This Promotion/Relegation is a Farce

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No Dave, I've listed the 5 clubs that have gone down since Relegation was reintroduced and demonstrated their financial woes following that. Can it be any clearer?

If Wakefield or Cas went down it would be catastrophic to their future plans. Salford may only just survive because of the shoestring they are currently ran on. It isn't clear whether Catalans would continue to exist in the Championship. The rest of Super League would struggle too. 

How historic do you want to go with Bradford. 2 years before they went down (closest I could find on a quick search) they averaged 12,800 odd. That is still bigger than St Helens now I believe, who themselves are 3rd in the average attendances. Widnes weren't exactly small either. 

Relegation helped neither these clubs, nor rugby league in most of these areas particularly imo.

Very happy to disagree with your view here that relegated clubs do not recover from it. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Very happy to disagree with your view here that relegated clubs do not recover from it. 

You may have to find out first hand very soon 😉

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You may have to find out first hand very soon 😉

Very close to being the first on my ignore list there...... 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Very close to being the first on my ignore list there...... 

Sorry, that was too far. The excitement of winning games has got to this rhinos fan

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Hull, Salford, Hull KR, Wakefield, Cas

It should be said that those that survived the R in P&R often did by having investment and or staying full time in a part time League!

It were magic!:kolobok_diablo:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

Take away promotion and you damage every club outside sl. Having nothing to play for makes competitions pointless 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 hours ago, DEANO said:

Take away promotion and you damage every club outside sl. Having nothing to play for makes competitions pointless 

Try telling Rohan Smith that. It was a day to remember when he took norths to their first Queensland Cup title in donkeys years. Amazing scenes and probably could not be Beat by anything he achieves at Leed

its simply a mindset whether you like P&R or are happy with tiered championships.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Try telling Rohan Smith that. It was a day to remember when he took norths to their first Queensland Cup title in donkeys years. Amazing scenes and probably could not be Beat by anything he achieves at Leed

its simply a mindset whether you like P&R or are happy with tiered championships.

Maybe he should get a job at a club pushing for promotion , then he can compare the two ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

Some do, like those with a very persistent and wealthy club owner example being Leigh.

Some don't like those without a wealthy and persistent club owner like Widnes.

P&R isn't a problem at all, it's highly exciting..........

Just like we need more players to play the game, we need more rich owners to chuck their money away at it...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Some do, like those with a very persistent and wealthy club owner example being Leigh.

Some don't like those without a wealthy and persistent club owner like Widnes.

P&R isn't a problem at all, it's highly exciting..........

Just like we need more players to play the game, we need more rich owners to chuck their money away at it...

I think it's the whole 'catastrophic and clubs never recover' point I disagree with. Widnes are still going, playing Rugby like a Rugby club does. Recovery doesn't mean they go back to being like they were in 1989.

We aren't gonna have 36 large clubs, people move up and down the ladder, Widnes have dropped down the ladder because that is where they are as a club. Somebody else has replaced them higher up that ladder. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DEANO said:

“Every” other club,really ?

Having 2 clubs spending vast sums of money filling their teams with imports damages every other club in the Championship & the comp itself 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Having 2 clubs spending vast sums of money filling their teams with imports damages every other club in the Championship & the comp itself 

We are a professional sport , or we could just return to amateur status all through the game , problem sorted 

• Confused 1

On 06/06/2022 at 23:23, ShropshireBull said:

But nowhere to play to generate rev.  Meanwhile Glentoran building that 10k sized ground.  Just avoid games there in July.

haha avoid games in jolly.  . i was there in may and the place was at a standstill for some parade or other.  avoid the period between Easter and September more like 

Posted (edited)

Clubs survive P&R in spite of the catastophic effects and like most sacred cows you can think of what it produces you can see it as piles of dung or good for the garden but it always stinks. Or the corporal punishment that never did me any harm!

Edited by Oxford

#CorbynwasrightandFordesaidso!  Trusscouldn'tcareless v Keith AWOL Tory vast majority in the making.

On 07/06/2022 at 09:45, RP London said:

While i agree with some of what you are saying and every city has its run down areas. I have family over there and go quite a lot and it is getting heavy amounts of investment, the city centre is growing and the business that are in there are putting money into the area. The Titanic quarter is growing and the City is rising out of the ashes of a long struggle. In this regard I think it would be a great city to be in, its very similar to many Northern Towns and is on the rise. 

That said putting a team in would be a minefield, you do not want to be a sectarian sport and there are a lot of sports already in the city. 

Ulster is a big team in RU circles and is doing well. They cross the divide to an extent though are in protestant area.

Northern Irish Football is heavily protestant with only the odd Catholic club like Cliftonville but if you want to know how to saturate an area with too many clubs Belfast is it... 

Gaelic also has a big, catholic, presence in the city

Cricket has a home in Belfast with Stormont being a main venue for the international team and belfast having a number of clubs. 

The Ice Hockey crosses a divide and while people will say its "for the kids" the average attendance is around the 4,500 so its not bad going. 

The biggest issue facing RL going into somewhere like Belfast is the plethora of "alternatives"... as a city its fantastic and I love it but I cant see RL getting a grip there without a mammoth amount of work, and money.

indeed and i think last time they made an attempt to play a proper professional international there was it not played at Windsor park which of course is in an area very unsafe for certain sections of the community. i to have been over many times as i have relatives there and in surrounding towns . i think when you see the club football there then the games that cross the communities tend to be very how shall i put it  partisan and unpleasant as i found out the other week when attending with a Cliftonville supporter of many years .  certainly make for plenty of police overtime .

a thing about sport there seems to be its just about  all part time so who knows how a full time sport would be funded so its equal with other teams in say super league .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

well if you think its bad this season i recon next season will be a shocker with teams trying to make the cut before the losers are left to sink

34 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Clubs survive P&R in spite of the catastophic effects and like most sacred cows you can think of what it produces you can see it as piles of dung or good for the garden but it always stinks. Or the corporal punishment that never did me any harm!

The same analogy can be used for licensing - there are winners and losers in every system. 

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Taking away every teams dreams makes any competition meaningless 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The same analogy can be used for licensing - there are winners and losers in every system. 

Well technically I agree Dave about whatever your system they'll be winners and losers but a sport that can ill afford more or less anything and feels that they care what happens to clubs shouldn't really be dicing with causing their demise. Unless, of course less means more dosh to go round and then it makes perfect sense.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yeah it’s called sport

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DEANO said:

Taking away every teams dreams makes any competition meaningless 

Your kidding yourself if you think every team has Superleague aspirations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Sport is what kids play on school playing fields and enthusiasts do in their spare time.

So that's why Rugby League  is taken as seriously as most other sports - it's not a sport then ?

38 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

So that's why Rugby League  is taken as seriously as most other sports - it's not a sport then ?

Professional Rugby League is a entertainment business 

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Professional Rugby League is a entertainment business 

It's a sports entertainment business for accuracy.

It's not like it'll be appearing with Simon Cowell any time soon.

• Thanks 1