Match thread: Championship Rd 14. Featherstone Rovers v Bradford. Monday 6th June 2022.

Games coming thick and fast now.

Tottenham, done. Newcastle, done. Back home now to face the Bulls.

Injuries coming thick and fast too. We lost Kheirallah, Koppy and Locky at Spurs, and now JSL looks doubtful after Kingston Park.

Of our current 31 man squad we have 5 out on loan and Doyle has just come back.

On the injury list, we have:

The recently injured Kheirallah, Koppy, Locky, JSL.

The longer term Hardcastle and Gill (recently named in the 21 so perhaps he's ready).

Hall came off very early yesterday, but apparently is ok.

Ferres missed yesterday. Not sure if that's an injury.

Cuthbertson has not played for eight weeks so not sure what's happening there.

Jones will be back from suspension though, that's a big plus point.

But for our third game in nine days, we are light up front. Cooper, Moors, Davies, Bussey, Wildie etc will have played all three games, a big ask.

Bradford will undoubtedly be up for it after an easy win v a dismal Widnes.

We need the points because Leigh won't lose any time soon.

Edited by marklaspalmas

45 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Games coming thick and fast now.

Tottenham, done. Newcastle, done. Back home now to face the Bulls.

Injuries coming thick and fast too. We lost Kheirallah, Koppy and Locky at Spurs, and now JSL looks doubtful after Kingston Park.

Of our current 31 man squad we have 5 out on loan and Doyle has just come back.

On the injury list, we have:

The recently injured Kheirallah, Koppy, Locky, JSL.

The longer term Hardcastle and Gill (recently named in the 21 so perhaps he's ready).

Hall came off very early yesterday, but apparently is ok.

Ferres missed yesterday. Not sure if that's an injury.

Cuthbertson has not played for eight weeks so not sure what's happening there.

Jones will be back from suspension though, that's a big plus point.

But for our third game in nine days, we are light up front. Cooper, Moors, Davies, Bussey, Wildie etc will have played all three games, a big ask.

Bradford will undoubtedly be up for it after an easy win v a dismal Widnes.

We need the points because Leigh won't lose any time soon.

Could see Fax giving Leigh a match on Sunday. Big positive for us with Jones being available. 

• marklaspalmas changed the title to Match thread: Championship Rd 14. Featherstone Rovers v Bradford. Monday 6th June 2022.
25 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Could see Fax giving Leigh a match on Sunday. Big positive for us with Jones being available. 

But won't Leigh be back to full strength after resting some ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

But won't Leigh be back to full strength after resting some ?

Indeed. A lot of people seem to be predicting an upset there but I think Leigh will find it a lot easier to get motivated for Halifax especially with more of a full strength team.

Watching the highlights of that game Barrow had an overlap and really should have scored and clinched the game when Leigh scored the decisive interception try.

There's also one of the most amazing tries I have ever seen when Leigh's full back Brand catches the ball, runs 10 yards with it and then drops it with nobody anywhere near it. He makes no attempt to try and dive on it and Sammut kicks the baall on and races under the posts. Think Brand was top try scorer in the Championship until they dropped him for Ferguson, his confidence must be shattered now.

Anyway, on to our game. When we beat Bradford at their place I thought we'd crush them in the return fixture. The current injury list puts a very different complexion on things though, plus they seem to be in a honeymoon period under their current coach Dunning. I took a dislike to him last year when he he made some thinly-veiled and totally unfounded insinuations about Gareth Gale's tackle on Joe Keyes (whilst hiding behind "I don't want to get into trouble with the RFL").

If we have Koppy, Locky, JSL and Kheirallah missing, as well as the longer-term absentees such as Hardy and Cuthbertson, this game suddenly looks a lot tougher and Bradford will fancy their chances of turning us over on our third game in nine days, especially as MLP says with so many of our middles playing all 3 in all likelihood. At least we will have Jones back. Let's hope we can exert ourselves on them again as we did in the second half at Odsal.

• Like 1

Interesting to see that Doyle and Gill have now dropped out of the 21. I wonder if they were actually available to play or not last week. Perhaps Doyle will go on loan to Hunslet again? As sixth choice pivot, perhaps Gill will go on loan too?

I hope Koppy & Killer are available and not making up the numbers. Both players, fully fit, would make a tremendous difference to our performance.

Either way, we should have enough to beat Bradford. I am always very wary of them though.

Our full injury list now appears to be Locky, JSL and Hardcastle. Not too bad for this stage of the season. I hope we play Cuthberston over some of the smaller forwards. A bit of size against the Bulls never goes amiss.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Interesting to see that Doyle and Gill have now dropped out of the 21. I wonder if they were actually available to play or not last week. Perhaps Doyle will go on loan to Hunslet again? As sixth choice pivot, perhaps Gill will go on loan too?

I hope Koppy & Killer are available and not making up the numbers. Both players, fully fit, would make a tremendous difference to our performance.

