game will be a cracker.

To be Francis, this is the one team I want us to beat. I mean a number of that team let us down last year. TBH they were appalling. I mean , whoops abram at full back, all we have to do is kick an up and under to him and he'll drop it. Well he did last season. If he plays well tomorrow then questions need to be,asked about his commitment last year. Is Lewis, what's the play, charnock making their team ?  Can't see how. I know players have a living to make, but we want players who play for the shirt on their back.  Come on Oldham.

Will hope has retired and Lewis Sheridan is at Rochdale I think, we have Charnock 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Sadly another loss and some mistakes made but certainly not the annihilation that some doom-mongers predicted.  Still hope for better things to come and not time to write the season off as a disaster just yet. Come on you Yeds, it's time to show the naysayers what you're capable of.

• Like 1

oldham are now 4th off the bottom of the league.

next week oldham play the midlands hurricanes at home lose that one and london skolars beat  west wales. the only teams below oldham will be west wales and cornwall.

then come keighley and rochdale 

• Like 1

Much better effort. Aside from Swinton's first try that was very soft our defence was a lot better. We didn't look like scoring too often but the conditions played a huge role in the game. Nelmes had his best game by a mile this season. Carr at left centre and Windrow in the second row had their best games for the club as well.

Swinton probably deserved to win but I don't think they'll get anywhere close to Keighley. Brogan was very good at prop but they were definitely missing a few in the pack. Lippy was great on the wing .

Ref had a poor game but didn't deserve the abuse he was getting. Think a Swinton fan may have been thrown out for having a go at the ref but not 100%. Thought some of the Swinton antics trying to get players sent off was very distasteful from the players on the pitch especially Roby and Butt and then both the water carrier and the physio telling the ref to send players off.

• Like 4

I agree MB

Also thought Thornton was excellent in defence first half

Cameron looked good in his spell. Agressive defence and ran a great line late on that would have been a try if Ridyard had hit him. 

Much much better allround than last week. 

• Like 3

Much better defensive effort today against what was a poor Swinton side who look miles behind Keighley, NWC & Rochdale. Spoke to a few Swinton fans who confirmed this has pretty much been their form this season. The Swinton fan didn’t get thrown out as he took his cap off and hid amongst the Swinton fans when the stewards came but the abuse he was giving the ref was ridiculous. Always find that there’s a few abusive Swinton fans that spoil what are a good bunch. We seemed to give a lot of high shots away today but Swinton player reactions by running in made them seem a lot worse (Butt must have made more yards running in than he did with the ball).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tandle said:

why donut is what 1064 is rubbish just look at the league table fact.

Fact!? A loss is a loss, certainly, but a 1 point loss is not the same as a 100 point loss. You're trying to refute one argument with one that is not totally connected. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, tandle said:

why donut is what 1064 is rubbish just look at the league table fact.

Where did DoNut say that what 1064 said is rubbish? I can't see it.

The league table doesn't lie. We are one of the worst teams in professional rugby league.

It's not rugby union where you get bonus points for losing within 7.

I would prefer a really poor performance and a win than a reasonable performance and lose.

I take no pleasure in losing each week and if our expectations are simply that the players put a shift in and winning means nothing then I'll go to watch oldham rugby union.