Sky coverage this week

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

We keep sky because between football, F1 and of course RL it really is worth it for us to have all year. Realistically that is LUFC, F1 and Leeds Rhinos tbh though: we used to watch a lot more RL not involving our team but have just found our interest waining in recent years.

There's been more than 1 thursday night this year alone where both Leeds teams have been playing on Sky Sports at the same time too. 

I doubt we would keep Sky sports if it was just for RL or Leeds Rhinos though. Especially with live games, Now TV and the odd channel 4 game being available options too.

I'm broadly the same, I would keep Sky for RL, but it is the multi product element that works for me. I enjoy other 'entertainment business products' 😉 such as F1, Football, Football etc.

If RL ever left Sky I would have to seriously consider though as its the bundle that makes me pay the money I do. 

30 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The only sport that could even dare put all its content on its own service is football- and even they balk at it.  A couple of years ago there were strong rumours that the NFL was going to drop Sky and put everything into GamePass, which is a brilliant platform but basically preaching to the converted. In the end they renewed with Sky, reportedly for less than they pay us. But what a brilliant slot they have, 7+ hours every Sunday night right through the winter, keeping them in people's minds.

So we have to keep some sort of broadcast option or else that's it for trying to broaden the game's audience, especially away form the M62 corridor. Think of us poor southerners!

I suppose we could try a weekly game on terrestrial and then everything else on a RFL owned subscription platform, but a b.o.f.p calculation suggests that you'd need at least 150k people paying £20 a month to break even. Not impossible, but not quite where we are yet, I think.

My hope over the next 5 years is that we do what we said we would, and find a way for people who want to be able to pay to watch the other 3-4 SL games each week that aren't being shown on Sky. You could make it quite pricey - £14.99 or some such -  but you'd get a few thousand for each and it would add up, without affecting Sky or the gates IMO. Then a few years down the line we could think about rolling that up into a service if that's the way the sector is going.   

Good Post. 

I think people underestimate how difficult it would be to get the kind of paying subscribers that you quote there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

A big thing that I am disappointed about is that we seem to be one of the last top flight sports leagues to embrace broadcasting every match or at least recording them to broadcast quality. Taking that production in house brings in a wealth of intelligence and knowledge that is a base for a media team to build from. It means we don't rely on sky for Video referees and big screens at games. It also means we can sell the broadcast feeds independently. Could be per week 4 to Sky, 1 to Channel 4 and 1 to OurLeague, and it would give us greater ability to sell overseas.

Does the RFL know what it wants OurLeague to be? It's a seemingly random bunch of things: kids matches, touch rugby, Leigh on PPV, Cornwall. There's no structure to it.

Does everything they show justify the cost? We have no idea on viewing figures as they never say.

Edited by RigbyLuger
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Does the RFL know what it wants OurLeague to be? It's a seemingly random bunch of things: kids matches, touch rugby, Leigh on PPV, Cornwall. There's no structure to it.

Does everything they show justify the cost? We have no idea on viewing figures as they never say.

We obviously don't know that, but for what Tommy is suggesting (broadcast quality for every game) it would cost a hell of a lot more than the kind of one camera set up most of the streams OurLeague shows. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

We obviously don't know that, but for what Tommy is suggesting (broadcast quality for every game) it would cost a hell of a lot more than the kind of one camera set up most of the streams OurLeague shows. 

We had conversations about this a year ago and, having looked into it, it looks like you can get broadcast quality to equal decent Red Button (with action replays) for c.£1,200-£1,500 per game.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Certainly.

People say they would pay £40-£50 a month for a SL subscription channel. That seems extraordinary bad value when that is about the same for Sky when I get a plethora of other sports content too, 3 SL games a week plus NRL. I can't even get watching all the content I record as is.

Time and again over the last decade and more people on here have been sounding the death knell for Sky and the like. I've never seen a decent argument to back that up and still don't.

The £40/50  I said I'd pay would be assuming EVERY game is broadcast in at least some format. I'm talking I'd want at least 2 proper broadcasts with all the cameras etc a week, then a paired down version would be ok for rest (say something like a simple  Our league style)

I don't think it will happen but I wish it would.....I'd pretty much watch every game 

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The £40/50  I said I'd pay would be assuming EVERY game is broadcast in at least some format. I'm talking I'd want at least 2 proper broadcasts with all the cameras etc a week, then a paired down version would be ok for rest (say something like a simple  Our league style)

I don't think it will happen but I wish it would.....I'd pretty much watch every game 

I know what you meant. As I said that seems extraordinarily bad value and I very much doubt there would be many takers.

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You think? About 20 odd games for £40/50 a month ?

I'd pay that, but in return I'd want:

• - WatchNRL
  • - Every SL game
  • - Championship game of the round & highlights
  • - Occasional L1 games & regular highlights
  • - WSL game of the round & highlights
  • - Internationals
  • - Podcasts/Magazine shows
  • - Highlights from France, USA, 9s etc...