Either way, we should have enough to beat Bradford. I am always very wary of them though.

Our full injury list now appears to be Locky, JSL and Hardcastle. Not too bad for this stage of the season. I hope we play Cuthberston over some of the smaller forwards. A bit of size against the Bulls never goes amiss.

How do you see the 19 team line up?

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

How do you see the 19 team line up?

We'll choose 17 from those 21 Colin.

I'm a long long way from bring qualified to pick the team but my tuppence worth as a fan is:

Kheirallah over Pickersgill at FB if he's 100% fit.

Rest Wildie with Jones & Smith as hookers. Jacks & Ford the halves.

Rest Hellewell so Joey & Hall at centre.

Rest Cooper if Koppy is 100% fit.

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

We'll choose 17 from those 21 Colin.

I'm a long long way from bring qualified to pick the team but my tuppence worth as a fan is:

Kheirallah over Pickersgill at FB if he's 100% fit.

Rest Wildie with Jones & Smith as hookers. Jacks & Ford the halves.

Rest Hellewell so Joey & Hall at centre.

Rest Cooper if Koppy is 100% fit.

I think the other big unknown is Cuthbertson. It was probably unrealistic that he was going to make his return at Tottenham in such a big game having been out for so long, and it was probably just as unrealistic that he would play on the artificial surface at Newcastle (where four of our veteran forwards didn't play for one reason or another). But if he's over whatever has kept him out, this is the logical game to bring him back with a view to being in contention for Leigh next week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think the other big unknown is Cuthbertson. It was probably unrealistic that he was going to make his return at Tottenham in such a big game having been out for so long, and it was probably just as unrealistic that he would play on the artificial surface at Newcastle (where four of our veteran forwards didn't play for one reason or another). But if he's over whatever has kept him out, this is the logical game to bring him back with a view to being in contention for Leigh next week.

Yes. I'd like to see that.

He was pretty involved in the warm ups at THFC and looked good, not that it means much.

Minor point, but anyone got any better knowledge than me on how the disciplinary procedure for the 1895 final works? Normally with Championship games, or Challenge Cup it would be the Thursday after the game, any appeal against bans the following Tuesday, then any ban starts the following weekend.

We have heard nothing about the Bussey incident which was put on report, but presumably there was no Thursday meeting of the panel last week because of the Jubilee.

There have been some bans handed out today from last week's SL games, but have seen nothing about Bussey (or anything else that may have happened in the 1895 Cup).

I guess it's possible they have already looked at it and concluded no charge (but why not report that?), or they might be convening today/tomorrow with any appeal later in the week, or it might be pushed back to this Thursday, in which case any ban would kick in after the Leigh game.

35 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Minor point, but anyone got any better knowledge than me on how the disciplinary procedure for the 1895 final works? Normally with Championship games, or Challenge Cup it would be the Thursday after the game, any appeal against bans the following Tuesday, then any ban starts the following weekend.

We have heard nothing about the Bussey incident which was put on report, but presumably there was no Thursday meeting of the panel last week because of the Jubilee.

There have been some bans handed out today from last week's SL games, but have seen nothing about Bussey (or anything else that may have happened in the 1895 Cup).

I guess it's possible they have already looked at it and concluded no charge (but why not report that?), or they might be convening today/tomorrow with any appeal later in the week, or it might be pushed back to this Thursday, in which case any ban would kick in after the Leigh game.

Ignore all that: just been informed there was no charge
https://www.rugby-league.com/governance/rules-and-regulations/disciplinary/disciplinary-case?case=15602

• Like 1

Jack Bussey #13, Featherstone

Competition:

1895 Cup

Match:

Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Centurions

Match Date:

2022-05-28

Incident:

Dangerous Contact

Decision:

No charge

Charge Detail:

Player uses neck and head as a lever to keep player down but does not use bodyweight to apply excessive pressure to the neck area as opponent is already on the ground.

• Like 1

Good to hear that i thought it was careless rather than deliberate.However his arm was in a dangerous position so i feared the worst.We can't afford to lose any more hardworking forwards.Can't get to tonight's games as after over 2 years dodging it i have Covid 19.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, POR said:

Jack Bussey #13, Featherstone

Competition:

1895 Cup

Match:

Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Centurions

Match Date:

2022-05-28

Incident:

Dangerous Contact

Decision:

No charge

Charge Detail:

Player uses neck and head as a lever to keep player down but does not use bodyweight to apply excessive pressure to the neck area as opponent is already on the ground.

Wow surprised at that some good news.

31 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Good to hear that i thought it was careless rather than deliberate.However his arm was in a dangerous position so i feared the worst.We can't afford to lose any more hardworking forwards.Can't get to tonight's games as after over 2 years dodging it i have Covid 19.

Good job it's on tele then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Dunno. I'm happy the coach makes these calls as he knows considerably more about rugby than I do.... even if I don't understand the decision.

Mac just explained the decision. Fair dos. As stated, he knows much more than I do.

• Like 1