This Promotion/Relegation is a Farce

2 hours ago, paul hicks said:

why not merge saints and Warrington seeing they already share WA postcode  . seems no worse than the reasoning for merging the hull clubs . on a similar theme we could merge Wigan and leigh and of course the triangle of Castleford, Featherstone and Wakefield for no other reason than it could be amusing watching the debate on where they play. also if you did those mergers than there's no reason to relegate Toulouse .

I think that is a fantastic idea. Lets go with that instead, at least the fans of the merged clubs will be happy then as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul hicks said:

why not merge saints and Warrington seeing they already share WA postcode  . seems no worse than the reasoning for merging the hull clubs . on a similar theme we could merge Wigan and leigh and of course the triangle of Castleford, Featherstone and Wakefield for no other reason than it could be amusing watching the debate on where they play. also if you did those mergers than there's no reason to relegate Toulouse .

Agree although you've forgotten to put Widnes in the WA postcode club too and Batley and Dewsbury in the WF

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 20:47, The Daddy said:

How can.you have proper, fair promotion and relegation when you have loop fixtures and the newly promoted team at the bottom of the league has to play the top team three times in a season? Someone please justify this to me in a way that makes sense. 

How can you have proper, fair promotion and relegation when the newly promoted team has to pay all the travel costs of visiting teams when they can use the same funds to get local, national tv coverage and increase their commercial opportunities as a result which would in turn get them better players. 

Preventing Toronto and Leigh from receiving central funding and voting on kicking Toronto out of the competition, sorry this ain't a fair, balanced system of promotion and relegation, it's a protection racket. 

First thing IMG need to do is bring back franchising instead of this current nonsense. 

Get it off yer chest fella.

The daft, the insular and the self serving. Entrenchment, entitlement and poor judgement.

The recent catalogue has 

• Loop fixtures
  • Selective central funding
  • Some teams having to pay travel cost and some not.
  • The same salary cap for all, yet the wide varieties of living costs in different areas.
  • Selective licensing of academies
  • Various salary cap academy exemptions that favourite the elite clubs
  • Curious episodes of COVID causing postponements
  • Even more curious inconsistent applications of COVID caused postponements in which certain clubs are fined/points docked and others not. 
  • Monies vanishing into pointless studies on outside financing whilst in an economic crisis
  • A reduced TV deal from Sky
  • The way Toronto was treated by the Game.
  • The way Toronto treated the game. An office on Deansgate and training at Rochdale isn't Canadian. Dry or wet.
  • How the Game let Widnes go belly up.
  • Curious point deductions for clubs that do have 14 players on the field and curious inaction for others.
  • Curious point deductions for some clubs that have financial issues and  inaction for others. (see salary cap as well)
  • Cas and Wakefield's ground, the backstory (the council) and RFL's silence on the matter.
  • Poor refereeing at three finals which has turned the game and aided the big Clubs.
  • Threats to cut funding to League One clubs
  • A day long international double header in winter in Coventry
  • Revived GB 
  • Format changes
  • Bradford. Too much, too much.

Scream, shout, throw various things out of pram, at cat or the wall. 

But do not mention franchising Daddy.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As a Wire fan, can I say I've recently changed my stance to agreeing that relegation has no place in the game....... 

🙈

What , and not reinstate the A562 derby ? 

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Agree although you've forgotten to put Widnes in the WA postcode club too and Batley and Dewsbury in the WF

I think could just put Batley/Dewsbury/Wakefield/Cas/Fev together as 1 team. That would seem to be the easiest solution.

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As a Wire fan, can I say I've recently changed my stance to agreeing that relegation has no place in the game....... 

🙈

Couldn’t agree more . End it , like from now

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That's what I meant all the WF teams, all the WA teams, the HU teams, the LS teams etc

Not forgetting the WN's , then we'd have true franchising 

And all the fans would flock to watch their new postcode teams 😉

Could a combined Batley and Dewsbury club work? A SL contender indeed. Heavy Woollen RLFC . 

Second you know a merged Salford and Swinton (SAS ha ha.) would be the 3rd most successful club in Britain after fellow behemoths Wigan and Saints.🙂 Not bad since they haven't won anything since 1976. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If a major road runs through 2 areas then unfortunatley 1, if not both, of those teams will have to go.

Luckily for Halifax, there are no roads going anywhere to, or coming from anywhere important, to affect them.

• Haha 3

You have all ignored the expansion opportunity - London and Paris are joined by train, so welcome the new club PARDON RLFC playing 6 home games at each plus one 'on the road/train'

Edited by sweaty craiq
out of context
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, dboy said:

Luckily for Halifax, there are no roads going anywhere to, or coming from anywhere important, to affect them.

Unfortunatley in my model we have already merged with Bradford and moved our operation up to Odsal. They get our team and Halifax Town are so pleased to see the back of us that they have allowed us to take some grass to extend the Odsal pitch which will have the fans flocking back in there thousands. It won't be the same as cheering Halifax on but we will be back in SL technically and thats the main thing. Its gonna be great times.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Franchising involves picking the highest potential markets.  So we obviously wouldn't be choosing areas where game is strong but places that could grow. 

It is far more likely that img will be seeking a team in cities like edinburgh Dublin and London for travel.  

IMG aren't in charge and no they won't want (unless they are mad) get three cities that don't bother with RL.

"Markets" is a strange word, I much prefer the idea that SKY and other broadcasters will continue to want the top RL clubs in Superleague and their rivalries, as it is the likes of Leeds, Bradford, Saints, Wigan, Hull, HKR, Catalans, Toulouse,  Warrington, Widnes, Wakefield and Castleford plus Leigh and Featherstone that pull the punters.

I'd love that to be a 14 club Superleage, good for the fans, good for TV  and good for gates.

That they may not go for 14 may be down to viewing figures, that count with the advertisers. I suspect they like a 12 club Superleague so they can play out the big derbies one more time. Saints and Wigan may be boring to purists with three league matches a year, but if these games attract bigger viewing figures than Fev and Leigh then the paying customer is king.

IMG will certainly not be advocating Edingburgh.v. Dublin unless they are mad. The market size for RL is not relevant to the size of a town or city, it's relevant to the number of people who support it.

First thing IMG need to do is bring back franchising instead of this current nonsense. 

Franchising didn't work, and wont again..

And do you think that the championship would be half as entertaining if they did? 

[Sorry, did just jump straight in, what a wally. Should have read other responses first 🙂]

Edited by bigbaldnmad

How can.you have proper, fair promotion and relegation when you have loop fixtures and the newly promoted team at the bottom of the league has to play the top team three times in a season? Someone please justify this to me in a way that makes sense. 

How can you have proper, fair promotion and relegation when the newly promoted team has to pay all the travel costs of visiting teams when they can use the same funds to get local, national tv coverage and increase their commercial opportunities as a result which would in turn get them better players. 

Preventing Toronto and Leigh from receiving central funding and voting on kicking Toronto out of the competition, sorry this ain't a fair, balanced system of promotion and relegation, it's a protection racket. 

Agree with all of that, except for franchising. A word I hope our game has permanently removed from it's vocabulary. 

25 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Franchising didn't work, and wont again..

And do you think that the championship would be half as entertaining if they did? 

[Sorry, did just jump straight in, what a wally. Should have read other responses first 🙂]

we never had franchising, though.

Franchise Agreement: 20 Important Things to Know - Small Business Trends (smallbiztrends.com)

Edited by JohnM