And I'd want it all in HD, available on AppleTV and on demand.

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I'd pay that, but in return I'd want:

• - WatchNRL
  • - Every SL game
  • - Championship game of the round & highlights
  • - Occasional L1 games & regular highlights
  • - WSL game of the round & highlights
  • - Internationals
  • - Podcasts/Magazine shows
  • - Highlights from France, USA, 9s etc...

And I'd want it all in HD, available on AppleTV and on demand.

A happy ending too?

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You think? About 20 odd games for £40/50 a month ?

The problem is that in reality, the number of people that would be interested or have the time to watch 20 odd games a month would be tiny. 

The benefit comes from the fact that you can always watch your team, but again, many fans would be going live so that benefit reduces. 

I'd struggle to see many pay more than £15 per month tbh

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

The only sport that could even dare put all its content on its own service is football- and even they balk at it.  A couple of years ago there were strong rumours that the NFL was going to drop Sky and put everything into GamePass, which is a brilliant platform but basically preaching to the converted. In the end they renewed with Sky, reportedly for less than they pay us. But what a brilliant slot they have, 7+ hours every Sunday night right through the winter, keeping them in people's minds.

So we have to keep some sort of broadcast option or else that's it for trying to broaden the game's audience, especially away form the M62 corridor. Think of us poor southerners!

I suppose we could try a weekly game on terrestrial and then everything else on a RFL owned subscription platform, but a b.o.f.p calculation suggests that you'd need at least 150k people paying £20 a month to break even. Not impossible, but not quite where we are yet, I think.

My hope over the next 5 years is that we do what we said we would, and find a way for people who want to be able to pay to watch the other 3-4 SL games each week that aren't being shown on Sky. You could make it quite pricey - £14.99 or some such -  but you'd get a few thousand for each and it would add up, without affecting Sky or the gates IMO. Then a few years down the line we could think about rolling that up into a service if that's the way the sector is going.   

As a stranded southerner I'd def pay a fiver for each SL game each week

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

NRL equivalent is circa £25pm

57 minutes ago, Scubby said:

NRL equivalent is circa £25pm

Does the NRL have an equivalent? Watch nrl is for international viewers. How do Aussies get access to every game? Would it be via fox? 

6 hours ago, JF1 said:

There are 3 NRL games being shown on Sky this weekend,2 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday.

Yes. Not showing up under 'Rugby League' on my list but there as Other Sport.

Whoever loaded up the details this week seems to have made similar errors on other sports too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Its cheaper annually as I have it-  about a £100 a year 

Surely different though as that is a foreign sale..... What does that Kato thing cost the Aussies domestically?

https://help.kayosports.com.au/s/article/How-much-does-a-Kayo-subscription-cost

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

OMG, that's amazing. Basically every match of every mainstream Aussie sport, plus more, for £15 a month. Why can't we have that? I'd sign up in a flash. Frankly even if that's a loss-leader price, I pay more than twice that for NOWTV and don't get that much.

22 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm broadly the same, I would keep Sky for RL, but it is the multi product element that works for me. I enjoy other 'entertainment business products' 😉 such as F1, Football, Football etc.

If RL ever left Sky I would have to seriously consider though as its the bundle that makes me pay the money I do. 

I would imagine that Sky have as much if not more data on the habits of people who subscribe just for RL as anyone. If many of those subscribe for RL and its portfolio like you do then it makes sense for them to keep RL within that cluster of sports.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I would imagine that Sky have as much if not more data on the habits of people who subscribe just for RL as anyone. If many of those subscribe for RL and its portfolio like you do then it makes sense for them to keep RL within that cluster of sports.

What they don't understand, and can't yet is where the tipping point is. 

Sky is only valuable to me with RL on there. I'd be happy to adapt my viewing habits on other sports that are secondary to me, but I wouldn't pay a fortune to watch them when I can get highlights on terrestrial TV. 

But they don't know that - and the only way they can learn it is by sacking RL for a year and tracking the results. What customers tell them is worth zip. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

What they don't understand, and can't yet is where the tipping point is. 

Sky is only valuable to me with RL on there. I'd be happy to adapt my viewing habits on other sports that are secondary to me, but I wouldn't pay a fortune to watch them when I can get highlights on terrestrial TV. 

But they don't know that - and the only way they can learn it is by sacking RL for a year and tracking the results. What customers tell them is worth zip. 

A lot of fans in the heartlands are savvy tight #####, that comes with the territory. The cost of living and pandemic would have increased the prospect of fans cancelling subscriptions in October and re-subscribing (or not) in February. My Dad did it every year for a long time as he only gets it for RL and darts really.

Given the summer nature of RL that might create a clear pattern if they binned SL. Also, maybe they don't want all the exclusivity like they used to but, as you say, will keep enough to hold onto those multi-sport (RL preference) subscribers. 

• Like 2